I can learn how to do nails in five minutes ????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wanna hear something funny? a while ago I did a product conversion (utter crap low end stuff, not my beloved CND!!) and the lady asked how long I studied nails for at college, I told her it was 18 weeks each for mani, pedi and enhancements and she laughed her head off and said she teaches the whole lot in a day!

so my point is it's not just us techs that think we can rush around and be fab in 5 mins, seems like some of the so-called pros think that too!

:lol: I bet she charges a lot for it as well, then clients have to pay double, once for the crap job then again to get it put right.

:lol: I bet she charges a lot for it as well, then clients have to pay double, once for the crap job then again to get it put right.
LOL well she reckons she doesnt do nails anymore, since she is so busy training (girls in prison)! I rang the company head office but they said she's a trainer so independent from them so they wouldnt give me the money back!! oh well, a lesson learned, just thought I would share it as I find it even worse when 'trainers' are so crap and think they can do it in 5 mins too!

Unfortunatly I think it seems to be getting worse. I have to say it does annoy me that some people really slate these one day nail courses then book on a ONE DAY Wax, Massage, Facial Course etc I mean come on talk about double standards.

Most high street salons and spas will not take on therapists (& usually techs) without a nvq 3 or equivalant because they KNOW the theory has been covered and they have had LOTS of practice. A one day course in any treatment may cover a minor amount of practical and send students away with a wad of theory but what if they don't do it ? They still have a 'certificate' which 'qualifes' them in the treatment and lets face it not everyone is going to go away and actually learn it.

BTW There is a fantastic article in Professional Beauty Magazine about this subject, I will see if I can find the link.

I have been reading this thread with interest.
I have been looking for a course in nails, and the amount of courses which promise diplomas etc in all nail care and extensions in three days is mad.
I know for a fact there is no way i would be able to learn all i need to in 3 -6 days, it will take months.
I have just been offered a course for three days doing manicure, pedicure, gel, fibreglass and acylic in three days, cost should be £775 however they will charge £575.
Along with a eyebrow, lash tinting, shaping, waxing and facial in three days again should be £775 and they will charge £575.
Me thinks i will NOT being doing this course as i will not learn anywhere near what i need to.
Yet people will pay this and do the course expecting to be qualified and start charging customers.

I have saved alot of money to attend a proper course, i would prefer college for the next two-three years, though this is proving difficult

Unfortunatly I think it seems to be getting worse. I have to say it does annoy me that some people really slate these one day nail courses then book on a ONE DAY Wax, Massage, Facial Course etc I mean come on talk about double standards.

Most high street salons and spas will not take on therapists (& usually techs) without a nvq 3 or equivalant because they KNOW the theory has been covered and they have had LOTS of practice. A one day course in any treatment may cover a minor amount of practical and send students away with a wad of theory but what if they don't do it ? They still have a 'certificate' which 'qualifes' them in the treatment and lets face it not everyone is going to go away and actually learn it.

I take it thats a dig at me? as im the only one that said i had done a 1 day wax course!

I'll tell you why i did a one day course in waxing. I had been working in the salon 8 months, ide stood in on waxing treatments, even did some waxing on clients who was kind enough to allow me to. As quoted by many "If you dont try you will never learn"
In those 8 months i learned so much and that stood me in good stead for my course. I knew every question in the theory test and my verbal comunication was spot on also.
Infact i was faster and better at waxing than the girl teaching me, so call it double standards if you like but i knew that the course i booked was the right one for me and there was no point booking one over a longer period of time.

Well like most if not all people that have posted and read this thread I completely agree. Its quite irritating when you listen to people who tend to give you the attitude "Its nails, how hard can it be?!"

I'd love to say to them

"Nothing short of rocket science..specially in your case"

Though I can't exactly go on huge rants about people that think its so easy...I used to be one of those people. :smack:

The worst part was watching my girlfriend (Anna Lajourdie) at the helm, she makes things look so damn easy. I was in for a rough let down when it took 3 hours for me to do 3.5 nails. So much harder than I expected.

Needless to say I have obtained a much higher respect for the business since my first wake up call on how "easy" it really is.

Some are lucky enough to be "naturals" at the practical work, but lack theory.

There are so many variables to take into account.

One important thing that drives many people is money ... thats all they want .... unfortunately, techs want the income, so they keep on keeping on.

But whats even worse is when the teachers and schools are only interested in money, they let students go way before they are ready..... just to make room for the next lot and sell the previous underqualified, innocent and somewhat gullible students product.

