Gentle Reminder Please Geeks.............

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for some people with dyslexia a spell checker is of no use, a bit like when they spell check essays, the computer will find a word, might not be the right one.
i agree about the spacing/paragraphs, but lets not try to make those who are trying to help others feel bad, they are giving up their own time to do so. jmo

My pet hate is people that write "i" instead of "I" and as Bombini wrote, block paragraphs oh and using the bright coloured font that makes me go all cross eyed when I try to read.

Just thought of another,when geeks put a capital letter at the beginning of every single word,why do they do that????It must be such an effort to keep putting the cap lock on and off.:eek:

I agree .......it makes it easier to read when it is done properly .........but will say when I post I re-read it and if it sounds / looks goofy I try to edit it .....to space my paragraphs I do use allot of .............though:rolleyes: sorry.....

i agree about the spacing/paragraphs, but lets not try to make those who are trying to help others feel bad, they are giving up their own time to do so. jmo

thank you for saying that Eager Beaver.
Must we be so very very picky?
Not everyone is as perfect at typing as some are or think they are. Yes, I agree that we could all take a few seconds and re read our posts and make corrections but if
We go on and on about what bugs us about how others type, those people are going to start feeling paranoid about posting. And just think about the next question you might have and not get the answer because the person who could answer that question might be the person that got paranoid about the way they type.

And if everyone becomes perfect in their posting , then that is taking part of my job away..I love to go thru and edit a few here and there. :)

Ease up.

I agree with this. I am not the best speller and i have tried loads of times to install the spell checker but it won't let me :irked:

The only thing that annoys me is block paragraphs I do find them slightly hard to read.
That's my major peev too. Especially when they are relly long. I does make it very hard to read. The odd typo or spelling mistake I can handle, but I do have to agree that proper grammer and punctuation is alot easier on the eyes.

Just thought of another,when geeks put a capital letter at the beginning of every single word,why do they do that????It must be such an effort to keep putting the cap lock on and off.:eek:
that happens when you leave the caps on, not intentionally type a capital for every word..lol

And if everyone becomes perfect in their posting , then that is taking part of my job away..I love to go thru and edit a few here and there. :)

Ease up.
Ah well then i shall be happy to leave a few mistakes for you, wouldnr want to deprive you of your fun:lol:

six munfs ago i cud not even spel eggsecutive... now i is one!

Come on guys.. lighten up... you are going to be giving people 'post paranoia' lol!!!

Before you all hate me for speaking my mind :eek: .. I am not disagreeing with what you are saying... but not everyone can spot when they make mistakes within their grammar. Not everyone has a spell check installed ... geesh it took me an age to fathom out how to install one on Firefox. Grammar, punctuation and paragraph style may not be 'natural' or very easy for some geeks. :hug:

You know what ?

I think as long as we all make an effort,then that should be that.

We are not all great with grammar,that doesn't not make us any less intelligent or professional,we just have different strengths.

I agree we need to be mindfull of the fact that this site is international,but i personally don't feel it is important enough of an issue for someone not to post iykwim.

As said before,if it bothers you that much report the post to the mods for editing .

Have a nice day all :D

well I have read this a few times now , and not posted.
but now I'm going to ...
I am not a very good speller at all (as some of you may have noticed :lol: )
I don't always know when i have spelt a word wrong ,so wouldn't know when to change it ,
sometimes I use the spell check if I am not sure,
I don't always use capital I's because sometimes i type in such a rush (Although I have done it here it has taken me forever), that I don't think about it , and it doesn't come natural to me to do so automatically .
I haven't got a clue about punctuation etc...

The only one thing I would say , not that it annoys me, but it does make things difficult to read ,is no paragraphs ,I cant concentrate if the whole post is in a block ,
but I believe some peoples PC's do this automatically even if they have actually written paragraphs,

Now yes , I could go back to college and do an English course , or keep a dictionary by the PC , but in all honesty ,
I'm not going to.
if I did it would last all of 5 minutes and I'd get so bored and switch off ,

Not everyone is as perfect at typing as some are or think they are. Yes, I agree that we could all take a few seconds and re read our posts and make corrections but if
We go on and on about what bugs us about how others type, those people are going to start feeling paranoid about posting. And just think about the next question you might have and not get the answer because the person who could answer that question might be the person that got paranoid about the way they type.

Ease up.

This was my thoughts exactly. I am not the best of spellers, as I'm sure many of us are not also, but this should not not us off posting which I think this thread could well do (to the more sensitive geeks of course:) )

I totally agree with the points made about paragraphs and capitals as they make the basic reading of the post a lot easier, but come on, its a web site, not a English essay, so no points deducted for spellings mistakes and improper punctuation please!

