Cheap Healthy Meals - share your secrets!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is quite Healthy and I had this tonight.

1. Chopped White Onion

2. Chopped Red Onion

3. Lettuce

4. Olives

5. Red Peppers

6. Green Peppers

7. Pitta Bread

8. Keebab Meat

9. Chilli Sauce

Yum diddy dum, dum YUM, YUM! :lol:

Yes KMA.
That is a kebab babes!!!
And you did ok till u got to no 8
boohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lmao

Yes KMA.
That is a kebab babes!!!
And you did ok till u got to no 8
boohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo lmao

Do you reckon that gave it away? lol

Do you reckon that gave it away? lol

You are very bad at cooking.
So am I
but I may try!!!!!!!!:)
MAY being the operative word here:lol:

Ya know, I'm quite good at it but bloody hate it. Sometimes when I'm into it the smell of it puts me off what I'm going to eat.

Hmm yes I know what you mean.
By the time you made it....it's too late to eat it:cry:

I do a chicken soup after we have had a roast chicken on a sunday.

Boil the carcass with an onion and carrot and herbs. Simmer for at least 2 hours.

Strain stock and remove chicken from bones. Throw the bones away!!!!!

Add chicken, 2-3 med spuds, diced, a handful of barley, more water and a couple of oxo to the stock and season and stick in slow cooker for the day. You can add more veg if you want.

I guess it prob costs a couple of quid for entire meal and we have it with fresh crusty bread and butter.

Not bad when the chicken has already done 3 for a sunday lunch and sarnies for supper or lunch the next day.

Rach xx

Very Healthy Mousakka

Chopped onion
Lamb Mince Lean approx 750g
Handful fresh chopped mint
Tin of chopped tomatoes of tub or herb & garlic passatta
1 teaspoon of chopped garlic or more if you like
Salt & Pepper
2 aubergines or potatoes if you don't like a'gines
large tub of 0% total fat free greek yoghurt
2 eggs
84g reduced fat cheddar type cheese.

1.Wash and slice aubergines (or peel & slice pots) about 1/2cm, Spray a baking sheet with fry light and put the slices on, spray with fry light and pop into over 190c/375F gas for about 10-15 mins until softened.
2. Put onion in a pan add 2 tablespoons water, put lid on & simmer slowly to soften about 5 mins.
3. Add lean minced lamb & cook till sealed. Drain off any excess fat if needed.
4. Add tomatoes/passatta, garlic, mint, salt & pepper. Cover and simmer for about 20 mins.
5. Line a large baking /lasagna dish with aubergine slices, then meat mixture & another layer etc until you used up all meat, but finish with aubergine layer.
6. Put yogurt into large bowl, add the eggs and the grated cheese, mix well the pour over the meat & aubergines. You can add grated cheese on top if your not trying to diet. Allow it sink in well.
7. Bake in oven until the top is nicely browned.

Serve with a crisp green salad or just on it's own.

Please note all Slimming world dieters - this is a syn free recipe if you include your portion of the cheese as a healthy extra. Can also be made with quorn, but won't have the lamby taste.

I love this & it's even better the next day, & ate this 3 times last week & still lost 7lbs when I went for my weigh in.

Enjoy!

I do a chicken soup after we have had a roast chicken on a sunday.

Boil the carcass with an onion and carrot and herbs. Simmer for at least 2 hours.

Strain stock and remove chicken from bones. Throw the bones away!!!!!

Add chicken, 2-3 med spuds, diced, a handful of barley, more water and a couple of oxo to the stock and season and stick in slow cooker for the day. You can add more veg if you want.

I guess it prob costs a couple of quid for entire meal and we have it with fresh crusty bread and butter.

Not bad when the chicken has already done 3 for a sunday lunch and sarnies for supper or lunch the next day.

Rach xx

I do that as well Rach - some people used to think I was mad, but pennies make pounds :wink2:

Another soup which is cheap and tasty is leek and potato

couple of leeks - sliced thinly

some spuds - chopped into whatever size you like :green:

onion - chopped

garlic

veg stock

chicken stock - optional

black and red pepper

bay leaves

put everything in a pan and cook until potatoes are nice and soft - then either eat as

a chunky soup - and add cream as an optional - yum yum

or blend for a smooth soup - add cream as above :green:

Quick pizza

Use either pitta breads or wraps. Or Aldi's naan breads - plain or garlic.

Tomatoe puree and garlic puree mixed with dried basil.

Mozzarella or any cheese

Cherry tomatoes - but we like to use red chillis on top

Bake in the oven.

Cheap, quick and really tasty.

Last edited:
Tomato & Rice Soup

1 small tin tomato puree
1 tin chopped tomatoes with herbs
3 chicken or vegetable stock cubes
1 cup of long grain rice
2 tbsp brown caster sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 pints of water
Salt & pepper to taste

Bring all ingredients to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.