There are circumstances when schools do not have a choice about keeping the students whether they are fully qualified or not. If the student has completed their course we cannot keep them in school, it is not our choice, our governing body determines their "competence" by a skills test.

Not everyone can do nails, no matter how much money they spend.

Nails are an artform and just like painting (I mean accurate painting, imagine painting a picture of a nail that actually looked real) anyone can paint an "abstract", but I really don't think clients want "abstract" looking nails.

Nails should be quite precise, not an interpretation.

Tell that to the schools and teachers that are setting these new "techs" loose on the general paying public and reflecting on our industry as a whole.

While students are learning, they perform services on the general public at a reduced price (usually enough to cover the cost of product and overhead) with the client has to understand the work is being done by a student, and while they are supervised, not all students have the drive or desire to become an accurate artist.:mad:

All you have to do is look at the threads posted by newbies in here (please don't take offense guys), but really your teachers should be teaching you, YOU should be asking "THEM" the questions (apparently they are good enough to teach). Or are they too busy making money by cramming too many students in per class to give you some individual attention you have paid for and deserve?

Not all newbies want to be taught, they would rather do it how their nail person does it regaurdless of consequence because of the relationship they have with their nail professional. There are frequently times when I feel I'm banging my head against the wall while explaining that technology, technique and product availability are constantly changing. A true professional (you know you are Carl, you spend too much time perfecting not to be) spends time improving their craft, not growing idle and letting the technology pass them by.

If I was learning and had to look elsewhere for advice, i'd also be looking elsewhere for education.

I'm always learning, I try to look every where I can for advice (some I take with a grain of salt- that's because I've been around so long) and I'll take education any way I can get it- I may have to sift through a load of manure but I can honestly say no matter the class I usually take at least one thing that I can apply.

There has been many of the years who have said to me 'Im thinking of doing nails - could you teach me'. I may have done nails for a bloody long time but I I am not in any position to just 'teach ' someone nails for next to nowt - thats not how I did it - it has cost me alot of money and time to be able to be where I am now.

I have always pointed out that in order to do good nails they should start with a basic then move on to advanced and continuous training (actually I could do with a brush up myself lol)

and everytime I have reccomended CND or EZ flow maybe even Bio gel and they NEVER listen to me - they go for a cheap 2 day course and thats them - set free in the business of nails - it annoys the tits off me - it really does.

I know none of you are going to like this but oh well .. I took my course in 3 days.. and although I am still learning day by day i don't think I am a bad nail tech and I have happy satisfied customers.. Agreed it would have been nicer to really know the ins and outs before I started but I just charged $10 and practiced on anyone who would let me I passed my written and theory with a 94% which I thought was pretty could..

As far as the comment about if you cant afford it you have to save up .. Seriously! I am a single Mom of 3 who had to claim bankruptcy when my spouse and I seperated i needed a way to make some extra income to feed my kids I had no time for saving up you cannot judge every situation in black and white

I applaud all who took a full course and am glad you could but please don't judge those of who either hadn't the time or the money for whatever or circumstance..

anyway thats my two cents..

Good post Adel, and one with which all professionals would agree I'm sure.

The ones who would not agree with you are the ones who have entered the nail industry with a 'money' motive and no passion or love for what they do. They are the ones who trash clients' nails and have no idea how to care and nurture them, nor could they care less. They are the ones who 'know it all' in 5 minutes because that is all they want to know, because they think they CAN. They are also the ones who do not succeed.

Seeing this attitude is annoying and irritating to professionals as it is these ones that have led to the low opinion that many have of nail technicians in general.

Happily, thinking women get referrals and choose real professionals. Unhappily many do not.

I am really sorry but how can you say that.. Some may trash their clients nails but I really think you are being a little harsh here.. Unless you have seen the nails of the techs you are saying basically are just ruining the nail business in general how can you judge..

I think this will be my last post here unfortunatly .. way to judgemental on this board for me.. too bad because there is some great info on here

I am really sorry but how can you say that.. Some may trash their clients nails but I really think you are being a little harsh here.. Unless you have seen the nails of the techs you are saying basically are just ruining the nail business in general how can you judge..

I think this will be my last post here unfortunatly .. way to judgemental on this board for me.. too bad because there is some great info on here

Dont leave hun.....sometimes we put stuff and it comes across as nasty ...but it is not......your right ...great info on here and you will miss it.!!!!!...............this forum can be like a text and you THINK someone is nasty when they aint......give it time ....you will get use to us !! xxxxxxx

I take it thats a dig at me? as im the only one that said i had done a 1 day wax course!

