Do you enjoy doing your own nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*sarah*

Pmu Geek
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondered if you actually enjoy doing your own nails or find it a chore?
I'm doing mine tomorrow and I cannot be bothered lol most of the time I feel like this till I have finished then am pleased with them after, perhaps I'm just a lazy so n so :lol: xx

I believe when you are constantly fully booked it can be a chore - 5 or 6 days with no spaces (especially at this time of year, lol) will definitely leave you praying for a wonderful tech to sit you down, let you chill and give you a gorgeous rebalance in little more than an hour....I am so grateful it happened to me today!

However, if I've had a little time off, my passion will assert itself, the NEED to do nails will give me the motivation to get going on my own nails.

If you need a little push...think about what you can try differently...or try to overcome something you have had problems with in the past with a client....every set is a learning curve :hug:

I wish I could do my own nails, but I just can't use my wrong hand at all, so mines are never done :-(

I find it a chore to be honest....I sat and did mine last night and am so glad thats done for 3 weeks. When i started out i loved doing my own nails and used to do them and re-do them all the time....now i just rebalance them every 3 weeks.

I find it a chore too I think its because we do nails so much when it comes to our own we cant be bothered lol

Its definitely a chore! I take ages to them as well...
However its good when they are done, as I guess we are our own advertisement!

I saw your other thread first, before reading this one... you should be resting! You are going to stress your sore wrist doing your own nails!

(says me, who actually put a set of press ons two hours after surgery when the doctors made me take my enhancements off... I was so embarrassed by the state of my natural nails that I just had to cover them up. Okay, they weren't proper enhancements but it got me through the week)

I also hate doing my own, but using Popits has made doing my dominant hand much easier (not so many funny contortions to get the correct angles!) Yet I've found my clients to be a bunch of copycats... they'll often point to my hands and ask for the same thing! So when I'm working I try to always have them looking good.

I sometimes start my own nails and halfway through I think "I'm sorry I started this":cry:

Then I get a second wind LOL and when I'm coming in for the home stretch it's all worth it... I LOVE having my nails done, but I'm not too fond of doing them.

I like to start with the wrong hand first... it's not unusual for me to have one hand done and I'll do the other one the next day.... it's so hard to get time to do your own nails when you're busy doing everyone elses

I DETEST doing my own nails.

It never bothered me until most recently. I used to do them all the time, changing them and whatnot...
But now with my schedule... ugh..
And of course, it takes me nearly twice as long to do my own as it does a client.
I'm not ambidextrous and it's a STRUGGLE to do my right (wrong) hand. I nearly always get lift on my last 3 fingers of my 'wrong' hand, on the right side of them because I can't get the angle right and my left hand isn't steady enough.
And I have GREAT hands!! Long narrow fingers, long nailbeds. I could just CRY for things I would love to wear and can't. :cry:

What frustrates me most is that there are some pretty funky things that I would do to myself IF I could. Things that my clients wouldn't wear OR that are more complicated than I am able to do yet. OR I can't do them on my right, only on my left.... so I don't bother because I'd look cock-eyed.

I would KILL for a Geek to live in my neighborhood with whom I could exchange services!

Sooo for the past year, I'm nearly NEVER satisfied with my own nails. I used to love them. Now? pfftttttt not so much.

I keep trying popits on myself. I don't do that well either. I either get too much or not enough L&P into them... And when there's not enough, I get bubbles and pockets and have to soak them off and start over again. ARRGHHHH lol Or I'm not steady enough for my own hands, and they wind up crooked or whatever lol

SO if any of you Geeks move to my area of town, you had best be prepared to have me as a client. :lol:

I also hate it with a passion. Doing my left hand is a breeze (of course I always do it first:lol:).

My right hand is gruelling. I always get a bit of lifting because I can't seem to get to the far side of it quite right. My left hand I could easily leave for many weeks because it is in perfect condition. But trying to file off the lifting at the sidewalls on my other hand drives me crazy, when it's already hard to file with my left hand as it is.

Sometimes I go without nails because of this wrong hand problem! Or I redo a few nails here and there to spread out the agony.;)

ETA: I have nice long nail beds too, Victoria. All the more wasted!

