Gelish in Sally's for pro and retail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have wondered this I use shellac but if you think about it they would have to buy a base a top coat a lamp and a colour that quite a lot of money to be stuck with the same colour for ages lol and they probably wont prep properly so it will come off lol x

Im not happy about it either. I feel let down by Nail Harmony to be honest. I am not being overly dramatic, but I feel like thi product was advertised and shown to be a high end product, which is still is, but the fact that it is stocked in Sallys has damaged its reputation without question. This is proved by this thread! Of course it doesnt change the formulation or the fact that it is a fantastic product, but it does take something away from the treatment when you are able to perform it yourself at home. This is true whether they stock all the colours or not.
I understand that Nail Harmony want to promote their brand to the public, and I dont think people are annoyed at the fact that they are selling to a distributor so much, its the fact that Sallys is percieved as a 'low-end' retailer. I hope Sallys can improve their reputation, its just a shame they didnt do this before Gelish sold to them. This has happened with numerous bands, TIGI, Paul Mitchell, Dermalogica, that were only available in profesional salons but now anyone can buy in boots. I personally feel a bit duped having bought into a 'high end' system that is now available in high street retailer. :cry:

I think this is a well reasoned and unemotional reply xxxx

Nail Harmony need to do what they believe is best for their business.

Just as I need to do what is best for mine!!!

It's a shame that shop assistants in Sally/Salon Services got the inside (and not totally accurate) info before NHUK got it out themselves. Georgie has done what she truly believes to be right for the Company and she has far more information on how this situation is going to work than the 'panic' reaction is providing.

Once its all settled down, I doubt it will be as dreadful as many seem to think and Gellish will still be a pro only treatment. Those that really want it have always been able to get it from ebay along with all the others.

Harmony have been sending in their trainers to the NSS nail bars who will also now be doing Gelish....I will be taking bets that Tesco will be next.:irked:

hi guys am not a gelish user or any other soak off gel polish at the moment .. but just wanted to say when i lived in uk i used to go to sallys and buy hair tints and stock etc.. i am a pro and once they stopped selling to the public ... they actually stayed true to it any time i was in and anyone came in they told em straight without a card and prrof of qualifications you cannot even buy a tub of hair gel
which i congratulated them on all the time .. in canada sallys sell to public it is pants but theres the professional only wholesalers that sell the premium grade products (cnd , wella , matrix etc.. )
for what its worth if i was in uk and could get gelish from sallys then yes i would x

I've just bought into Gelish and I love love love the product. It's been a big investment for me as a fairly new nail tech and is proving popular with my clients only a month in. I wouldn't consider changing to another brand just for selling in Sally's until I was definitely sure that it was having a detrimental effect on my business, I haven't got the capital for a start!

I doubt very much whether many people would invest in top it off, foundation, cleanse, remover, lamp and a selection of colours. Those that do want to try it out themselves will probably buy knock off products from Ebay for half the price then wonder why they get awful results.

I know I'm just re-iterating what others are saying, but wanted to put in my twopenneth worth ;). I think though if 'joe public' want to buy it badly enough they'll find a way, Sally's or not.

I think the main point of concern from what i have read and also discussed is the fact that it is SALLY's and the fact that many people have no or little faith in them as a supplier of professional products. I think if it was a solely trade only exclusive to only professional beauticians, hairdressers and nail techs then i think the story would be somewhat different..

Sarah x

I've just bought into Gelish and I love love love the product. It's been a big investment for me as a fairly new nail tech and is proving popular with my clients only a month in. I wouldn't consider changing to another brand just for selling in Sally's until I was definitely sure that it was having a detrimental effect on my business, I haven't got the capital for a start!

I doubt very much whether many people would invest in top it off, foundation, cleanse, remover, lamp and a selection of colours. Those that do want to try it out themselves will probably buy knock off products from Ebay for half the price then wonder why they get awful results.

I know I'm just re-iterating what others are saying, but wanted to put in my twopenneth worth ;). I think though if 'joe public' want to buy it badly enough they'll find a way, Sally's or not.

