Food - Your best recipes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samantha1981

Reaction score
Post your recipe of the best thing you can cook/make! The best thing I make is hummus. It tastes delicious, plus is very cheap to make. The jar of tahini paste will keep in the fridge indefinitely. Just place all these ingredients in a food processor/blender and it's done!

hummus:
Serves three or four peoople as a starter...

Half a drained can of cooked chickpeas (save the brine!)
2 tablespoons brine
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 dessertspoon tahini paste (you can get this from Holland and Barrat, I use the 'light' version)
1 teaspoon garlic puree (or the fresh equivalent)
pinch of black pepper

Note that I don't use any olive oil in my hummus, it's not really needed as the tahini paste (pureed sesame seeds) is oily enough. Also, no added salt is needed because the brine is already salty.

Add more/less lemon juice or pepper according to your own taste, and if the mixture is too thick, add some more brine.

Serve with warm pitta bread or chips!

Samantha xxx

Not the best one I can cook, but very simple and quick:

Chicken breasts (1 per person) chopped up
Mushrooms (5 or six chopped up)
Green Pepper(1/2 chopped)
Yellow Pepper (1/2 chopped)
A couple of handfuls of rice
Worcester Sauce (about 10-12 shakes)
Dark Soy Sauce (again 10-12 shakes)

Throw it all in a casserole dish and give it a stir, put in oven gas mark 5 (sorry not an electric girl and can't do the conversion) for about 1.5 hours

Lovely.

joe90 said:
Not the best one I can cook, but very simple and quick:

Chicken breasts (1 per person) chopped up
Mushrooms (5 or six chopped up)
Green Pepper(1/2 chopped)
Yellow Pepper (1/2 chopped)
A couple of handfuls of rice
Worcester Sauce (about 10-12 shakes)
Dark Soy Sauce (again 10-12 shakes)

Throw it all in a casserole dish and give it a stir, put in oven gas mark 5 (sorry not an electric girl and can't do the conversion) for about 1.5 hours

Lovely.

OOPS FORGOT THE VERY LARGE CAN OF TOMATO SOUP!

ooh I love to cook ....ok heres mine it's more of a dessert

6 oz rasberry jello
12 oz whole canned cranberries
8 oz cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped pecans
16 oz crushed pineapple
1 1/4 cup boiling water

dissolve jello water add cranberries and pinapple juice and all ....set till almost firm add pecans let set ....when firm blend sour cream and room temp cream cheese together spread on top like topping ....set till cool ( about an hour ) then enjoy !! it's one of my absoulte favs !!!
Melissa

love this thread!

i cook, but more out of need than want...

here's my super easy and delicious crock pot chicken recipie..

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 large (or 2 small) green bell peppers
1 large vidalia (or sweet) onion
small bottle of italian dressing
can of diced stewed tomatos
salt & pepper
1-2 cups of water

put it all in a crock pot and cook it on low for 6-8 hours. it's great served over rice.

i just dump all of it in the pot, crank that sucker up and go to work. when i come home dinner is ready.

anybody know of an easy marinade for chicken or fish? i'm low on new ideas.

]Rachels Marinaded Pork Spare Ribs[/U]
2 kilos American Style Pork Ribs

Marinade
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon chili
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
2teaspoons Brown sugar
2 tablespoons Soy sauce
Mix all together.

Cut the ribs into into the size you are happy with.
Put them into a container and pour in marinade for a couple of hours at least but if you can do it overnight its better.

Put them on the bbq and they taste absolutely fantastic, serve with buttered corn on the cob and baked potatoes and salad, mmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!
xxxxxx:green: :hug: :green: [/CENTER]

YUMMY! Cut and pasted all those recipes! I love recipes! And recipe books!

This recipe is from my ex-husband's mother, Betty Johnson (RIP). It was her "famous" recipe where she lived in Northern Minnesota. When you make this you can NOT stop eating it. Nobody ever believes that until they try it. It's my favorite recipe of all time.... besides chocolate ice box cake and coconut ice box cake.

CALICO BEANS

1 large can (not the really huge one) of pork and beans, or two regular cans
1 regular can of small green lima beans, drained
1 regular can of black beans, drained
1 regular can of light red kidney beans, drained
1 regular can of any other bean of your choice... pinto, navy, butter bean, black eyed pea, etc. The point is for color... that's why it's called calico.
1 lb bacon, cut into small pieces, fried hard and drained
1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
1 large onion chopped
Heinz Ketsup
Mustard
Brown Sugar
Vinegar

Put beans, bacon, ground beef and onion in a crock pot. Add a HUGE squirt of ketsup to taste. Add brown sugar to taste... usually about 3/4 cup. A couple of squirts of mustard to taste... and a capful or two of vinegar... to taste. You'll see what I mean about "to taste"... these beans are sweet and tart at the same time.

