Is it a bad time to open a salon now?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

july

Reaction score
Hi, guys, I've put an offer on a shop and it hass been accepted. I thrilled and excitated but my husband keeps on being negative and tries to put me off...
Is 2009 a bad time to open a salon?
I'm already working from home and have a nice client's base. I feel it's time to move forward and this would eb the opportunity. surely you can't work forever from home -can you? I'm fed up with being nervous if my little one will cry while I'm doing a facial or he'll come and push the door while I'm doing a brazilian.
What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks

Jules

i opened my salon last september hun and i had the same response from everyone around me about how it wasnt the right time to do it. I already like you had a client base from home so it was a start. As long as you are determind to make it work i would say go for it. Is there alot of competition local to you? And remember to advertise advertise advertise!!! I done leaflet drops, advert in the local paper, called all the local schools as some of them have advertising sheets that go out monthly to the parents which is ideal to get the mums in whilst children are at school. I also started off doing an offer to my regular clients that if they introduced a friend they got money off their next treatment. My first 2 months were steady had a couple of days with no clients:cry: but then christmas started coming and i have been back to back with clients most days ever since seems like its still christmas at the mo.
good luck hun:hug:

A lot of techs here do really well with their home salon but its not for everyone. If you think you can manage with your current clients then go for it. Just make sure you are ready and have had some financial advice. Good luck x

Hi,
I do feel it is a more restricted time to set up than previous years - but - you already have clients at home. Will they follow you?
Is there much competition, or do you offer things others don't?
Is it a big financial commitment, or quite manageable? Are the start up costs excessive, or can you just transfer over the equipment/stock you have at home?
Is your husbands job safe?
Is it a short lease in case things don't work out?
Will you have to work more hours in a shop (eg be open all the time for reception)? People expect shops to be open 6 days a week - otherwise shops don't look busy and can lose new business due to this.
I do understand where you are coming from by feeling slightly uneasy at times worrying if children will make a noise. I rent a room - I would like my own shop but can't afford a receptionist and I am not tied to being there all the opening hours as the hairdressers can take my calls for me when needed.
I would say if its not too far out of reach (financially and working hours), and given if you could opt out if need be without being too much out of pocket then give it a go. Its a learning curve, like dipping your toe in the water, then dipping a bit more, but know you can take your foot out if needs be.
Hope this has helped a bit. Best wishes.
JES x

Hey,
Its never a good time to start a new business. Then again, it never a bad time. I think you will feel overwhelmed by your salon to start with but keep at it and you'll do fine. When i started my salon, the first year, i had the feeling i was drowning. There is so much to learn and do with a salon as oppose to a home salon. I find the real shift is that you have to take it more seriously and treat it like a business, market it like a business and let it grow. Always think outside the box when you are marketing, and even with quiet days, don't take it personally; just power through and you will do brilliantly.

can you get someone else in to help with the rent? and help with appointments?

This is a question i was discussing with my mum a few days ago. People think oh no it would be an awful time to open up a salon but really i dont think it would be because obviously buying would be cheaper than it was.

You would have to bust your guts to advertise and make your salon very attractive to attract customers in. As you already have a good client base thats a very good start.

But also it audapends on your competition around your area?

x

Ive opened 4 weeks ago...moved from rent-a-room....

Still having a few slow days ....

I put all my takings into an envelope and until i have enough to cover absolutley everything (worked out a weekly budget)....Only then do i take any money....

My O/H has been made redundant (same week as i opened), its very hard but im here for the longhaul....

Remember life is short...dont regret the things you dont do....

Good luck xx

Go for it I say. I think the businesses that don't work out are due to poor advertising/planning, rubbish customer care/service and poor motivation.
Be enthusiastic and determined and get out there.

Good luck with it you must be really excited.

P.s - We never learn in life if we dont go for what we want!
xxx

Hey, I just opened my salon last December and as long as your willing to put in the hours, I think you will be fine. Till now we do have the odd day where we are not busy, but at the moment we make it up on the weekends. Have you got any competition where you are based? Are you on a main road? Location really helps.

When I told everyone that I was opening a salon, I received the same response. What is good is that you have your clients, which I didn't. A lot of advertising is needed. And what you have to remember is that at times like this people may not be able to afford expensive holidays, however still want to treat themselves.

