Doesn't anyone use the search facility?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prionace

Akzentz Geek
Reaction score
Is it just me or is anyone else tired of seing the same topics coming back over and over again? It would be soooo much easier to sort out the threads that really need answering from the ones that have been answered numerous times before if people just used the search facilty before posting.
I belive i made this same mistake before, but i've learned from it, now everytime i want to find out about a brand, technique, or whatever i do a search before just to check, and the truth is i almost always find what i was looking for.
It's just that there are sooo many new posts everyday that everytime i log on i get totally messed up about wich threads are really worth replying to...
So, does anyone else feel the same? Would it be too much to ask for searching before posting?

I totally agree. There are some geeks who have problems with the search facility on occasion but many are just too lazy to do a search. It makes it harder in future when doing a search for info when 100 threads come up to find out the most relevant.

i do use the search facility, but if i cant find what i am looking for i ask my fellow geeks in a thread. xxx

I do agree to a point, as there are so many new people and from different parts of the world that their new input is great. What bugs the hell out of me is when people ask the same question and it was only asked within that week and the answer is staring them in the face! I think at one time we had 4 threads going at the same time about eyelash extensions.

I think it would be a great shame to see the nailgeek site eventually turn into a giant repository of information (which it already is) and then only used as a search engine (as someone else pointed out recently).

It is the interaction between nail technicians, both new and in experienced and in between, that sparks new debate and new topics. But our business is not a constant source of new information ... naturally the same questions are going to be asked time and again by those new to the industry and I for one am happy to answer those questions patiently again and again -- after all that is the role of a teacher.

If anyone is bored of seeing the same topics, then don't look at them. Why not think up some intelligent topics of your own to post in a new thread?

Whilst I agree with Gigi about the role of the teacher and not turning the site into a search engine - God Forbid!. There are some questions that you must get really fed up seeing/answering time and again.

Over time, techniques etc change so a question asked last year about something, might get a different answer a year down the track - this is valuable information.

The way I see it is this: Yeah, the same question may have been asked before, but some new ideas and techniques may have evolved since then.

Besides, if we all did a search, this wouldn't really be a community, we may as well tap into Google.

What really does bug me are the mindless threads...............you know the kind, 'Has anybody ever lost their left sock' or Has your 'Postman been yet'. Does my brain in. x

geeg said:
IIf anyone is bored of seeing the same topics, then don't look at them. Why not think up some intelligent topics of your own to post in a new thread?
I agree, I notice that at the moment some of us are trying really hard to get some good topics up for discussion, new or old. so the best way to make it more interesting is to think of something intersting yourself.

I don't mean this site should be only a search facility, you're kind of distorting my words... But takes sanitation/sterilization as an example, there are numerous threads about this subject, as far as i know nothing really changed that needs to be updated, yet this subject gets discussed like clockwork.
Of course i enjoy discussing the new stuff, new techniques, new ideas for nail art, questions about a specific problems, giving my opion on others work. But sometimes i just don't enjoy that much answering a question that as been answered over an over again before.

Prionace said:
I don't mean this site should be only a search facility, you're kind of distorting my words... But takes sanitation/sterilization as an example, there are numerous threads about this subject, as far as i know nothing really changed that needs to be updated, yet this subject gets discussed like clockwork.
Of course i enjoy discussing the new stuff, new techniques, new ideas for nail art, questions about a specific problems, giving my opinion on others work. But sometimes i just don't enjoy that much answering a question that as been answered over an over again before.

Well my advice its to ignore those questions you personally find tedious ... What is 'old hat' to you, however, is brand spanking new to someone else ...

I did not distort your words ... I said I would hate to see the site become a repository of information.

It takes new ones time to learn about the search facility etc. I do not see the old members asking the same questions time and again .. it is the new ones ... we were all new and excited once upon a time and full of questions.

There comes a time when there are not that many new questions to ask anymore ... new techniques and products do not happen every 5 minutes (we all wish that they did because we like that sort of stimulation) we all have to be content with the realization that there does come a time when you almost know it all.

i think its more a case of the same questions being asked in new threads on the same day...

I have to say that at the moment anything I search comes up with..... you guessed it a blank page:irked:

Katelisa said:
i think its more a case of the same questions being asked in new threads on the same day...

This I agree but normally the moderators take care of this and merge the threads ... a minor irritation ... mostly for the mods!! :lol:

guilty:lol: yep posted a thread about which didgital camara to buy and noticed afterwoods that their were 3 of us posting just about the same thing and had I read the other two first, I would have had my own answer.
And someone very kindly answered my question instead of pointing out to me that I was a blind wolly:lol:

In answer to your point about sanitisation and sterilization, I put up that thread not because we don't know the difference between the two or what we know what is expected in the salon, but because there is a lot of different information coming out, especially from Local Authorities which differs from what we as nail technicians are generally deem to be satisfactory. As in, you must have an autoclave...or disinfection is satisfactory...but there are so many different disinfection/sanitisation solutions out there...

I was just wanting to get opinion as to what others do in their salons.

I'm sorry to point that out but i think that also has been questioned sometimes before.

Prionace said:
I'm sorry to point that out but i think that also has been questioned sometimes before.

Obviously a very interesting topic that geeks want to discuss, as Cathies thread has recieved 3 pages of posts in response ... clearly not tired of that topic are we?? A good point in favour of posting and getting some different opinions, without necessarily using the search facility.

I found a topic off about 2 years ago and thought it would be great to hear it again and it was celebrity nails and how good/crap they were, obviously things have moved on now and the topic is closed but it was interesting (talking about karen mcdonalds nails etc and wondering who does them etc)

I can understand why geeks who are on here a lot get fustrated by same/similar threads popping up, and yes the search facility should be used more, but newbies take time to learn how to use the site properly, sometimes new threads are started because what someone was looking for they couldn't find by searching, someone might start a thread that is similar to a thread started last week but they obviously missed it...don't we need to be a little more patient with each other, just lately loads of threads have started with "I've done a search, but..." because they don't want to get a bollocking for posting!

don't want my opinion to upset anyone, but how many of this type of thread have we had lately,these are getting a little tedious now imo :o

sprinkles said:
I can understand why geeks who are on here a lot get fustrated by same/similar threads popping up, and yes the search facility should be used more, but newbies take time to learn how to use the site properly, sometimes new threads are started because what someone was looking for they couldn't find by searching, someone might start a thread that is similar to a thread started last week but they obviously missed it...don't we need to be a little more patient with each other, just lately loads of threads have started with "I've done a search, but..." because they don't want to get a bollocking for posting!

don't want my opinion to upset anyone, but how many of this type of thread have we had lately,these are getting a little tedious now imo :o

I am with you on this Sweetie, I have also noticed hw many threads seem to be starting with " Sorry, I know this isn't nails related, but....." for exactly the same reason, it seems that quite a few Geeks are worried at offending others at the mo. What a shame. Again IMO :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back