Gelish in Sally's for pro and retail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I can gather on their Facebook page, some Sallys are now trade only and these are the only ones that will be stocking Gelish...so in theory the public won't be able to buy it. It's also a 3 month trial.....

Yes Julie this is the problem. We have a Salon Services/Sallys in Gloucester which recently changed to trade only and a Sallys in Cheltenham 10 miles away which is still trade and retail. I rang Cheltenham today and they have told me that they are stocking Gelish and they have not been told it will not be available to everyone.

It is up to the individual if they think it effects them or not but I want to use professional brands that are not available to the public. If Sallys were trying to up their game as stated in this months Scratch magazine they would have changed all of their stores to trade only and have had done with it.

I would rather have Gelish associated with a more professional company than Sallys where a lot of Gloucester and Cheltenham women go to shop for their hair and beauty stuff.:(

I telephoned them, the lady..... well Girl:( said they are geting them in in June 24 colours wonder how much ??

We have been told that they will cost the same there but you will obviously save the postage and packing charges and be able to pick up just one bottle at a time if you want to. :green:

There are lots of products, such as enhancements and perms, that you can only buy if you have a card. Perhaps they'll apply this to Gelish?
At my local Sally's, if an item is for professional use ONLY, it will have a $0.00 price on it. The sales clerk at my local Sally's said that she anticipates that is how Gelish will be sold so that only nail professionals may purchase it; however, I don't believe it. As it stands now, non-professionals can purchase acrylic kits and nail tips to apply their own enhancements. What makes this any different? I only go to Sally's when I can't get to my regular sources.

I prefer to purchase my products and supplies from suppliers that service only professionals. Locally they are Premier Nail Source, CosmoProf and SalonCentric.

We have been told that they will cost the same there but you will obviously save the postage and packing charges and be able to pick up just one bottle at a time if you want to. :green:

And they do have a VAT free day every month which would be a good saving if Gelish is included.

Hello all,

There have been various stories re this, some true, some not. If any have concerns with any aspect, please contact Georgie or Jason who will explain EXACTLY what the deal is :hug:

Far better to hear from the horses mouth than speculate :)

i only really go to sallys when they have their vat free days & stock up on couch roll wipes etc, there is a few people who have set up trading that haven't had training & using what you can buy retail at sallys

You have to hope that Gelish products will be included in the VAT free sale, but they may not. I think I'm right in saying that the TIGI products, that are available in the trade only stores, aren't included in the VAT free sale.

OPI stocked in Sally is available on VAT free days.

Gutted was going to bring gelish into my salon but won't now as my sallys sells to everyone, people borrow cards to buy the trade stuff too! Nail harmony this is bad, stop being greedy and stay as u r please! Was looking at their new gels coming out but I won't bother now!

I have a larder full of ingredients in my kitchen. Do you think I could produce a meal to the same standard as Nigella or Heston? Even though I started with the same raw ingredients?

Yes Julie this is the problem. We have a Salon Services/Sallys in Gloucester which recently changed to trade only and a Sallys in Cheltenham 10 miles away which is still trade and retail. I rang Cheltenham today and they have told me that they are stocking Gelish and they have not been told it will not be available to everyone.

It is up to the individual if they think it effects them or not but I want to use professional brands that are not available to the public. If Sallys were trying to up their game as stated in this months Scratch magazine they would have changed all of their stores to trade only and have had done with it.

I would rather have Gelish associated with a more professional company than Sallys where a lot of Gloucester and Cheltenham women go to shop for their hair and beauty stuff.:(

my sentiments exactly xxxx

I phoned Nail Harmony today, the lady I spoke to said Gelish will be in Sally's Salon Serve from July for a 3 months trial period, she said they will not be selling all the colours. I expressed my concern about them having shops where the general public can buy products and she assured me that Sally's were going to sell it to Nail Professionals only and that they would have to show their mani/pedi certificates. She also said if they got complaints/reports of Gelish being sold to non professionals the brand would be withdrawn.

Carole

Is this UK only or worldwide?

My main concern is that whlist clients/the public may not be able buy the products, they may be able to see the price we pay for stock...

I for one don't want to be justifying my prices

Most clients realise that they're not just paying for the ingredients; they're paying for the rent, lighting, training, insurance, towels, equipment etc. And if they question you you can always point that out to them.
I'm very happy to justify my prices to anyone who asks.

I have a larder full of ingredients in my kitchen. Do you think I could produce a meal to the same standard as Nigella or Heston? Even though I started with the same raw ingredients?

I couldn't agree more. We're all professionals but when we first started out, despite being trained, I'm sure most of us struggled to do our own nails. I agree that some might buy this to work on other people but it's all available on ebay (and I was looking on there the other day....I can't believe how much empty shellac racks are going for!). We've just got to provide a better service as there will always be people who are DIY just as there will always be people who want it done properly along with the service we provide.

I read (I think it was in Scratch) that Tesco is going to be offering nail services in their shops....Is that the next place we will be seeing Gelish I wonder.:irked:

I know the public were buying professional tints from Sally's (& Capital were not selling professional tints to the public) as "the rules were different for Sally's as they are American based" I was told by the check out girl.

I'm so annoyed I have invested so much into Gelish, even printed stuff out to help them get more recognised as a professional product...

SHOULD HAVE STUCK TO SHELLAC- You don't see them selling to the public.

Is this UK only or worldwide?

This is just in the UK as Nail Harmony UK are the distributors we are talking about and Sally's Salon Services the wholesalers.

I am a bit torn about this as obviously I want my clients to get a professional service from me and not try a DIY job if they can obtain the prodcts.
My nearest Sally's Salon Services is Trade only so I am glad that they won't be selling to any of my clients, although once you have a trade card you can buy anything so hairdressers can buy nail products and vice versa ;)

As for clients seeing the Trade price I don't see that as a problem as in order to use Gelish you require Foundation Gel and Top it Off and all the other ancillary items like Gel cleanse, not to mention a lamp!

It would probably suit me to run 5 mins up the road to get a Gelish colour I am running low on or get to see the colour properly before purchase, but I am still a bit unsure about a brand like Gelish being associated with Sally's Salon Services. :confused:

Gelish was the brand I choose after trialling others and the reasons I chose it still are relevant. My clients love it, and me for looking after their nails, so I don't think I will be cutting off my nose to spite my face and changing brands just yet....

So for the moment I will see what happens during this trial period whilst sitting on the fence :eek:

I feel very upset about this. I feel like swapping brands.
I do agree about the fact that we still give the service etc. BUT I chose gelish as a professional only brand selling to professionals only!! I no that it's available in eBay but this is different, gelish didn't want it to be on eBay and were waiting to get it stopped being sold on there.
If this is the case we may as well cut out all professional brands and do facials in No 1....... They will still get our service! It's the same thing.
Gelish why have you done this???!

I had to laugh when I read this as my friend also buys a lot of her beauty stuff from the Cheltenham branch of Sallys !

The problem with Sallys is that although they may insist on a trade card to purchase Gelish pretty much anyone can get access to one of these cards via a friend who is trained in hair/beauty.

Don't forget all those girls that have been to college years ago but never worked in a salon will have kept their sallys card, where do you think they buy there OPI polishs and hair straighteners, thats right good old sallys !

How many hair stylists buy beauty products and vice versa ? The distributors know all this and there is no way that Sallys will check everyones qualifications if they are happy to sell bleach and all sorts of chemicals to the public they won't give two figs about Gelish. The bottom line is how many £'s they are making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back