Everything in the crock pot is already cooked, so really all you have to do is turn it on to heat everything. OMG... these beans are the best ever. I serve them with cornbread muffins and real butter.

Now I am craving them. Dammit!!!

CHOCOLATE ICEBOX CAKE

2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 stick butter
1 c. sugar
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
2 boxes chocolate instant pudding
2 regular size containers Cool Whip
2 tbsp. milk
In 9 1/2 x 13 inch cake pan, add graham cracker crumbs and 1/2 cup of sugar. Mix. Melt butter and add to crumbs and press until firm. Place in freezer for approximately 10 minutes.

Mix cream cheese, 1 container of Cool Whip, 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons milk until creamy. Add this layer on top of graham cracker crumb layer.

Mix pudding, using 3 1/2 cups of milk only, and add this as next layer. Top with Cool Whip. Refrigerate for about 2 hours.

COCONUT ICEBOX CAKE

box white cake mix
1 (15 oz.) can cream of coconut
1 can angel flake coconut (can be frozen)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 (9 oz.) container whipped topping

Mix cake mix according to package directions; bake in a 9 x 13 inch pan at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Punch holes with toothpick all over surface of warm cake. Mix cream of coconut and condensed milk together. Spoon over cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Spread whipped topping over cake (or reverse and top first with whipped topping, then coconut). Keep refrigerated.

Oh I wish I could cook! I can burn baked beans on toast lol!!

xxx

I have to say I don't use a recipe very often I just guess amounts for most things - I find it works well for me, if I'm making a curry I just go by the smell and a little taste here and there to see what else it needs. I use recipes for cakes and thats about it! I do try to always use fresh ingresients though - don't very often use tins of stuff for proper cooking. Obviously if we're just having something quick then I'd use Baked Beans or something like that. But I use fresh spices and fresh chillis and fresh herbs - I have a few dried ones in my cupboard for emergencies!

Thai Green Chicken Curry & Steamed Jasmine Rice

Serves 2-3 hungry people.
VERY HOT & SPICEY

1 can coconut milk
1 tablespoon green curry paste (bought from chinese grocer in plastic tub ideally)
1 cauliflower - floretted or frozen cauli
Juice of 1 lime
Zest of the same lime
Bunch of coriander (handful)
1 desertspoon oil
Thai Fish Sauce

Method
Cube chicken. Chop coriander. Zest lime & squeeze juice out, save.
In large pan put the oil, heat on moderate to high heat, add the curry paste and stir around the pan until the curry sauce starts to release it's aromas (you'll know when that's happening as you'll start coughing - really!) Then add the coconut milk a small amount at a time & keep adding untill it's all in. Add chicken peices. Stir, add approx 1 tablespoon Fish Sauce. Stir. Add lime zest, stir add cauliflower, turn heat down to low to moderate and leave to cook, stirring occasionally. I like to leave it until all the cauli has broken down & thickened the curry - about 45mins. Taste & add some lime juice & more fish sauce if needed to taste. Stir in coriander & serve on bed of steamed jasmine rice.

Gorgeous!

Optional ingredients are the lime juice & zest & coriander - but i think it needs it.

ENJOY!

Cherry Ripe Slice

Ingredients:
½ pack of Arnott's Milk coffee Biscuits
150g copha
250g desiccated coconut
100g glace cherries, roughly chopped
400g can sweetened condensed milk
Pink food colouring, few drops
100g chocolate
Method:
Line a square cake tin (approx. 20cm x 20cm) with greaseproof paper, and place the biscuits on the bottom of the tin (cut to fit if necessary).
Mix together the coconut, cherries, condensed milk and a few drops of the colouring in a medium sized mixing bowl. Melt 100g of copha over low heat, pour onto other ingredients and mix thoroughly. Spread evenly onto the biscuits.
Place chocolate and remaining copha together in a microwave-safe, heatproof bowl and melt in a microwave or over a saucepan of simmering water. Pour evenly over the slice and leave to set in the refrigerator. Cut into slices when set.

Yummmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:green:

YoYo Rocky Road Slice

1 packet Arnott’s Yo-Yo biscuits, crushed
125g butter, melted
375g milk chocolate
250g packet marshmallows
200g soft fruit flavoured jellies
100g unsalted roasted peanuts
Combine crushed biscuits and butter then press mixture firmly into the base of a lined 300mm x 250mm lamington tin. Refrigerate until required. Melt 100g of the chocolate and spread over the biscuit base. Melt the remaining chocolate, add the marshmallows, jellies and peanuts and mix until evenly coated. Place onto biscuit base and spread evenly. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until chocolate hardens.
Remove from tin, slice into squares with a large sharp knife and store in an airtight container for up to a week.

samantha1981 said:
Post your recipe of the best thing you can cook/make!

