Client from hell, what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would make sure to give her an appointment card with her time the next time and insist she takes it.

I text all my clients the day before and since I've started doing this, I have never had a problem with cancelations and no shows.. the clients love it!! I know it costs to text but it's cheaper than a mistake like that happening again

there is a difference between being nice, being horrible and just whinging about everything in the world ever invented!! lol. im not even talking about 'serious' whinges, about actul problems, but some peope will find fault with evetything, and i cant be doing with them!

thankfully, i do mostly quck treatments, so moaning time is minimal!

as for the sign, i might do it! lol. i was DEFFO thinkng about geting one asking people not to bring their germs to me!!

I think in some ways I would feel a bit sorry for this woman. What a life she must have? Whingeing and being miserable all the time is so exhausting! How awful to be so disliked by everyone. Agree she shouldn't have gone for you like that, especially as you were certain it was her fault, but if it were me (and I would have been sooo angry as well), I'd sleep on it and chill out. Everything looks better after a while. Just bide your time. She will be back! Guaranteed! You know what they say - revenge is best eaten cold!! :lol::lol:

there is a difference between being nice, being horrible and just whinging about everything in the world ever invented!! lol. im not even talking about 'serious' whinges, about actul problems, but some peope will find fault with evetything, and i cant be doing with them!

thankfully, i do mostly quck treatments, so moaning time is minimal!

as for the sign, i might do it! lol. i was DEFFO thinkng about geting one asking people not to bring their germs to me!!

I do agree with katelisa here. If the client is dissasatisfied in life they can also be toxic to your business. One teeny muck up whether your fault or not and remember 'the customer is always right' even when there wrong you dont want a smear campaign!

Yes I shut up and put up, but if i had a client like this I would send some flowers apologise and leave it at that and hope they dont return and if they do then hope they dont do the same thing again.

Yes theres a business and professional head in all we do, but professionally I have to watch what people could say about my business or about me!

Kate x

I think you should have tapped on the window and waved at her :lol:

No seriously, at least she let you know. And she has been a loyal client (and no doubt will be again after having sampled the local NSS), let it teach her a lesson! She'll be back with her tail between her legs soon.

I can put up with clients who moan and whinge about life and people in general, its only if it gets continually personal or overly aggressive that I would consider "sacking" her. I don't know if you feel this lady has done enough to deserve it. Only you can decide.

On the subject of sacking clients, I think that if we are busy enough to be selective and a particular client is being a complete ...hole, why not sack them? It's only the equivalent of a pub barring someone really. I didn't train and build up my business only to sit here and take a load of .... from horrible people. There's enough stress in life without that! That said, in five years, I've only ever deliberately got rid of 2 people. Most of my clients are lovely, there's nobody that I absolutely dread seeing (at the moment lol)

Good luck and thanks for sharing

Yeh blossom my thoughts are the same give her a nice wave lol:lol:

Totally agree - do not let her get you down, it happens its business, typical clients. If she was mine I would say 'ooh you dont seem very happy the last few visits at least your nails are perfect!'
people like that are against the world and have think everyone owes them something and that's why they're miserable, but like Geeg says she saw that she could get them done somewhere else and took her chances. If you had tapped on the window then she would have been embarressed (tho I'm not entirely sure) you would have felt better and it would be no hard feelings when she returned.
Oh and Carl pick a truly deserving client to trial new powders on - imagine if she didnt like them!:eek:

Sounds like more hassle than its worth! Poor you x

I think I would just 'enjoy' the fact that you caught her out and see what transpires and say nothing. If she comes back, you can enjoy a quiet personal snigger.

Some of you guys just kill me with your attitude which always seems to be: Sack the client or saying your better off without, or that you hate clients who are like this, don't fit them in if they come back, drop her .... listen to yourselves! What kind of a way it that to run a business? Sure clients like this are a pain but they pay you for a service ... they can be a pain and we have to put up with it because that is life and it's our job to provide the service they are paying for even if they are moaners and wingers.

I can just see it all. She goes in the salon to find she is early ... thinks she'll blame Carl rather than admit that she could be to blame, whatever ... it has thrown her day out, she says she'll come back. she swans off up the street and sees another salon, thinks ... I'll just see if they have room for me NOW .. they do! she sits down and rings Carl to tell him she is not returning that day (she's got what she wanted). So typical. I suppose you could say at least she had the courtesy to let Carl know.