Serve with chunks of crusty bread.

Does anyone have any more suggestions that aren't soup :D :D

Please. There's a few i'm gonna try on here already,thanks ladies x

Cottage Pie
1lb lean beef mince
1 diced onion
1 tin chopped tomatoes (drained)
1 tbsp dried mixed vegetables
1 tbsp tomato puree
Salt & pepper to taste

Brown mince with onion in a pan. Add remaining ingredients, and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.

For the topping
3 large baking potatoes
Knob of margerine/butter or splash of milk

Peel and cut into medium size chunks, boil in slightly salted water until soft, then mash together with a knob of margerine/butter or alternatively, a splash of milk.

Assemble meat mixture in a oven-proof dish, spread the mashed potato over the top, mark with a fork and bake in for 1 and a half hours at 180c.

Sorry Becki but I have just prepped all the ingredients for another soup :lol: And yes, of course all the ingredients have gone into the slow cooker yet again:

Diced 3 onions, 2 cloves of garlic chopped and fried until soft.
Added curry powder, cumin, tumeric, ginger and ground coriander spices and dry fried for 3 mins.
Added cubed parsnips and potatoes and 2 pints of vegetable stock and they are now simmering for about an hour. Once cooked through will be blended and will taste delicious!

Lovely Curried Parsnip and Potato soup!

Puttenesca (sp?) Sauce

Chopped anchovies
Capers
Black olives
Chilli powder
Basil
Oregano
Tinned tomatoes
Garlic
Bacon (optional)
Red wine (optional, but not in my house:green:)

Gently fry the bacon and garlic, chuck in the rest in quantites to your taste and leave to hubble and bubble for at least half an hour. The longer you cook it, the better it tastes.

For those that don't like anchovies, don't worry. They add a sweetish flavour and don't taste fishy at all! I hate anchovies normally but they really add to this.

Once you've got jars of the highlighted ingredients it's cheap as chips the next couple of times. I make a huge pan of it and freeze it down. You can have it with all kinds of pasta and it's delicious.

I jusr printed off loads of these, infact my shopping was based on a few of them :lol:

My kids tried the pizza's this weekend, HUGE hit!

Here are some I use, I love my slow cooker and do beef stew and dumplings in it (seasonal veg is always cheaper)

Bacon Stuffed Mushrooms
Ingredients
1 pound medium size fresh mushrooms
4 bacon slices, diced
1/2 cup minced onion, or use part green onion
2 tsp. minced fresh green pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs, plain
1/4 cup hot water
Directions
Clean mushrooms, remove and chop stems; set aside. Fry bacon in a heavy skillet. Remove with a slotted spoon and set on paper towels to drain. In bacon drippings, sauté onion, green pepper, and chopped mushroom stems until tender; drain. Soften cream cheese; blend in cooked bacon and vegetables. Press mixture firmly into mushroom caps, mounding a bit. Place bread crumbs in a small bowl. Turn filled mushroom caps upside down and press gently in the bread crumbs to coat tops. Place in a 9x13x2-inch baking dish. Add hot water to pan and bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes at 325 degrees F.
Makes about 2-1/2 dozen stuffed mushrooms

Stuffed Mushrooms
Ingredients
1 dozen fresh large mushrooms
1/2 cup melted butter, divided
2 Tbsp. finely chopped green bell pepper
3 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
1-1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash black pepper
Dash ground cayenne pepper
Parmesan cheese
Directions
Clean mushrooms; remove stems, leaving caps whole, chop stems. Sauté mushroom caps in 3 tablespoons of butter; set aside. Sauté chopped stems, green pepper, and chopped onion in remaining butter until onion is tender; stir in bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir to mix well. Stuff each mushroom cap with bread crumb mixture; sprinkle each stuffed mushroom with a little Parmesan cheese. Place stuffed mushrooms in a greased baking dish. Bake at 325 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Serves 8

Salsa Chicken (Slow cooker)
Ingredients
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
One envelope taco seasoning
1 jar of salsa (approximately 1 1/2 cups salsa)
Directions
Place 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in bottom of crockpot. It is okay if you start with frozen chicken, allow 2 hours extra cooking time. Sprinkle one packet of taco seasoning mix all over top of chicken (I like to use the low-sodium version that McCormick's sells, but any brand is fine). On top of that pour one bottle of salsa or piquant sauce (any size). Use mild or medium, or hot if your family likes it that way. Set slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours. That's it!
This is so good shredded for tacos or tucked into burritos! Even good eaten by itself. Couldn't be easier, and it smells so good while cooking!