Good luck, let me know how it goes xx

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. There is a hairdresser with beauty a couple of doors down from this shop -but I drove there on Saturday and they were close!!! :cry: They mainly do hair, I think. They also have Dermalogica -bit weird as I'll be having Dermalogice as well.
Well, the shop is quite small, mainly a room, but I will put a soundproof partition wall for the treatment room and the rest will be a nail desk and reception. It has one small toilet with sink.
It was on the market for £150 per week but they've accepted my offer of £135. The area is quite good, next to University, Maternity and students accomodation.
I'm very enthusiastic about it and I'm gonna put 120% into it but i can't help feeling down after talking with my husband. His job is quite secure but he's so negative -he's the type who worries a lot.
Also, one thing I'm wondering is how do you guys manage the reception when in treatment? So, i'm in there doing a treatment and my next appointment comes earlier. They'll have to wait outside, won't they?
Also, where to you put the money? In a cash register? in your pocket?

Thanks
Jules

If you have competition, the main thing is for your business to maintain it's integrity - don't go getting into price wars, slating the other business etc as these are counter-productive! Identify your clients, identify your business philosophy & stay true to these things and with lots of effort you'll do well!

Regarding reception, either get a friend, relative or work experience student with time on their hands to help out at the busy times or put a notice on the door & make sure you book a buffer between clients, which is what I do. I have a second hand cash till for my money - you can get them off e-bay normally, but they're not essential - you could get a safe box instead.

Have you thought about renting out your rooms when you're not using them? I rent mine out on my days off, which gives a regular bit of extra income. I rent mine out to therapists who offer different treatments so they don't tread on my toes, and that way they bring in new people who get to see your service. I have a chiropractor & podiatrist, which also allows us to cross-recommend each other.

Use a treatment in progress sign on the door and get a door bell....thats what im using at the moment...

A sat girl helps cause sats usuallly the busiest day for me xx

Hi, thank you so much for your reply. There is a hairdresser with beauty a couple of doors down from this shop -but I drove there on Saturday and they were close!!! :cry: They mainly do hair, I think. They also have Dermalogica -bit weird as I'll be having Dermalogice as well.
Well, the shop is quite small, mainly a room, but I will put a soundproof partition wall for the treatment room and the rest will be a nail desk and reception. It has one small toilet with sink.
It was on the market for £150 per week but they've accepted my offer of £135. The area is quite good, next to University, Maternity and students accomodation.
I'm very enthusiastic about it and I'm gonna put 120% into it but i can't help feeling down after talking with my husband. His job is quite secure but he's so negative -he's the type who worries a lot.
Also, one thing I'm wondering is how do you guys manage the reception when in treatment? So, i'm in there doing a treatment and my next appointment comes earlier. They'll have to wait outside, won't they?
Also, where to you put the money? In a cash register? in your pocket?

Thanks
Jules

Hi Jules, 135.00 a week i think is pretty good price. For reception i would suggest for you to hire someone (perhaps a family member or close friend) I wouldnt suggest to put the money into your pocket as it may fall out etc.. You can buy a little money box that you can lock.

Ithink you should go for it because you seem to have so much ambition and passion for this. And if you have that then your sure to do well.

x

You will need someone to help in reception. If you were just doing nails then at least you can see who comes in and in the same way they will be able to see that you are with a client.
Also you cant take new appoitments while you are already in the middle of someone elses.
Best bet is to get someone in. Possibly a student of beauty so that can get experience and a reference.
Good luck and let us know ho you get on.

:hug:Nail_baby:hug:

Have you found out how much your business rates will be as they could be quite steep in town, phone, water electric etc?
Good luck hun!

Hi Hun

I just want to say to you good Luck... hope all your dreams come true... give it 200% ang you cant fail.... xxx

Like others have said i don't think there is ever a good/bad time to open a business.

You already have a client base which is good as you know most (hopefully all will follow you into town) but how much will you have to increase your prices to cover your overheads ?

I only rent a room within a hair salon but the amount of bills the salon owner gets really puts into prospective the amount you need to earn just to break even, its not just electric, water, telephone, business rates etc you even have to pay to get your rubbish collected !

I would also be very wary about setting up with Dermalogica if the salon on the same road already has it, its one thing to have a few salons in the same town but if someone opened up on my road and started selling Dermalogica I would hit the roof its the quickest way to get someones back up in my opinion. jmho

I would also be very wary about setting up with Dermalogica if the salon on the same road already has it, its one thing to have a few salons in the same town but if someone opened up on my road and started selling Dermalogica I would hit the roof its the quickest way to get someones back up in my opinion. jmho

I agree here - and to be honest it's best to have a point of difference, there's only so many slices in one cake! There are so many exciting skincare ranges out there it would be a shame to go for the same one!

Thanks all.
I'm already with Dermalogica -I'm not going to invest another £3k to change the skincare (which I adore!!!) -surely there is market for both of us?! There are many Tesco's next to Sainsbury's and they all seem to do well.
Cathie -the rates are £1300 per year but apparently the council is considering scraping off the rates from April for 1 year to help small businesses.
Jules

Latest posts

Back