Anyone else have IBS?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaireL

Reaction score
Hi

Meh I have moderate IBS my triggers are usually stress or a bad diet (eating too much processed food) but occasionally it just happens for no real reason

Today is one of those days - not stressed and eating well but really bad IBS :( my meds for it aren't working so Im just sat on the sofa in my PJs with my dressing gown on and my puppy lay over my legs feeling sorry for myself :(

MEH!!

Drinking a good quality aloe vera drink can help. Some of my friends and clients swear by it.

Mat

Artichoke capsules from the health food shop! you will notice the difference in 24 hours, promise! o.h has same and they have made huge change to his life. now he only takes a couple of doses if we are going to be over indulging. They are a bit pricey but totally worth it.

Awww, I have this too and I really feel for you! Hope you're feeling better.
With me, foods do trigger it, but when I get nervous, I often associate the 'butterflies' feeling for a bout coming on which makes me more nervous because I'm like oh my god, I can't have this now I've got such-and-such to do. Its affected my confidence because I never want to put myself in a position when I'm nervous.
And I hate hate HATE getting it when I'm not at home! The panic I feel when I'm not sure where the loos are and I'm in pain and everything, oh it's so horrible!
I'm so scared that when I get a job in a salon, because I'll be quite nervous in the job to begin with, I'll get it at work and I'm not going to be able to pull sickys because that's not going to give a good impression, everyone will work out it's me. Do you ever have it at work and if you did how did you deal with it at first when you didn't know people that well so you can just be honest with them about it?
I'm definitely going to look into the aloe Vera drink and artichoke capsules!

Hi,
I've suffered with IBS since I was a teen, (a hundred years ago)
About 6 weeks ago I had a really bad spell, eg constant pain,constipation,bloating, etc
My triggers are chocolate takeaways alcohol white bread some fruits.
So I decided to give up the booze and takeaways for lent, along with swapping milk for soya.
Omg. I haven't looked back. It's been fantastic AND I've lost 6lb too.
So when Lent is over I'll be sticking to this new diet.

Deb x

I've had it for 22 yrs, you get no help or sympathy from doctors, i have been trying to get a milk intolerance test for years and years, but they just tell you to do a diary.Food intolerance can show up just after eating/drinking the problem food or could react a couple of days later,this makes a food diary impossible to work out.I seem to bloat, constipation, wind, pain, massive tummy.followed by the runs. I think my problems is white bread, wheat, milk.I've tried all remedies for IBS ,none work for me, it helps if i can do load belches lol, very attractive.I've just stopped cereals again, and am feeling loads better. Hope your feeling better soon.x
(oh pepsi or cola helps the bloating, and white wine. not sure why):biggrin:

With me, foods do trigger it, but when I get nervous, I often associate the 'butterflies' feeling for a bout coming on which makes me more nervous because I'm like oh my god, I can't have this now I've got such-and-such to do. Its affected my confidence because I never want to put myself in a position when I'm nervous.
And I hate hate HATE getting it when I'm not at home! The panic I feel when I'm not sure where the loos are and I'm in pain and everything, oh it's so horrible!
I'm so scared that when I get a job in a salon, because I'll be quite nervous in the job to begin with, I'll get it at work and I'm not going to be able to pull sickys because that's not going to give a good impression, everyone will work out it's me. Do you ever have it at work and if you did how did you deal with it at first when you didn't know people that well so you can just be honest with them about it?

This is exactly what happens to me and how I feel I hate it.
I feel like I carnt eat in public which because I works self up so bad it makes it 10 times worse :(
My doctor won't prescribe anything I practically live of Imodium!

When I need it at work I just go, I never used to in the beginning I used to wait until the hairdressers weren't coming upstairs but I just think every one has to go

Do any of you find it's normally just in the morning and wares of after dinner time x

So many echoes of my life!

A big step forward was when I had gluten intolerance diagnosed. I'm a lot better, but still have some problems.

I do urge all you IBS sufferers to have proper, hospital based tests. It took years for me; don't wait that long. Insist.

I have to know where the loos are wherever I go. I do find that being calm helps, and still take Imodium at intervals.

I also have really bad IBS, mine started 3 years ago when i was made redundant. Ive been on buscopan, strong anti acid pills and anti spasmodics (for crones disease). And none of it worked and my doctors just ignore me everytime i begged for them to do something. Ive given up now and just live with my hot water bottle lol. My triggers are stress, acidic fruits (all apart from bananas), and very milky/creamy foods also im very bad with acidic chinese meals (which i love). Caffiene is also horrific for me. I just feel so trapped sometimes lol. Dont you just love doctors lol

I have had ibs for about 12 years and it took a very long time to get a doctor to listen to me. My gastroenterologist thinks I should just be happy it's benign, but clearly he's never had to feel miserable and in pain, because no one would be happy to have ibs. My only suggestion is to look into low FODMAP's diet. With the help of a dietition you should be able to work out food triggers so u know what to avoid. Hope you feel better soon.

