Children behaving while doing mum's nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdskora

Reaction score
:cry:I was just wondering if you have any special technq used to keep kids quiet...
I would NEVER take my kids to a nail apt.. it is my time and I don;t think it is a place for kids...

I have a few clients that bring their kids and one of the worst touches my light, my UV lamp... dug my nail brush (the old one thankgod) into my powders!... I must have told her to stop 10 times.. then she ate all 15 choc's i had in a box on my table for my clients :irked:( it was xmas).. her mother sat there without a word... she even let her play in the hair on the salon floor.. ( i work in a hair salon).

how should i deal with this?.. It gets me all up tight and I can't concentrate

you could have a 'no kids allowed' policy or is there a little corner nearby you could possibly put a couple of bits to keep them occupied ( bit of lego, colouring book etc) ? just a thought.

Hi There have been threads on this before and the general consensus was that children do not belong where nails are being done. Easier said than done. I tell my clients when they phone that I am unable to have children present due to the chemicals I use.
This is a bit hard in a salon but perhaps if you just mention to mum something like this "It might be a good idea if the kiddies didn't come again as my insurance is void if I carry out services with children present." Explain to her the dangers of the chemicals.
Who would bring their kids anyway, its supposed to be a relaxing time lol
hth
Karen xx

i actually just had this happen the other day...the child who was 12 yes 12 could not sit still would not stop talking and asking question after question breaking my concentration touching EVERYTHING..by the end of it although i barely made it that far...lol...i was ready to lose my mind a little...i wasnt sure what to say cuz mom just sat and said nothing..maybe telling them ahead of time is a good idea but i feel rude...but better that then having to deal with this child again..its very frustrating and kno it definitely wasnt my best work:irked:

This is always a tough one and, lets face it, some mums have no choice but to bring a child along with them.

Ask parents that if they bring their child to please bring along a toy that they KNOW will absorb the child for an hour. Nintendo DS springs to mind. It is not rude to tell parents honestly that they have to exercise some control during the appointment time.

I once saw a great sign in a London Nails Only salon. It said ...

Small dogs under control are welcome in the salon.
Children who are not .......................... are not.

I thought that was hilarious. It got the point across to everyone without being personal.

angie (bagpuss) had a great tip !

We did a wedding party a while back, when we got there the kids were being real PAIN in the asses.

Angie everso kindly Offered to do their nails...(im thinking hey that wasnt included:eek:).

Well it worked a treat - it took 5 mins, the kid had beautiful nails and she said 'how long till they dry?' angie said a good half hour you have to sit there and not doing anything or touch anything until i say:green: WHAT A CLASSIC.

Of course......unless they are 'stu' ette kinda boys'.......it's only going to work on girls!!!!

I agree that sometimes mums have no choice but to have their children there or even have to bring them ! i also have used the i will paint your nails or the promise of a few gems is great you will be amazed how well they will just sit and wait !! and noone wants to pay child care on top of the price of nails so i feel i am firm but fair and my clients always say how greatful they are xxx

i get the kids who wont sit still in my salon, to do nail art on tips!!
i say when they are dry they can blu tack them onto sticks and then i will display them!!

ok so there s a bit of mess to clean up afterwards, but it kept them occupied and mum is happy and the kids love it!

Urgh!!! Im with ya on this one... we've had mums bring babies in, & I mean baby in arms (no buggy, no car seat, no partner) in for a Brazilian wax!!! She wanted to hold her baby whilst our therapist performed a Brazilian!! We tried explaining to her if even a drop of Wax went onto Babys skin, but she kept repeating to us that she had no babysitter.... Obviously we refused to perform the treatment that day. I do understand it can be hard to cover childcare/ arrange babysitter but I believe the Salon should be child free zone for safety reasons.
This has caused a problem in the Nail bar area too.. in our first year of opening we had one lady who brought in a Thomas The Tank dvd for her 3yr old son to watch whilst she had her nails done, the TV is for all guests waiting for treatments & having their nails done! he tried crawling under my nail desk as I was working and the mum would just ignore him.
We now have printed on our treatment lists, 'sorry we cannot accomadate children during treatments' and a sign in reception, Thankfully this has worked... :)

Thanks something to think about.. Maybe I could buy a few cars and truck.. colouring in book and pencil for those difficult times.. and you know i get my daughter (7) to paint tips to keep her quiet... my daughter comes to work for a full day and is just happy to paint and watch... these brats can't sit still for 5 mins...grrrrrrr.
Thanks for the thoughts and replies
Maybe I could also get a portable dvd player on sale and leave it in the salon...