There's a difference between someone buying from a so called professional on eBay that's trying to make a quick buck and someone buying from a beauty wholesalers.
Basically if it's sold in boots people see it as something they can do at home and not a professional use only product.
Same goes for sallys they sell to The public so the public then think of these products as something they can do them selves not something they will want to pay for in a salon!

Thank you for all your thoughts, for what it's worth, we thought long and hard as to the positives and negatives. The negatives are what a few of you have already mentioned, that it won't be perceived as a professional only product. Can I reiterate though that Gelish WILL NOT BE SOLD TO ANYONE WHO DOESN'T HOLD A TRADE CARD. However I feel that it is only a handful of 'non professionals' who actually go into Sally's retail stores, unlikely to be clients of ours anyway and once they are introduced to it will either take a course to be able to use it or look for a local salon that offers it. Positives, those of you who use Gelish, will benefit from vat free days, no delivery charges, and more exposure from people who have never heard of it before.
I doubt any of your clients will be concerned as to where you purchase from, I for one have never been questioned as to who my suppliers are, neither have I ever had to justify myself or my prices. I do think however that clients who have become accustomed to Gelish on their nails, and have their favourite colour choices, will question why there's a change in product if you decide to change brands. I would personally think of my clients first, and see whether it really does have a detrimental effect on my business before changing brands, then I would have a viable explanation for them.

In a similar vein, maybe NSI users should be jumping up and down in horror as there's a certain nail/beauty retail establishment not far from me who sell it to literally anyone. They don't even operate a trade card system and this is despite being told to the contrary by NSI themselves that one could only purchase their l&p/gel products after their own specific training. Go figure! :|

There's a difference between someone buying from a so called professional on eBay that's trying to make a quick buck and someone buying from a beauty wholesalers.
Basically if it's sold in boots people see it as something they can do at home and not a professional use only product.
Same goes for sallys they sell to The public so the public then think of these products as something they can do them selves not something they will want to pay for in a salon!

IMHO they would be making a very expensive mistake if that were the case, application as we all know is everything! One botch home job & they would soon be running back to a salon for professional application!

Personally I will be glad to be able to po into somewhere local & pick up odd bits & bobs as I run out, save the postage & waiting time.

It's a shame that shop assistants in Sally/Salon Services got the inside (and not totally accurate) info before NHUK got it out themselves. Georgie has done what she truly believes to be right for the Company and she has far more information on how this situation is going to work than the 'panic' reaction is providing.

Once its all settled down, I doubt it will be as dreadful as many seem to think and Gellish will still be a pro only treatment. Those that really want it have always been able to get it from ebay along with all the others.

It is absolutely ridiculous to say that this is a 'panic' reaction. We are grown, professionals who are actually allowed to have opinions of our own. Just because they don't happen to be opinions of Nail Harmony or those who have association with them beit family members working for them or actually working for them themselves, it doesn't mean we don't have a legitimate case.

The way we feel is the way we feel. OPI had an arrangement to put their Acrylic products in there years ago, even down to the courses being printed in the then Nails magazine, dates and places. They had to pull it before even getting the acrylic in as Sallys went back on their word that they would check that everyone was OPI trained. Sallys were left with a load of tips, primers and implements to shift and a lot of empty shelving ready for the Acrylic powders and liquids, all marked up waiting.

None of us thought this would ever happen with Harmony but the way it has been handled just goes to prove that Sallys cannot be trusted as if what you say is true and the Sallys staff should not have said anything until it was announced. Things were fine with Harmony while we were singing their praises on here but now we feel let down the tone has changed and we are being accused of spreading rumours and panicking.
I for one am not panicking I am calmly shifting over to another product that will only be available from a distributor of merit and if they decide to sell in Sallys then I will shift again. That is my right and it is the right of anyone else who wants to do so.:grr:

IMHO they would be making a very expensive mistake if that were the case, application as we all know is everything! One botch home job & they would soon be running back to a salon for professional application!

Personally I will be glad to be able to po into somewhere local & pick up odd bits & bobs as I run out, save the postage & waiting time.

I have seen people , even at Excel open the bottle to look at the colour.