Mom's Five-Minute Fudge
Ingredients
1-12 oz. semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk (1/214 oz. can)
1 Tbsp. water
3/4 can chopped walnuts, toasted (if desired)
vanilla
Directions
Line the cookie sheet with waxed paper. Set aside. In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate pieces, milk, and water. Microwave uncovered on high for 1 minute or until all melted and smooth, stir every 30 seconds. Add nuts, and vanilla. Pour onto cookie sheet and spread in 9x6 inch, rectangle. Cool 30 minutes. Makes 24 pieces.

Banana Pudding Squares
Ingredients
35 Nilla wafers, finely crushed
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 pkg. (8 oz) Philadelphia Neufchatel cheese, softened (or regular cream cheese)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tub (8 oz.) Cool Whip, thawed, divided
3 medium ripe bananas
3 cups milk (2% ok)
2 pkgs. (4-servings size ea.) Jell-o vanilla flavour Instant pudding and pie filling. (Works with sugar free too)
1/2 square Baker's semi-sweet baking chocolate, grated
Directions
Combine wafers and butter; press firmly onto bottom of 13x9-inch dish. Mix Neufchatel cheese and powdered sugar until well blended. Stir in 1-1/2 cups of the whipped topping. Spread evenly over crust; set aside. Cut bananas in half crosswise; cut each piece lengthwise in half. Arrange over Neufchatel cheese mixture. Pour milk into a large bowl. Add dry pudding mixes. Beat with wire whisk 2 minutes. Spoon over bananas. Spread with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle evenly with chocolate. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftover dessert in refrigerator.
Tip: Ease of removing dessert from dish: Line dish with foil before using, with ends of foil extending over sides of dish. Prepare recipe as directed. When ready to serve, remove dessert from dish using foil handles. Cut dessert into pieces as directed.
Can use the Jell-0 Chocolate flavour instant pudding and pie filling in place of the vanilla, if desired.

No Bake Cookie Clusters
Ingredients
· 1 (12 oz) package white chocolate chips
· 2 Tbsp. peanut butter
· 1 1/4 cups rice krispies
· 1 cup Spanish peanuts
· 1 cup mini marshmallows
Directions
Line cookie sheet with wax paper. In saucepan melt chips with the peanut butter over low heat stirring constantly. Let mixture cool slightly then stir in cereal and peanuts. Fold in marshmallows and drop by tablespoonfuls onto wax paper. Let cool until firm.

Mochachino Brownies
Ingredients:
Brownies:
· 1/2 cup butter or margarine (not spread)
· 4 squares unsweetened chocolate
· 1 Tbsp. instant coffee powder
· 1 cup sugar
· 3 eggs, beaten
· 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
· 3/4 cup flour
· 1/4 tsp. salt
· 1 cup chocolate chips
· 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Icing:
· 1/4 cup butter, softened
· 2 cups confectioners' sugar
· 2 Tbsp. coffee liqueur or cold strong coffee
· Cinnamon
Directions:
Brownies:
Melt butter and chocolate together. Add coffee powder. Stir in sugar, eggs, vanilla, and salt. Mix well. Add flour and stir to combine. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Pour into a greased 9-inch square pan. Bake at 325 degrees F., for about 40 minutes. Cool completely before icing.
Icing:
In a small bowl beat the butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, and continue beating until smooth. Beat in liqueur (or cold coffee) to combine. Spread icing over the cooled brownies. Sprinkle cinnamon over top. Cut into squares. Store in the refrigerator

Cheesy Filled Bagels
Children often love the combination of sweet and savoury, which makes these cheesy filled bagels perfect. Serve warm for a great after school snack or cold as part of a packed lunch.
Preparation time - 15 minutes and cooking time - 10 minutes
For four bagels, you will need:
4 bagels
150g/5oz roast chicken
175g/6oz summerset Brie or camembert
4 heaped teaspoons cranberry sauce
Just follow the simple instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4
2. Cut the bagels in half
3. Divide the chicken between the four bagels
4. Slice the cheese and lay on top of the chicken
5. Top with a spoonful of cranberry sauce
6. Place the lid on the bagel and wrap each in a square of foil
7. Place on a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes until the cheese softens and begins to run

Pitta Bread Pizza
Serves 1
Time: 5 min prep/5 min cook (at most)
Perfect for lunch, dinner or even a mid-morning snack!
1 large white or wholemeal pitta bread
150g can baked beans in tomato sauce
25g/1oz cheese of choice that grates or crumbles and melts
Method
1. Warm the pitta bread under a moderate grill and heat the beans through gently in a saucepan.
2. Pile the beans onto the pitta bread and crumble or grate the cheese over the top.
3. Grill until the cheese melts and starts to bubble.
Cook's Tips: The variations are endless! Instead of beans use a small tin of chopped tomatoes on the pitta bread. Try other tasty toppings with your cheese like flaked tuna and sweetcorn, mushrooms, and diced lean ham or turkey.

