Do you enjoy doing your own nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have people asking me why my nails aren't done ALL the time. You've all stated the reasons why lol. I'd rather have short, clean, natural nails than the messed up crap I end up with when I do my own. And I work 5 days a week, 8 hours a day....I do not want to go home and spend 3 hours on my own. I can handle gel lacquer, I think it works well for me because it doesn't slowly soak off in the acetone I'm in all day, but I still can't be bothered doing it myself. When I do put it on, I end up ripping it all off after the first chip and ruining my nails for weeks.

I always say "it's a good thing I do my own, because my nail tech would HATE me!!"

I like doing my own when i get left alone to do them - although it takes me ages, but i guess it's because i want them to look perfect as i am my own advertisement!

I've lost count of the times when i've tried doing them with the kids around and ended up walking around for a week with one lovely, groomed hand and the other looking tatty!! But then that could be beneficial as a 'before' & 'after' advert!!

Popits are a godsend! - i can do them in front of the telly without having to put too much thought into it.

well I'm sooo glad it's not just me that finds it a chore lol I seem to be ambidextrous (sp??lol) and always do me right hand 1st (I'm a lefty) I know I probably should'nt have done my nails with my wrist being fractured but just could'nt bare having no nails a minute longer! I would love to have someone else doing my nails but as someone else said too I'd probably pick holes too lol fickle bunch are'nt we? lol xx

Here I am sporting the most hideous nails I have had for a while "none", what used to be a pleasure I now detest. Doing my own nails is such a chore these days and like most other techs I used to spend hours trying out new designs and colours on my own nails etc. I had promised myself I would put a set on Xmas eve morning but no chance so I have for the first time been enhancement free for the whole of the Christmas period and will probably put a set on in Jan when its likely to be quiet "if I can face it".

Are you kidding?
I love doing my own nails :)

It's the only canvas I'm allowed to try new things and make mistakes on. I love to sit down and do them while I watch a movie or something. I hate doing my own toes though. It's a strain on my back

But then again, I'm only part time. Maybe if I had a much fuller sched like everyone else, I wouldn't like doing mine as much either.

Bit of a late reply here, but I just found this thread.

And it's been great to see I'm not alone lol. I too do my own, it takes an irritatingly long time, and my "wrong" hand usually looks terrible (lifting because I get product too close to my cuticles and sidewalls).

But I've also found it's good advertising, as clients and friends will notice what I do to myself and then ask for it. And I can't bear not to have them done and would feel stupid paying someone else, when I have the products at hand lol.

Michelle

i like doing mine atm, i love it when they are done and everyone comments on how nice they look and can i do theirs etc, but once i am doing nails all day long, i dont think i'll be bothered to do my own, but as others have said i think i'll begrudge paying someone else to do em xx

I LOVE doing my own nails - I don't really get to do anyone elses aside from "Martha" my training hand!!!

I just did my own again this evening, each a different colour. I had a bash at glitter mixing, extending my nail beds with a pink cover powder, making indents in the white acrylic with a straw and filling it a different colour and I even tried water marbling which I found amazing!

I can't wait until I can do other peoples as a qualified tech so for now, I am happy for people to spend ages admiring my own instead hehehe

I also detest doing my own nails but i have to as I am still practising till I get some customers was fed up for a while but getting straight back into it since I bought some calgel diamond sparkle i love it and cant wait to get the black. but as usual one hand slightly better than the other but i am getting there slowly but surely. Need to have my own confidence up before I unleash myself on others lol.

Linda

I start of really 'yeah this is gonna be great'!! All new ideas, then 'meh I wish I hadnt started'. Its like others have said, its cool cos you can try funky stuff on your own nails, but the time it takes.... And tbh it be lovely to sit down, relax and have them done by someone I trust to do them right and have a good old girlie chat and pamper. Also I find I am rougher with my buffing and cos I do it when watching telly I have filed my skin before and after its been like 'nice nails, shame the fingers look murdered'

i love doing my own nails! in the time iv been qualified iv only had my nails done once and i hated it. i felt terrible cos after i sat and picked out all the things i didnt like about them, ended up filing them right down and painting over them then i saw the girl who done them when i was out i was so embarresed lol. im too fussy for anyone else to do mine!! and i always try different things on mine before i try it on anyone else. i find it theraputic sitting doing them :) x

LOL! I feel your pain! It takes me about 20 per finger on my wrong hand. My main takes sooo much less time. I can be faster but it just does not look as good when I do. some times I have one hand done and not the other :o. So my Dear you are so not alone.

im considering trying to sculpt my own this weekend!!!!!!!
wondering if it'll be better than keeping doing tips as trying to blend on my wrong hand is hard!
really cant be bothered but would feel a cheat to wear someone elses work!

I LOVE doing my own nails. It's the whole reason I started learning extension techniques and decided to go to nail school. Working with my wrong hand actually corrects some pressure problems that I have working with my right and while I have to rely on my file more to shape them, both hands come out looking WAY better than any 'chop shop' work I've had wobbling around. The big seller for me is that since I'm a biter/ picker/ destroyer of nail beds I can repair/ replace a nail any time I want to instead of pulling off the whole set. (Yes, yes I know and you're probably all :eek::cry::irked: but it's the truth.)

i hate doing my own nails too!
I can do my left hand ok but am terrible at doing my right hand (im right handed you see!)
But at the same time because i know i can do nails i kind of dont like paying lots to get them done:rolleyes:

Don't much like doing my own. I pulled a muscle in my right arm trying to twist it to make it easier to do with my left, I wouldn't recommend the twisting!

Latest posts

Back