I'm sure at Sally's the public will be opening the bottles ( maybe putting a little on their dirty fingernail) to look at the colour.... Will we still want to pop in & get a contaminated bottle?:irked:

It is absolutely ridiculous to say that this is a 'panic' reaction. We are grown, professionals who are actually allowed to have opinions of our own. Just because they don't happen to be opinions of Nail Harmony or those who have association with them beit family members working for them or actually working for them themselves, it doesn't mean we don't have a legitimate case.

The way we feel is the way we feel. OPI had an arrangement to put their Acrylic products in there years ago, even down to the courses being printed in the then Nails magazine, dates and places. They had to pull it before even getting the acrylic in as Sallys went back on their word that they would check that everyone was OPI trained. Sallys were left with a load of tips, primers and implements to shift and a lot of empty shelving ready for the Acrylic powders and liquids, all marked up waiting.

None of us thought this would ever happen with Harmony but the way it has been handled just goes to prove that Sallys cannot be trusted as if what you say is true and the Sallys staff should not have said anything until it was announced. Things were fine with Harmony while we were singing their praises on here but now we feel let down the tone has changed and we are being accused of spreading rumours and panicking.
I for one am not panicking I am calmly shifting over to another product that will only be available from a distributor of merit and if they decide to sell in Sallys then I will shift again. That is my right and it is the right of anyone else who wants to do so.:grr:

Maybe you don't understand the meaning of ' '! If I had meant panic in the true sense they wouldn't be there. Your overly aggressive response rather fits the bill actually LOL.

Once again, I know Georgie has made a decision after a great deal of thought. It's her decision as it will be the decision of those that stay with the brand and those that choose to go elsewhere (and there seems to be plenty of both)

Maybe you don't understand the meaning of ' '! If I had meant panic in the true sense they wouldn't be there. Your overly aggressive response rather fits the bill actually LOL.

Once again, I know Georgie has made a decision after a great deal of thought. It's her decision as it will be the decision of those that stay with the brand and those that choose to go elsewhere (and there seems to be plenty of both)

As another disappointed tech I totally appreciate The Smedleys must do what's best for their business and if that's to sell in Sally's then so be it!

I must however disagree with you as I simply do not see Shedunlop's reply to your post as "overly aggressive"

As Shedunlop was probably one of the 1st and most vocal advocates for Gelish (even before Jason and Georgie were announced as distributors) I see her post merely as verbalising her utter frustration and disappointment at their decision.

I have seen people , even at Excel open the bottle to look at the colour.

I'm sure at Sally's the public will be opening the bottles ( maybe putting a little on their dirty fingernail) to look at the colour.... Will we still want to pop in & get a contaminated bottle?:irked:

That's a pretty broad assumption! Those who feel that strongly will still be able to purchase by post from Harmony distributors & with that in mind everyone should be happy! :D:D

Once again I don't understand. If this is the best explanation that anyone can give about this issue it is a very poor show.

Firstly we have had that we don't understand, then we are getting it wrong, then we are panicking, now I am being agressive.

I was behind this brand from the very beginning, as said above, even before it was confirmed that Georgie and Jason were to be the distributors so I have no gripe with the quality of the product.

It is up to Georgie and Jason what they do with the product, although I am not sure how much say they have had due to the fact that this is happening in the States as well. The fact is that the disappointment felt by a lot of loyal customers at first has not been at all allayed by anyone from Nail Harmony or their distributors or relatives of. The way the situation has been handled has upset even more people on here. There have been husbands and aunts posting here and on Facebook in defense of the decision.

Do you know what I do understand, that if it was a great decision there would be no need to defend it! We still haven't had any word on why the description has changed from Gel/Polish hybrid to Coloured Gel which was the last thing we disagreed on. LOL!

As another disappointed tech I totally appreciate The Smedleys must do what's best for their business and if that's to sell in Sally's then so be it!

I must however disagree with you as I simply do not see Shedunlop's reply to your post as "overly aggressive"

As Shedunlop was probably one of the 1st and most vocal advocates for Gelish (even before Jason and Georgie were announced as distributors) I see her post merely as verbalising her utter frustration and disappointment at their decision.

Thanks sweetie, seems I was damned when I backed this product to the hilt and now I am damned when I don't! :green:

my bottles have soak off gel polish on them not coloured gel ?? ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back