Spicy Sausage with Bowtie Pasta

6 medium/hot Italian sausage (removed from casings)
2 mild Italian sausage (removed from casings)
5 or 6 Portabello Mushrooms, cut in thick slices
Half a spanish onion, diced
1 jalapeño pepper minced, with or without seeds...your preference
1 handful fresh thyme taken off the stock
1 package bowtie pasta

Start pasta to boil

Meanwhile, cook and crumble sausage in large fry pan over med/high heat. When halfway cooked add mushrooms and onions, stirring occasionally and carefully. Add pepper and thyme when meat mixture is cooked through.

Drain pasta and add to meat. Mix thoroughly. Serve with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and a nice crustly Italian bread. :)

Leslee said:
CHOCOLATE ICEBOX CAKE

2 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 stick butter
1 c. sugar
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
2 boxes chocolate instant pudding
2 regular size containers Cool Whip
2 tbsp. milk
In 9 1/2 x 13 inch cake pan, add graham cracker crumbs and 1/2 cup of sugar. Mix. Melt butter and add to crumbs and press until firm. Place in freezer for approximately 10 minutes.

Mix cream cheese, 1 container of Cool Whip, 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons milk until creamy. Add this layer on top of graham cracker crumb layer.

Mix pudding, using 3 1/2 cups of milk only, and add this as next layer. Top with Cool Whip. Refrigerate for about 2 hours.

COCONUT ICEBOX CAKE

box white cake mix
1 (15 oz.) can cream of coconut
1 can angel flake coconut (can be frozen)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 (9 oz.) container whipped topping

Mix cake mix according to package directions; bake in a 9 x 13 inch pan at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Punch holes with toothpick all over surface of warm cake. Mix cream of coconut and condensed milk together. Spoon over cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Spread whipped topping over cake (or reverse and top first with whipped topping, then coconut). Keep refrigerated.

what size is the box of chocolate? It sounds really good ...

This is the famous traditional mcdonald fruitcake....
You'll need the following:
1 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
4 large brown eggs
2 cups of dried fruit
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of brown sugar
Lemon juice
1 cup of nuts
1 bottle of whiskey.

Sample the whiskey to check for quality.
Take a large bowl. Check the whiskey again. To be sure it's the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again.
Make sure the whiskey is still okay. Cry another tup. Turn off the mixer. Beat two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Mix on the tuner. If the fired druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver.
Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares? Check the whiskey. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.
Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window. Check the whiskey again and go to bed. Who the hell likes fruitcake anyway??

Hey tami
Out of all these recipies this is the one for me:lol: :lol: :lol:

tamimac said:
You'll need the following:
1 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
4 large brown eggs
2 cups of dried fruit
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of brown sugar
Lemon juice
1 cup of nuts
1 bottle of whiskey.

Sample the whiskey to check for quality.
Take a large bowl. Check the whiskey again. To be sure it's the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again.
Make sure the whiskey is still okay. Cry another tup. Turn off the mixer. Beat two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Mix on the tuner. If the fired druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver.
Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares? Check the whiskey. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.
Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window. Check the whiskey again and go to bed. Who the hell likes fruitcake anyway??

baked beans on toast?? see, i don't get even the simple english(?) dishes!

here's my grandma's banana pudding recipie... it's very creamy, sweet and cold. if you're on a diet, this one is NOT for you!!

Edifell's Creamy Banana Pudding

1 can of sweetened condensed milk (eagle brand)
1 small box of instant vanilla pudding mix
1 pt of heavy whipping cream
1 cup VERY COLD water
a box or two of nilla wafers
a bunch of bananas, sliced and dipped in lemon juice

put a metal or glass mixing bowl in your freezer for 15 minutes while you're getting all of your ingredients together. if you don't have a fridge that dispenses water, you'll want to put the cup of water in the freezer with the bowl.

using a stand mixer or a hand held mixer whip the whipping cream in the bowl from your freezer (the cold makes the cream whip faster) you want it firm but not over whipped. when you dip a spoon in and pull it out you should have a soft peak that will stand up (watched martha stewart one too many times on tv).

mix condensed milk, cold water and pudding mix in a separate bowl and put it in the fridge for 5 minutes to set up.

fold the pudding into the whipped cream. don't over mix it. fold gently. you want the mix to stay fluffy.

layer wafers, pudding and bananas ending with the pudding. i use the crumbs and some broken cookies for the very top. but you can also use cool whip if your bowl isn't full.

refrigerate for 1 hour and enjoy!

all you'll need with this is a tall glass of sweet iced tea and some fried chicken and you'll think that you're in north carolina with me!:)

tamimac said:

love it love it love it!! ROFPMSL!!!

Latest posts

Back