I'll tell you why i did a one day course in waxing. I had been working in the salon 8 months, ide stood in on waxing treatments, even did some waxing on clients who was kind enough to allow me to. As quoted by many "If you dont try you will never learn"
In those 8 months i learned so much and that stood me in good stead for my course. I knew every question in the theory test and my verbal comunication was spot on also.
Infact i was faster and better at waxing than the girl teaching me, so call it double standards if you like but i knew that the course i booked was the right one for me and there was no point booking one over a longer period of time.

It was not a dig at you as I had not read your post, I must have missed it whilst reading the thread. It was not aimed at anyone in particular, it is just my opinion which I stand by.

I really don't think anyone is having a dig at anyone, people are just voicing their opinions,
Is it not better to pay that bit extra and get the proper training as in the long run it will actually save you money, I did my very first course on a Sat&Sun it didn't cost me much but the amount of information I had to digest plus the practical was insane I did pass the course, but after a while I did not think it was good enough. So I paid quite a bit for another course through a different company and the difference it made was well worth it. Since then I have done three other courses and about to book my last course for silk wrap&fiberglass, OK it is going to cost me but I know that at the end of it I will be competent in doing it.

Why don't you read my post again?

Nowhere in that post did I say anything against short courses. My post was about bad nail technicians (whatever the length of course they do). If you are not one of them then why take it personally?

Well now I wouldn't stop anyone from taking any kind of course, no matter what the length. However I think it is wrong of people to think that after a couple of days it means they are qualified and can call themselves a nail tech. And I back this up to any kind of course. For example I took a one day course in facials. Of course I knew that it wouldn't make me great at doing facials, but it gave me the basics to work on. I read and read and practised and asked clients for feedback and keep striving to get better. It was the same with nails. I don;t think I felt truly competent until after about 2 years and that was doing them full time, day in day out ... never mind the odd set as a hobby.

However (and I have done a thread on this some time ago) I think some of the onus is on the suppliers. You know - do a 1 nail course and earn £100's a day. No wonder people are misled that they can do it.

I aggree. I did a one day course at a place called Top Talons in Chesterfield. I came out and didn't feel like I had learned a thing. I have since gone on L&P and gel courses with Magnetic and NSI so that I could become a better nail tech. I feel that I wasted my money going on the one day course because I went on the others anyway. If I could turn back time I would have saved myself the money and gone straight to NSI!

i think its a bit unfair to say that the short courses are bad and make you an incompetent nail tech. i did a similar nail course and did as much research as possible and practised on every pair of hands i could get hold of!
i didn't go into it thinking about making a quick buck i wanted to further my career and set up a company. i feel confident that i do the best of my ability. also happy customers!!!:)

i think its a bit unfair to say that the short courses are bad and make you an incompetent nail tech. i did a similar nail course and did as much research as possible and practised on every pair of hands i could get hold of!
i didn't go into it thinking about making a quick buck i wanted to further my career and set up a company. i feel confident that i do the best of my ability. also happy customers!!!:)

It isn't the short course that made you a competent tech ... it was the practise that you put in and the research etc (which most newbies do not do) but, if all you did was a 2 day course then you have a long way to go to become an expert of course, I'm sure you would admit that?!

There is allot more to being competent than just the doing ... you need to be competent at the knowing and that takes life-long-learning and a small amount of humility to admit that you do not now, nor will ever know it all or be perfect at every set of nails.

There are plenty of satisfied clients who regularly get bad nail jobs on the cheap which is why the discount salons do so well. A few 'happy' clients is no proof of excellence as we see every day here on the site.

Last edited:
sadly nowadays alot of customers want nails done as cheap as possible.

i had somebody saying a few days ago that she wanted to find a good nail tech as she was fed up of all the bad places she went to.

i told her i did nails. told her my prices (which i dont think are expensive, and i should probably charge more!!), then got told it was too expensive!! i just thought well you get what you pay and laughed that she was complaining!!

I totally agree,, I am paying £12,000 for my 3yr degree,(psychology) and in them 3 yrs will get no return, I know at the end of them three yrs it will take a long slog to get this money back, but will be worth it. I now understand that the nail industry takes alot of hard work and traing to get to a good level,, yes it may take a few weeks to train,, but yrs (like doing a degree) to be qualified properly, and have a deep unerstanding about nails. It annoys me when people say,,'I could do that',,,,,lol but hey that's life

xxx kate

Latest posts

Back