I absolutly hate doing my own nails as well and am in the middle of doing them right now. As someone else said we are our own advertisement so they have to be kept on top of, but I am never happy with the result of my own and it takes me so long to do mine.

I did one hand at 10 pm last night when I finished my last client (my right hand as that is the hand I struggle most with and I am putting a french on this time) and I am just about to do my left hand now as I am not working today, but I am finding every excuse (like posting on here) to put it off but I'm hoping this hand will be easier. Even worse though for me is taking them off gently. I can do it on everyone else but when it come to me I really struggle - Arrgh!!

Must be luxury to get them done by someone else. xxx

i loathe doing mine too.

i find it so frustrating that i cant do them as well as i would on someone else. in fact all the same reasons as victoria.

i think anyone who is busy doing nails all day every day will answer the same.
and those that are still new to nails will be enjoying doing their own because they dont 'have to'.

I DETEST doing my own nails.

It never bothered me until most recently. I used to do them all the time, changing them and whatnot...
But now with my schedule... ugh..
And of course, it takes me nearly twice as long to do my own as it does a client.
I'm not ambidextrous and it's a STRUGGLE to do my right (wrong) hand. I nearly always get lift on my last 3 fingers of my 'wrong' hand, on the right side of them because I can't get the angle right and my left hand isn't steady enough.
And I have GREAT hands!! Long narrow fingers, long nailbeds. I could just CRY for things I would love to wear and can't. :cry:

What frustrates me most is that there are some pretty funky things that I would do to myself IF I could. Things that my clients wouldn't wear OR that are more complicated than I am able to do yet. OR I can't do them on my right, only on my left.... so I don't bother because I'd look cock-eyed.

I would KILL for a Geek to live in my neighborhood with whom I could exchange services!

Sooo for the past year, I'm nearly NEVER satisfied with my own nails. I used to love them. Now? pfftttttt not so much.

I keep trying popits on myself. I don't do that well either. I either get too much or not enough L&P into them... And when there's not enough, I get bubbles and pockets and have to soak them off and start over again. ARRGHHHH lol Or I'm not steady enough for my own hands, and they wind up crooked or whatever lol

SO if any of you Geeks move to my area of town, you had best be prepared to have me as a client. :lol:

same here victoria.
if i ever get to visit canada i will make sure i come over and do your nails for you.:)

same here victoria.
if i ever get to visit canada i will make sure i come over and do your nails for you.:)

I just KNEW that I loved you for a reason!:lol::hug:

And right back at ya, if you're willing to suffer me
hehehehehehe

I hate doing my nails too, I get them done and sometimes I feel like Im wasting my money and I SHOULD be doing them myself but I just dont have the patience:eek:

I just finished my nails (actually wedding nails) and I HATE it, not doing the nails themselves (even though I look pretty stupid doing my dominant hand) I just hate the fact that I can do so many cool things that I would love to have on my nails for my wedding, I just cannot do it with my left hand.

And I ended up doing tip and dip, with performance tips I had airbrushed and decorated.... hmmm a client would be happy I guess, but I am the NAILTECH:cry: I should have exiting nails on my wedding day...

I keep saying Im gonna find sum one else to do mine ,but Im just concerned I may pick holes in their work , and try to teell them how its done, in the mean time , yes its a pain in the butt!!!!!!! :)

I dont mind doing my own. I have a NNO in natural L&P only and just infill them every 2 weeks and polish whenever. They are rounded and kept mid lengh otherwise any longer length i end up filing away when im doing clients. Its so much easier for me. I dont think i could be bothered with a french and re-tipping all the time.

I enjoy doin' my own, actually I have never had them done by anyone else before. As most of us, I do my lazzy hand first & by the time I get to my right hand I have already cosed myself a headache cuz im workin extra hard for perfection (but it's never perfect) :lol: But after they're done im thankful for that headache cuz they do look lovely in the end.

I wish I could do my own nails, but I just can't use my wrong hand at all, so mines are never done :-(

Same here! Mine are looking like cr-p at the moment... :irked:

Latest posts

Back