Personally it dosen't bother me at all.
If the post is difficult to read, then I just don't bother reading it.

We are all here to help , encourage and support each other. I personally wouldn't dream of trying to tell peeps how to post. (Please don't take offence as this is my opinion, and we are all entitled to our opinions arent we!!)

Life is too short and too busy to be bothered about this type of thing imo.

Peeps are going to feel inferior , and won't bother posting, which would be a shame because some geeks are being picky.

Now thats just what I think. I personally don't like people telling mem or anybody else for that matter how to write a post.

I don't write in text on here, but it really doesn't bother me if other peeps do.

We are all so so different.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: xx

I cant abide text talk on here, I think it is lazy and rude..

but as for the rest of it, its annoying but it ain't life threatening.

Ease up.

six munfs ago i cud not even spel eggsecutive... now i is one!

Come on guys.. lighten up... you are going to be giving people 'post paranoia' lol!!!

Before you all hate me for speaking my mind :eek: .. I am not disagreeing with what you are saying... but not everyone can spot when they make mistakes within their grammar. Not everyone has a spell check installed ... geesh it took me an age to fathom out how to install one on Firefox. Grammar, punctuation and paragraph style may not be 'natural' or very easy for some geeks. :hug:

I don't think that this is being picky or about making peeps feel paranoid. Granted, we all make mistakes. However, the following is not a mistake

it is a paragraf where there is no attempt 2 use any punctuationor full stops n commas.this includes lack of spacing n if i want 2 use a small i then i will

Sam asks that we do post correctly and not use text speak. Yes, there is a geek language which many of us use but it is an accepted geek language on this site. The above paragraph is not.

it is a paragraf where there is no attempt 2 use any punctuationor full stops n commas.this includes lack of spacing n if i want 2 use a small i then i will.

:eek: come again...???...........:lol:

I don't like text talk at all... it is harder to write like that and it is harder to read it. I get texts like that from friends, who are adults and half of the time I just ignore it until they ring. There are TS dictionaries inbuilt into mobile phones, so there is no excuse.

As for bad punctuation, several times I have totally misunderstood posts on here... especially by one Geek... I could NEVER understand what the hell they were going on about... they don't post so much now... but then so many other Geeks could reply because they could understand it :green:

For some people, it is obvious that they aren't brilliant at Grammar.. but does it matter, really? As long as they get the point across and do their best, then I can forgive a few minor errors. I can read and see past minor errors, it is text talk and lack of punctuation I struggle with.

We all make mistakes at one time or another, I wouldn't like to think people are sniggering behind my back at the times I don't get all my posts 100% correct.

:eek: come again...???...........:lol:
My point exactly Angie, lol.

For some people, it is obvious that they aren't brilliant at Grammar.. but does it matter, really? As long as they get the point across and do their best, then I can forgive a few minor errors. I can read and see past minor errors, it is text talk and lack of punctuation I struggle with.

We all make mistakes at one time or another, I wouldn't like to think people are sniggering behind my back at the times I don't get all my posts 100% correct.
I don't think anybody sniggers behind anybody elses back and yes we all make mistakes. Some people are bad spellers, bad at grammer etc..... This has been acknowledged. My thread is really aimed at those peeps who actually can't be bothered to even try to post correctly.

As Jac Extreme mentioned, it is lazy and rude. This is a site for sharing of professional knowledge and personally I think it is disrespectful to Sam (who owns the site) and the mods who have to sort out bad posts.

From my point of view, if I see a thread started and I find it difficult to read, no punctuation or just one big chunky paragraph....it gets ignored.

I can't help it!
It annoys the hell out of me, and I have to be honest, I can't be bothered to read it.

Spelling mistakes are fine to a degree, as sometimes people forget to use spell checker or doesn't have one etc.

So for me..... if the thread/post doesn't make sense, I'm likely to ignore it.

Sorry!

I am one of those peeps who can,t spell for england... sorry guys..(I spell as I say it)

My puntuation is complete crap,

My fingers can press the wrong buttons and then nothing makes any sence at all,

But I love this site and the people that I have made friends with, and I believe that if i make these mistakes my friends will battle through it whatever.

I have to admit though i do tend to put in brackets if i have done any of the above and take the mikky out of myself first.

I really do try my best with spelling but sorry its not something that comes very natural to me, and as for spell check.... how do you load anything like that on here:irked::irked::irked:

But i do luuvvvveeee you all, am i forgiven:Love::Love::Love:

Latest posts

Back