too old for beauty school??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunny20

Reaction score
I am 28 and am thinking about training to become a beauty therapist. I currently work for a charity but am looking to get into something which is more people centered rather than office based.

I've had a look at some courses and beauty school websites and there's so much choice out there. Do you guy's think that the NVQ qualification does the job or would it be worth investing in the CIDESCO award?

Also do you think that at 28 I'm a little bit too old to start a career in beauty therapy? seriously considering the career change but just need some advice or any inspiring stories!

Hi Sunny, Well I was 37 when I retrained. I dont regret a minute of it....its been a fabulous learning curve for me. I may not ever get a job in a beauty salon but that doesnt bother me. Im coming to the end of my level 3 and have done cpd courses throughout the year. Im happy mobile . Just go do it girl....good luck

Your only a young girl.............28 is not old 78 is :D Just a word of inspiration.......I went back to college at 27 and while doing my course I did work experience at a charity as their office manager (had no experience) while I trained in IT, best thing I ever did as it gave me so much experience and confidence, I graduated in IT and got a top job in london. Three years later I took a year out and got a job as an air stewardess which was fantastic while i was air stewardessing I saw an ad for female Dj's in Thailand and Dubai, and as I did DJ in spare time, I got the job :D I was 30 by now I did that for 2 years then decided to come back to uk and settle down, while back in uk went back to IT in london and while doing that I did evening course in music production, I composed a piece of dance music which was used at the london fashion awards where models sauntered down the catwalk to my music, then my IT company bought the music for our their website and presentations..........I then decided to embark on my other passion for hair extensions and I am now a qualified hair extensionist with my own mobile business....So,,,,,,,,,never say never and NEVER be scared to go for it...You never know Where it may lead you, we are here to learn and you never stop :D hope this helps x

I am 28 and am thinking about training to become a beauty therapist. I currently work for a charity but am looking to get into something which is more people centered rather than office based.

I've had a look at some courses and beauty school websites and there's so much choice out there. Do you guy's think that the NVQ qualification does the job or would it be worth investing in the CIDESCO award?

Also do you think that at 28 I'm a little bit too old to start a career in beauty therapy? seriously considering the career change but just need some advice or any inspiring stories!

28 old? Don't make me laugh, 28 is not old, you are in your prime,
it is an idea age to get into the beauty industry,
if i were interviewing and a 16 yr old came, a 18 yr old came and a 28 yr old came for the job and you were all equal other than age, i would employ the 28 yr old, you would have more life experience and hopefully more sense on your shoulders than the other two, so if anything your age would help you rather than hinder you hth,
NVQ is the recognised qualification that employers look for,
sorry but i don't much about the other qualification so can not advise on that one but some one on here will know about it,
when you decide which course you want to take it would be a good idea to get in touch with the guild of beauty insurance company and double check that it is a recognised qualification that you would get at the end of your course hth
by the way i was almost 35 when i first got into the industry and my age has never held me back :hug:

Well you're a damn sight younger than me hun! If it's something you really want to do, then go for it.

There are a lot of people on this site who discovered a whole new career later in life. Good luck. xx

Your only a young girl.............28 is not old 78 is :D Just a word of inspiration.......I went back to college at 27 and while doing my course I did work experience at a charity as their office manager (had no experience) while I trained in IT, best thing I ever did as it gave me so much experience and confidence, I graduated in IT and got a top job in london. Three years later I took a year out and got a job as an air stewardess which was fantastic while i was air stewardessing I saw an ad for female Dj's in Thailand and Dubai, and as I did DJ in spare time, I got the job :D I was 30 by now I did that for 2 years then decided to come back to uk and settle down, while back in uk went back to IT in london and while doing that I did evening course in music production, I composed a piece of dance music which was used at the london fashion awards where models sauntered down the catwalk to my music, then my IT company bought the music for our their website and presentations..........I then decided to embark on my other passion for hair extensions and I am now a qualified hair extensionist with my own mobile business....So,,,,,,,,,never say never and NEVER be scared to go for it...You never know Where it may lead you, we are here to learn and you never stop :D hope this helps x
Wow! This is just the kind of story I was after. You've really lived life and it makes me feal so much better to know that its not too late to learn new skill and change my life direction. Thanx's x

I am nearly 36 and last september I totally had a change of direction and went back to college to start my nvq ' s in hairdressing.....i am mid age in my class the range is from 19 to late 40's for my class...and i love it....
Also there are quite alot of mature students at my college doing their beauty training too....never too old.....and its nice being at college and being mature watching the younger students how they act with lads etc its quite funny to think we where like that.......i really enjoy it

To old at 28 ohhh how rude lol .Am 36 and ive been training in different things for the last 3 years. am doing beauty therpy level 2 at moment and i finsh in june july time not sure yet.
and theres older ladys than me there. go for it...:D

Your younge at 28 i was 38 when i went back to college and i thought the same.Yes i was the oldest i think there but the girls were great and we`had a great laugh as im younge in my mind anyway {not in body tho lol}.

Anyway you go for it you have got loads of years yet and a very enjoyable career ahead of you.

Good luck zena xx

The oldest person in my class was 38 :D

hi i was 28 when i did my training i think some clients prefer a mature person whilst others prefer the younger ones !! go for it you'll never be sorry :D

lso do you think that at 28 I'm a little bit too old to start a career in beauty therapy? seriously considering the career change but just need some advice or any inspiring stories!

:Look_righIt's never to late to learn:Look_left

28 is young - go for it, I am 36 and only just training now.

I am nvq level 2 and 3 trained in beauty and did all my extra training in the salon i work in. Nvq was fine for me to get started on and you can allways get more trained along your way.

The oldest lady on my course was 60!!!! GO FOR IT!!! It's hard work but it's so worthwhile and you definitely won't regret it!!!
:D

Hi, I asked the same question on here when I was thinking about training, and I am 51...and as they all resoundingly said......you are never to old....so here I am training lol...Good luck
Suze x

28 is really young in my eyes.

I started college last year just days after my 40th Birthday, loads of the teenagers have given up half way through the course but I am still going strong and almost finished my Level 2 and have applied to go back and do Level 3.

Give it a go, you have nothing to lose.

The oldest lady on my course was 60!!!! GO FOR IT!!! It's hard work but it's so worthwhile and you definitely won't regret it!!!

Wow 60 I really admire this lady , and at 28 I think you are still very young ,
if you like the course you have chosen , just go for it hun x
never let a thing like age stop you :hug: x

60 - how fabulous

your still a baby at 28, defiantly go for it. Beauty is the best trade to be in, I would not give it up for the world. Once you are qualified too there are lots of different options too. College lecturer, sales rep, trainer, salon owner, beauty editor ect.

Usually in colleges they have three groups, 2 groups of college leavers 16/17/18 year olds and another of mature students 20 years plus. Mature student groups have all ages up to 60. When I do teaching in colleges I love teaching the mature students as they all want to learn and do not mess about.

Latest posts

Back