To Glove or not to Glove???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you don gloves when waxing?

• I Never EVER wear gloves, who needs them?

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • I wear gloves only for intimate waxing.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I ALWAYS wear gloves, I'm not touching anyone with out them!!

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Gloves are up to my professional judgement, I will wear them if I feel I need to.

Votes: 25 46.3%

• Total voters

Jeni Giles

Reaction score
The question has sparked a debate, regluations not to be ignored, truly do you glove up prior to waxing or not.

Our safety regulations do not require us to wear gloves- I however consider that I am a relatively smart individual that has my own and my clients health in the forefront so when waxing intimate areas or underarms I generally don gloves.

Typically when waxing a lip or brow, I do not draw blood and am comfortable enough with my techniques that I feel safe as do my clients. Waxing clients are usually well informed and have their service done by professionals who have trained in safely performing this service. With the reports in the news of skin infections and what clients should be looking for in terms of salon cleanliness, I am confident about my methods, however if a client requested I don gloves for their protection I most certainly would.

Intimate area waxing is an entirely different scenario. The hair is rooted much more deeply, they are coarser, stronger and in a highly sensitive, well vasculated area. The changes for drawing blood are much much higher. I am more comfortable with gloves in an intimate area, clients also seem to be more comfortable with gloves for intimate areas. The service with gloves seems more clinical and loses the personal space invasion feeling that can accompany being waxed in an area that few people are ever invited to see, let alone touch. Gloves are an essential barrier that reduces embarresment for some clients, prevents possible infection from bacteria left on our hands even if we have washed and used a hand sanitizer, and serve as protection from bloodborne pathogens.

All in all, areas that are exposed and do not require undressing, chances are, I'm not wearing gloves....I'm most likely not going to end up with a blood spill either. If they have to undress, then I dress up...in gloves that is!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

It's funny how some people turn a blind eye if say a nail tech draws blood when doing cuticle work or catching the skin with their nippers or file.........or when you see therapists squeeze blackheads and spots..........all without gloves.

Also, there are some people who say they wear gloves, but don't. Probably the same ones who say that their wax pots are spotless when in fact they're filthy.

These comments are not directed towards any particular geeks........I'm referring to what I've seen in some salons over the years. xxxxx

I would use gloves for intimate waxing. I use them for black head/spot squeezing as then you can really go for it!! LOVE IT!

i use gloves for all waxing except legs even tho i dont draw blood on hardley any clients brows,lip or under arms its just become second nature to me.

And oh my god i would never touch anyones spots without gloves (maybe my hubbys)

Also on that note i have been to a therapist who did me an underarm wax made me bleed as it was my first time dint have on gloves and even at the sight of blood dint put any on.

I seem to remember replying to a thread like this before and upset the geek who started it:eek:
Didn't mean to, she misunderstood me, but I'll give the same answer every time.
As a customer if I go for a treatment that involves working on my skin, be that a tattoo or waxing or anything else I want to see gloves, it just strikes me as being more hygienic.
Its not even a case of drawing blood, we all know how things get under the finger nails and in the process of removing hair I don't see how you can avoid removing skin cells, so if I see a pair of glove being put on I know the only skin cells around are my own, sorry if I'm a bit OTT on this but I want to see gloves and a tunic and disposable everything:lol:

I seem to remember replying to a thread like this before and upset the geek who started it:eek:
As a customer if I go for a treatment that involves working on my skin, be that a tattoo or waxing or anything else I want to see gloves, it just strikes me as being more hygienic.
Its not even a case of drawing blood, we all know how things get under the finger nails and in the process of removing hair I don't see how you can avoid removing skin cells, so if I see a pair of glove being put on I know the only skin cells around are my own, sorry if I'm a bit OTT on this but I want to see gloves and a tunic and disposable everything:lol:

i dont think that its OTT at all as a customer i think its your right to make sure the procedure what ever it may be is done safe and hygienic especially for more intimate things

, I am confident about my methods, however if a client requested I don gloves for their protection I most certainly would.

No offence, it's your preference that your therapist wear gloves, works for me- if you show up in my school (new students are needing wax models next week) when the student does your consultation and after care they are supposed to ask if you would prefer they wear gloves. The training video we have shows both ways, so they know that it can be done(I won't garuntee they remember too, but most clients who prefer gloves usually mention it at some point)

I'd rather have a happy comfortable client with all expectations met than one who left unsatisfied. (you can be OTT, I am about cleaning the area around the waxing station and any implements used)

(you can be OTT, I am about cleaning the area around the waxing station and any implements used)

LOL I find that very reassuring:green:

I hope it never comes to the stage where i have to wear gloves...I don't.I feel like i lose the control i like, and to be honest with those people i know very well, (they dont bleed ) i put my hand down on them after removal to take the sting away.

I would wear gloves if i were to do intimate waxing and i mean real intimate waxing ,because of secretions and also as a modesty barrier.

As far as im concerned unless you see blood you or your client are at no more risk than if you were performing a massage and you cant do that in gloves.

I rarely have blood .If i do its on underarms and i dont touch area, simple as that.
Blood spotting from waxing tends to be just that, spotting and you can wipe area and its gone.

My hygiene is... before every client i wash my hands with a hot anti bacterial soap
Wipe client with pre wax

rub my hands in front of them with a gel alcohol wash before and after treatment and then after i hot wash my hands again.

All my pots and surface areas are wiped over with surgical spirit and everyone gets clean towels, spatulas,rollers and couch roll.

To be honest unless we are bleeding all over eachother what are we supposed to get.
Its surely common sense that if you have a cut cover it the same as anyone has to in food prep.