People are people and it takes all sorts. It would be nice if everyone were lovely and thoughtful and courteous but that just isn't the way people are and when you are in a people business you take the rough with the smooth.

It isn't personal, Carl. She just wanted her nails done then and there and got lucky (she thinks ... mwah mwah).

This is why im not a business women and have never made a lot of money out of my career.

Im a right push over in many ways, letting people have things for free etc etc, but ive never been unhappy in my work. Not once in 25 years or more have i ever thought i dont want to work.

When i work in a salon i had to do certain people i didn't like ,fortunately they were few and far between. Now i work for myself i don't.

I dont pick whinging nasty people as clients or friends,cross me and you're sacked ,id rather not have the money.I find it very hard to be sweetness and light to anyone if they treat me with disregard ,no matter what i will get out of it.

This is why im not a business women and have never made a lot of money out of my career.

Im a right push over in many ways, letting people have things for free etc etc, but ive never been unhappy in my work. Not once in 25 years or more have i ever thought i dont want to work.

When i work in a salon i had to do certain people i didn't like ,fortunately they were few and far between. Now i work for myself i don't.

I dont pick whinging nasty people as clients or friends,cross me and you're sacked ,id rather not have the money.I find it very hard to be sweetness and light to anyone if they treat me with disregard ,no matter what i will get out of it.

It's nice for you that you have the 'luxury' to pick and choose .. many don't ... what do you mean 'pick' them? What do you say, sorry you're a winger don't come back? :lol:

I try to advise those on the site on what's best for their business to thrive; I feel that is my function here on the site to HELP new ones to learn good work ethics and the right attitude and give them the guidance of experience. So if your business has never much money, then your ethic is perhaps a good example of what NOT to do. Would you agree?

Most people work for only one reason and that is to make a living. It would be nice not to have to rely on what we make, but times are not going to get any easier for anyone. Learning now how to keep customers is the most important thing one can do in my opinion.

i had a similar problem..

my customer was a nail tech from another salon. i found out that she was telling eveyone that she had done her own nails.. when in fact it was all my work.

anyway once i heard this i was so angry, and wanted to tel her to get lost.
But my business head and another older woman who owns many businesses , told me to say nothing. Let her come back, she obviously loves my work and will end up handing over plenty of money to me.

This is indeed what i did, i kept quiet, kept on smiling. I even gave her a bit of advice on how to stop lifting etc. I'm a happy bunny, cos she is still useless at nails and still pays me to do hers.

Its no skin of my nose at the end of the day. And those angry hurt feelings do pass after a few weeks. For me, i want to make money, and thats what i do. I also make beautiful nails, so this is the perfect job

Hi

Please dont take the situation with your client personally. Unfortunately, as you said, she suffers with permanent PMT I have a client like this also. Your lady is probably so "stressed" all the time she was just annoyed you could not fit her in when she arrived some people are just so wrapped up with themselves you just inconvenienced her at that moment. Look on the whole situation as a learning curve and if all clients were sweet easy going people life could get boring! I know if we feel a bit below par ourselves these clients can really ruin your day.

I always say to my husband can you see my halo shining after my "difficult" client has been in lol:rolleyes: I look upon it all as a personal challenge dealing with difficult clients remaining calm and assertive usually works.:)

Take care......x

It's nice for you that you have the 'luxury' to pick and choose .. many don't ... what do you mean 'pick' them? What do you say, sorry you're a winger don't come back? :lol:

I try to advise those on the site on what's best for their business to thrive; I feel that is my function here on the site to HELP new ones to learn good work ethics and the right attitude and give them the guidance of experience. So if your business has never much money, then your ethic is perhaps a good example of what NOT to do. Would you agree?

Most people work for only one reason and that is to make a living. It would be nice not to have to rely on what we make, but times are not going to get any easier for anyone. Learning now how to keep customers is the most important thing one can do in my opinion.

You are quite right i do have the luxury of being able to choose who i do.My family has never relied on my wage.
I do pick who i want to do and if i dont like them,if they are constantly late or don't turn up i don't rebook.But i am talking very few and far between, anyone would have some bad luck to be coming across people who are that much of a pain.
What im saying is if someone is going to make you feel that bad don't do them.
Some people are just downright rude and awful.

No seriously, at least she let you know. And she has been a loyal client (and no doubt will be again after having sampled the local NSS), let it teach her a lesson! She'll be back with her tail between her legs soon.