I also have a 'drop a dress size in 8 days' diet that might be of interest to those who are lucky enough to be attending 'The Event' I used it for my sisters wedding back in April when I found that my bridesmaids dress I had tried on at Christmas, didn't fit me the week before her wedding

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
Breakfast Bagel with low fat cream cheese and a few strawberries Scrambled eggs on 1 slice wholemeal toast Bagel with low fat cream cheese and a few strawberries Scrambled eggs on 1 slice wholemeal toast Bagel with low fat cream cheese and a few strawberries
elevenses Clear soup Clear soup Clear soup Clear soup Clear soup
Lunch Chunky vegetable soup Chunky vegetable soup Chunky vegetable soup Wholemeal toast Chunky vegetable soup
Afternoon snack ryvita with low fat cream cheese ryvita with low fat humus ryvita with low fat cream cheese ryvita with low fat humus ryvita with low fat cream cheese
Dinner Roast a chicken fillet in tin tomatoes for 15 - 20 mins 190c. Serve with broccoli & carrots 2 lean beef sausages, grilled and served with 100g (4oz) green beans and 30g (1oz) sweet potato, mashed with 1tsp low-fat creme fraiche. Chunky vegetable soup Jacket potato with drained chunky vegetable soup 1 jacket potato with 2tbsp low fat cream cheese
Drinks Aim to drink at least 8 pints of water a day and if you have tea, take it black

Enjoy and have fun :)

If the week long recipe doesn't show properly, you can mail or pm me and I'll send it to you if y ou want it as it's in excel. xx

Last edited:
Just got another one that's easy to prepare and cheap too

Chicken Noodle Soup. Mmmmmmmm!

2 litres chicken stock
2 chicken breast fillets, skinless
1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
1/2 onion, pleeled
200g bean thread vermicelli (any noodle's'll do)
11/2 tablespoons fish sauce (optional - I don't)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
90g bean sprouts, trimmed (I sometimes do, makes it pack out a bit)
12g garlic chives cut into 3cm lengths (I use ordinary garlic)
I also use carrots too and add pepper
To serve
1 handful coriander leaves
Fish sauce (bugger this I just wanna eat it! Usually just serve with a nice big chunk of wholemeal bread that I've warmed :))
Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Place the chicken in the pan. Add the celery and onion and return to the boil. Simmer for five minutes. Remove pan from heat, cover, and leave to stand for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, soak the vermicelli in cold water for 10 minutes, drain and cut into 5in lengths. Remove the chicken and allow to cool, before shredding. Strain the stock and return to the pan. Boil, and add fish sauce, sugar and salt. Place noodles in serving bowls and top with the chicken, beansprouts and garlic chives. Pour on the hot stock and garnish with coriander and fried shallots. Serve extra fish sauce to taste.

xx

Cook some pasta, drain it, and throw some grated cheese and baked beans over the top. You could also chuck in a bit of diced ham etc. It's really quick, filling, cheap and tasty. :)

my favorite:

Lobbio

0.5 kg of peppers (green, yellow, red) (60p)
1 large onion (20p)
1 can of chopped tomatoes (aroun 20p supermarket own brand)
2 cans of red kidney beans (around 30p supermarket qwn brand)
oxo cube
total: 1.40 ish for 4 servings

In a large sousepan heat up 1 tbl spoon of cooking oil (I use grapeseed), fry up some chopped onions. Dice up peppers and throw them into the pan. Cook on a slow heat under the lid for about 10-15 minutes. When you lift the lid up there shoul be quite a lot of liquid in a pan, if there is not much, the add about half a cup of hot water. Add oxo cube, tomatoes and beans. Cook for another 10 minutes.
Quick, cheap and healthy.
U can eat it with boiled potatoes (go vegetarian for maximum savings) or steak.

This is my own recipe - its quick, cheap, tasty and healthy.

Tuna and pasta bake.

Tin of chopped tomatoes (preferably aldi's chopped toms with herbs)
Can of Tuna
1 onion chopped and a stick of celery finely sliced
1 green pepper finely sliced if you like peppers
pasta shapes - any
Tomatoe puree - about 2 tablespoons
1 vegetable stock cube
garlic either fresh pressed garlic or garlic paste
Cheese - any - but mozzarella and cheddar mixed is good

optional - sweetcorn, olives, mushrooms.

Cook pasta and place it in oven proof dish.

Fry chopped onion in a little olive oil with celery and pepper till soft (for less fat add a little water and simmer)

Add chopped tomatoes, tomatoe puree, garlic, stock cube and simmer till th sauce thickens.

Then chuck in tuna last (I hate overcooked tin tuna)

Spread sauce on top of pasta then add cheese and bake in oven till cheese bubbles.
Nice with salad, veg or roast potatoes.

Latest posts

Back