The question has sparked a debate, regluations not to be ignored, truly do you glove up prior to waxing or not.

Our safety regulations do not require us to wear gloves- I however consider that I am a relatively smart individual that has my own and my clients health in the forefront so when waxing intimate areas or underarms I generally don gloves.

Typically when waxing a lip or brow, I do not draw blood and am comfortable enough with my techniques that I feel safe as do my clients. Waxing clients are usually well informed and have their service done by professionals who have trained in safely performing this service. With the reports in the news of skin infections and what clients should be looking for in terms of salon cleanliness, I am confident about my methods, however if a client requested I don gloves for their protection I most certainly would.

Intimate area waxing is an entirely different scenario. The hair is rooted much more deeply, they are coarser, stronger and in a highly sensitive, well vasculated area. The changes for drawing blood are much much higher. I am more comfortable with gloves in an intimate area, clients also seem to be more comfortable with gloves for intimate areas. The service with gloves seems more clinical and loses the personal space invasion feeling that can accompany being waxed in an area that few people are ever invited to see, let alone touch. Gloves are an essential barrier that reduces embarresment for some clients, prevents possible infection from bacteria left on our hands even if we have washed and used a hand sanitizer, and serve as protection from bloodborne pathogens.

All in all, areas that are exposed and do not require undressing, chances are, I'm not wearing gloves....I'm most likely not going to end up with a blood spill either. If they have to undress, then I dress up...in gloves that is!

I agree with everything you have said :hug:

It's funny how some people turn a blind eye if say a nail tech draws blood when doing cuticle work or catching the skin with their nippers or file.........or when you see therapists squeeze blackheads and spots..........all without gloves.

Also, there are some people who say they wear gloves, but don't. Probably the same ones who say that their wax pots are spotless when in fact they're filthy.

These comments are not directed towards any particular geeks........I'm referring to what I've seen in some salons over the years. xxxxx

Again spot on :hug:

My opinion is as always:

Follow any laws or H&S etc if applicable
Use common sense
Take into consideration your clients needs and wants
Do not take any unnecessary risks!

xxxx

I only wear gloves if I have any open wounds on my hands. Other than that, I do not wear gloves for any waxing service. My clients watch me wash my hands before and after their service. As a body piercer, I have a very extensive understanding of how blood and all the diseases that go along with it work, and so I work within my comfort level, and provincial laws. That said, every client is different, and if I needed to, I have no problem putting on a pair of gloves.

I like to wear glove for almost all my waxing. I don't for Face waxing. But I'm pretty sure I don't want my hands on someone's "Naked Bits"! Plus if I get wax on my hands it super easy to just rip off a glove and put on a clean one. Than I don't waste time trying to get wax off with oil then having to get all the oil off... It just takes too long.
So gloves most of the time for me!

You have some great very valid points there Susie and I am sure no body (including myself) has taken any offense at what you have said. However, when you say treatments that involves working on skin that would class most treatments we do, including nail treatments, facials, massage etc and the clients would not gain full benefit of the treatment if gloves were worn for these.

Not a dig back but just curious - how would you feel if the therapist wore gloves for these other treatments? I certainly agree with the issue about wearing tunics and offering disposable items where possible, but this is more to show professionalism than anything else.

:hug:

I have never known any one person, client or therapist) who has contracted any disease from doing a beauty treatment without gloves. I did meet one lady who narrowly missed having her leg amputated after her chiropodist used a diry tool..........but that's different.

I have know clients ask that their therapist doesn't wear gloves as it's annoying and some feel ofended. Habia's guidlelines are just guidleines and are optional from reading their website.

As a beauty therapist I was taught to wear gloves when I do this as well as wrapping tissue around your fingers.

I also wear gloves when waxing intimate areas and would use my discretion in other areas.

I only push cuticles back. The only time I would nip would be if there is a large piece of cuticle hanging off and never close to the base so blood in that area as never been an issue for me.

Trish :hug:

I was trained at college to wear gloves and have ever since, I wear vinyl gloves and they are like a second skin.

If I went for a waxing treatment and my therapist was not wearing gloves I would ask him/her to wear them as I don't want anyones hands sweating over me, yuk !

I was trained at college to wear gloves and have ever since, I wear vinyl gloves and they are like a second skin.

If I went for a waxing treatment and my therapist was not wearing gloves I would ask him/her to wear them as I don't want anyones hands sweating over me, yuk !

But why are anyones hands sweating over you.Would you be worried if you had a massage or facial ,the skin on skin contact is a lot more prolonged.Apart from stretchingthe skin out which they can help a lot with you barely touch them.If you are not performing a very intimate treatment whats the difference.

But why are anyones hands sweating over you.Would you be worried if you had a massage or facial ,the skin on skin contact is a lot more prolonged.Apart from stretchingthe skin out which they can help a lot with you barely touch them.If you are not performing a very intimate treatment whats the difference.

Maybe I just sweat a lot then when Im waxing !! :lol: It must be me as I do get really hot when Im doing body waxing.

Facials & Massage is different as you have a oil,cream, etc as a barrier and no I don't sweat when im doing these lol !

Whilst training we wore gloves for waxing everything apart from the facial area, but I fail to see the difference say to facial waxing and waxing a leg if hygiene is impecable. I personally prefer to wax without them except where there is a higher possibility of blood spotting ie bikini.

I think its this obsession with health and safety whereby everyone thinks that they are going to catch something directly they have any physical contact with anyone in any way.
Puts a bit of a dappener on a Saturday night doesnt it.
I reckon if we follow the safe sex rules we might have a better understanding of it all.
Skin contact really is not that dangerous to our health.!!!

Latest posts

Back