I can put up with clients who moan and whinge about life and people in general, its only if it gets continually personal or overly aggressive that I would consider "sacking" her. I don't know if you feel this lady has done enough to deserve it. Only you can decide.

On the subject of sacking clients, I think that if we are busy enough to be selective and a particular client is being a complete ...hole, why not sack them? It's only the equivalent of a pub barring someone really. I didn't train and build up my business only to sit here and take a load of .... from horrible people. There's enough stress in life without that! That said, in five years, I've only ever deliberately got rid of 2 people. Most of my clients are lovely, there's nobody that I absolutely dread seeing (at the moment lol)

Good luck and thanks for sharing

You beat me too it Blossom exactly what I was going to say , although I was going to say ..you should of gone in there and tapped her on the shoulder andsay ..hiya ...how embarrased would she of felt.

On the subject of sacking clients..if you can afford to why not..I went self employed to get away from a s***** boss , so why would I want to put up with s***** clients?

Carl why do we take things so personally lol...but we do....she probably isnt psycho-analyzing it as you are , and i reckon as i would, plus the fact that her money is paying towards your bread and butter.
like geeg says she has probably got her head around the fact she was getting her nails done today...and today she is getting them done...even if she was early and her fault....I think sometimes we all can be like that...want it now......gonna get it now.
hopefully the nss she has been too...she will probably be looking at her nails wishing she hadnt gone there...she will come back...and bite your tongue when she does.....she will have to explain to you what dodgy dealings she's got on her fingers and how she came about having them on, whilst you sit in pretence ignorance knowing full well...one up for you when that time comes mate xxxx

You are quite right i do have the luxury of being able to choose who i do.My family has never relied on my wage.
I do pick who i want to do and if i dont like them,if they are constantly late or don't turn up i don't rebook.But i am talking very few and far between, anyone would have some bad luck to be coming across people who are that much of a pain.
What im saying is if someone is going to make you feel that bad don't do them.
Some people are just downright rude and awful.

You see, I had a different approach. If people were late or didn't turn up I either put them with the junior when they did or sent them a bill if they didn't in line with salon policy. They soon came to heel or just faded away on their own but I was not the looser and didn't have to sack them.

It is funny that I can't actually remember anyone being really ever aggressive or terribly rude to me in 15 years in the salon. I am very up beat always greeted everyone with a smile and adopted the attitude of our friend Goldie above ..

I look upon it all as a personal challenge dealing with difficult clients remaining calm and assertive usually works.

I got a real kick out of bending people my way. People who are rude or aggressive or moaners are unhappy people .. I used to like to make them happy. And I usually succeeded in doing so.

I would rather encourage new techs and old on here to do the same for the good health of their businesses.

OOh know let them stay unhappy :) and out of my way.

No, No honestly ..what Geeg said.You can but try.

I agree with Gigi, we're in this business to make money. I know clients are a pain sometimes but without them we are nothing.

It wasnt your fault, it was hers but she obviously cant admit that and didnt want to wait for the real appointment time.

When she comes back again, it will be obvious to both of you that she's gone somewhere else for her infills. I would make it quite clear that you know this by saying that you cant possibly mix the two different products (compatibility issues), then charge her for removal and reapplying your brand. At least that way you wont be out of pocket.

Always keep the moral high ground - thats my motto throughout life.

Karaxxx

Unless they would call me names while i am doing their nails i really dont care so much.
In this bussines i think you have to fake now and then.
Moste of my customers are really fun and i can look forward to the point that they come back. but i also have those i dont miss that much :lol:.
I look at them as plainly performing my service while being polight and helpfull at the same time giving them the same service as any other of my customers. It is work and they pay my bills, expenses etc... So in that way i dont care if i have to force myself here or there to => :green:

Never take things to personal and be a bit more layed back

I can take any kind of personality...hyper...depressed...loud...quite....negative...they all pay me to do their nails and thats what i do. What i DO mind is rudeness that is directed at ME....this i wont stand for. If a client is telling me how she bites everyones heads off then fine...not my business...if she is biting MY head off...its a different matter. I totally understand off days...Tesco don't refuse to serve me when i have a off day...:lol:...we all have them...but if it was every time she came and personally directed to me then i wouldn't be happy to serve her anymore.

i totall agree with gillian on everything she has said.

but i also understand where geeg is coming from, as not everyone does have the luxury to turn away business.

But whilst im running a full book, and turning people away on a daily basis, i would rather turn away the vile clients than the lovely ones!! :green:

Latest posts

Back