My own kids don;t cost me this much!!! LOL

I am a mother.
With two very well behaved children.
BUT
I manage to keep my own appointments with NO children present.
Where there is a will, there is a way.
Any mom that says she couldn't find a sitter, didn't try hard enough.
If I can't get a sitter, I reschedule. Plain and simple.

I firmly believe children do NOT belong at appointments.
I have a strict rule in place.
My own children aren't allowed in attendance. If they are not at school, or not at daycamp or Dad isn't home to watch them, or Nana is not available to watch them: then I don't book a client.
And my own children don't dare enter the room, nor touch anything. They know better.

I tried in the beginning to allow it, but there are too many interuptions that delay the service. And when the child is 'naughty' (to be nice), well, it's a true nightmare.
Accidents do happen and the worst that could happen is with a child present. No thanks, don't want that on my conscience. And I doubt that insurance covers children.

If a mom truly has a problem getting a sitter for daytime hours, then she can book a mobile tech to come to her home for AFTER the children are asleep.

It can't be that hard to get Dad/auntie/nana/friend to watch the wee ones once every 2wks. If a mum can't afford a sitter, trade hours with another mom, helping each other out. This is what I used to do.

I don't see any excuse for it. None at all.

PS: keeping in mind: I have books and toys galore, crayons, play-doh, etc... well over 100 movies. If a child is inclined to be naughty.... nothing will distract them.

Last edited:
Well it worked a treat - it took 5 mins, the kid had beautiful nails and she said 'how long till they dry?' angie said a good half hour you have to sit there and not doing anything or touch anything until i say:green: WHAT A CLASSIC.

I do this and it really works...!!!

Put some polish on their nails right at the start...

'Now sit still and dont touch anything because it will smudge your beautiful nails......'

Never tell them its dry until you have finished your job...!! :lol:

My son always comes with me to appointments and hes as good as gold sit there and watches it amazes him and hes only 3 and half!!:lol:

Its hard for full time mums and sometimes they just have to bring the kiddies with them:green:

Most of the ladies that have posted have said the same thing.... the mother NEVER says anything to them..... How can we be polite and ask them to keep their kids in toe?..
I must say I will try the nail polish trick... thanks

Most of the ladies that have posted have said the same thing.... the mother NEVER says anything to them..... How can we be polite and ask them to keep their kids in toe?..
I must say I will try the nail polish trick... thanks

I would just say, "I'm sorry I don't like to but I'm going to have to ask you to keep XXXX away from the nail desk both for his safety and so I can work."

I had a client last night who bought her daughter with her, she was 8, and as good as gold, just sat there watching, after I had done the Mum I painted her nails, she was so happy. She said she wants to be me when she grows up and do what I do ..so sweet..so there not all little monsters...lol..x

A few of my clients have fetched there childern in while it's been the holidays, thankfully they have been girls.
I said to them before I started the treatment..If you're good I'll paint your nails when I'm finished, it worked a treat, one girl even came back with a vanilla slice for me yum yum!

I am lucky as I know must of the children around the area I work, as Before I became a nail tech I was a dinner lady, so I only have to look at them and they sit nice and quiet. Mums ask me if I can stay at their homes ( i am mobile). It is funny sometimes as when I knock on the door they still call me miss. lol

Is gagging them not an option then :eek:...........:lol:

Seem's the best ideas are the offer of having their nails painted for little girls, and possibly some toys for boys.

I think clients shoud really consider bringing their kids in the first place as it is time to relax and enjoy having their nails done.

I have all this to look forward too :lol:

I have had chocolate in my lamp, constant banging on the table, touching all my kit AAARRGHHHH !!!

This client always brings her child with her and hes about 2 years old .....

I am going to have to say something this time ,,, Shes in tomorrow !

Latest posts

Back