The only thing that helped me was reflexology. Infact, that's why I started a reflexology course 15 years ago...I wanted to know why it had helped me so much, lol!

Really hope you feel better soon as it does make you feel blah! x

Hi, i really feel for you and totally understand. I have had IBS for 14 years and went all through high school with it too. (Nightmare!) I also have worse symptoms when I get nervous. Ie. when i go on a long car journey and I know I may not make it to a toilet, all I can think about is omg what if?

I also try to not put myself in situations that make me nervous, but its not always possible. I also understand the fear of using a public toilet. It is horrible because its embarrassing and people are extremely cruel.
However, now I do use a public loo when I need to, and i have a thing that I repeat in my head which helps me.
"Would people prefer you to **** in the pub or **** in the toilet?Whats more embarrassing?"

Lol i know thats hilarious but it works because it makes me laugh.
I have been at work when it has happened (almost every day) and again, I just get on with it. I know thats easier said than done but if someone does know its you, they aren't gonna shoot you :)

If you are that upset or worried, ask your manager to have a word with the rest of the staff and ask them to be sensitive towards the matter. You will be surprised how undertanding people can be.
I hope this helps and good luck xx

Such a relief to know im not alone with this! Thank u everyone for sharing.

Unfortunately most veg are a trigger for me, along with wine and coffee. I suffer with anxiety/depression which i think is prob the worst culprit.

But since having my children i have noticed that my IBS symptoms are much much worse about a week before my period, anyone else get this?

Im convinced that after all this time much of my problem has got to be hormonal, gp recommends the pill, but im gonna try the natural remedy route first.

Sent from my X10i using SalonGeek

But since having my children i have noticed that my IBS symptoms are much much worse about a week before my period, anyone else get this?

This is definatly true for me, i have the implant so no periods now but i definatly noticed it had stopped flaring up badly around that time every month when i first got my implant in.

Hi All

Thanks for sharing - I did worry maybe I had over-shared when I originally posted LOL

Im going to try acouple of your suggestions! Although Im feeling abit better today!

Someone asked if you have it worse in the morning and I do although Ive noticed its now happening at any time of the day!

Does anyone else notice the looks people give you if they ask whats up and you say IBS they look at you like its nothing! I think unless you had it you dont know just how poorly it can make you feel!

I hope everyone who is feeling meh feels better soon!

xx

I have ulcerative colitis and IBS. I now have the colitis under control but I am constantly constipated, bloated, lots of wind and it's driving me insane! I've been taking a digestive mix of seeds from conciousfoods.co.uk for a couple of weeks now and I think that may be helping slightly but really wanted a magic cure! I tried aloe Vera and it didn't help me but have heard others have had success with it.

Yes and many other stomach problems, my insides are a bit of a mess! Had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago following such severe pain that on one occasion caused me to pass out and need to be rushed to hospital by ambulance! It didn't work properly so had to be removed but the pain is still there and is usually when I haven't eaten and need to or if I overeat, all due to the IBS still.
I also suffer severely with endometriosis and that causes me to have a "spastic colon" on top of my other tummy troubles. It is incredibly painful at times and I can go anywhere up to 8 weeks without going to the toilet :o Doctors have basically given up, I have had test after test, eliminated foods, nothing made a blind bit of difference.

BUT after doing my OWN research, I have found Linseeds (also known as Flax seeds). Amazeballs. Who knew that these little things would work such wonders. And not only are they good for IBS and other stomach related issues but they are fabulous for controlling and even losing weight, for your heart, help to fight off cancer cells, massively high in B vitamins and Omega 3 so great for your skin and all round general health, they also apparently help with night sweats for menopause and other hormone related problems. These little seeds are seriously amazing. I urge you all to try them, you will feel and notice the difference. My Dad was so impressed, he now has them every day and they have helped him with a few medical problems. If you're going to get them, you want the whole Golden Linseeds, you can get from health food shop.

I suffer also and it's always at the worst times! Eg night out or long car journey!! It gets to the point where if I'm going out for dinner and to the pub after I can hardly eat anything just incase! My boyfriend doesn't understand that when I say I need to go to the toilet I need to go right away! Men lol... I find the immodium instants help me, even if u know they are are in my bag it makes me feel better

Latest posts

Back