Livid! How can someone teach or pass NVQ student like this?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammiG

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have to get this off my chest.

I have just been asked by a salon owner to give a nail tech some one to one in sculpting and smile lines as she was having difficultly in these areas. She has the NVQ2 and 3 from a local college and qualified a year ago. All her certificates are up in the salon.

The salon owner only does gels and has trained with a well known brand.

First of all, I asked the nail tech to do a nail on the model as if it was a client and we could find out exactly what she was having difficulty with.

Well......

NO sanitizer!

No dehydrator - she says they don't use it as this salon?!

full well tips which she clearly did not know how to properly use or safely blend. She tried to cut the well off in a straight line with scissors then blend across nail with a coarse file.

NO knowledge of BASIC nail anatomy - didn't know what a lunula / eponychium etc was.

Primer was put on nail using an old GEL BRUSH that splayed out everywhere.

L&P was put on so wet, that she was wiping it off rather than putting it on!

She did not know how to fit a form and it looked like a ski slope.

Doesn't know anything about extending nail beds or what a cover pink powder is.

I have to start right from the beginning with her and can't help thinking the past 2 years have been a complete waste for her. She's not slow or anything.

My question is - HOW DID SOMEONE PASS HER or HOW CAN SOMEONE TEACH NVQ and teach that rubbish!!
The sad thing is, the tutor at her college uses NSI products for the students. If the tutor is this bad or passed the students before they are ready, how does this reflect on Nsi?

Aaaaaaagghhhhhhhh!!!

Sam xx

Last edited:
That is really disgusting, how did she pass ?? lvl 3 aswell ??? I'm only just coming to the end of my course, doing makeup at the moment :irked: but even I know loads more than your colleague (sp?) its a real shame, all that money she spent too?, well lets hope she will do better under your guidence, sounds like you've got your work cut out there, good luck n all, the poor girl, bet she feels awful :hug:

I have a level 3 beauty student come & help out in my salon and she told me that they only get a couple of afternoons on L&P.....no rebalancing or particular skill building...no nail trainers just shown & do on each other....with no idea of how to deal with faults etc

Although this particular college has failed a couple of students as the work is clearly not good enough and certainly not salon standard.

I really feel for these girls...

I think its the way the timetables are set out..... there is no where near enough time to get to grips with all of the nails & beauty.....

That's really sad, love

She is lucky to have someone like you who is willing to help her. I am sure, with your help, she will show a HUGE improvement really quickly.

What you are doing is great - kudos to you

Ohhh this really makes me cross. I teach nails as well as other things and the number of times I come across this is amazing. The thing is I also know salons that cut corners giving products and themselves bad reps. Some fast track courses lol (2 days) to learn 4 systems are even selling 99p lamps from China at £28.00. They charge hundreds of pounds, sell cheap kits and products and brushes like a fox tail there is no wonder people give up.

I am a mobile teacher, but honestly can say I give good after support. I make students work and even though I can offer fast track I would always make sure the paperwork is completed before issuing any Diploma. My courses are accredited by the Beautyguild.com Its about time these rogue trainers were hunted down and named and shamed. Lol well thats my rant over:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently undertaking an NVQ2 at college in Nails Services.

The first part of my course was taken by my tutor who is herself a Nail Tech and had own salon for years and has been the best tutor I have ever had and I have had a few nail teachers! She is knowledgeable, exceptional, supportive and has very high standards herself. I could not rate her highly enough.

However due to poor health she has gone off on long term sick leave and wont be returning this year. So we have had 3 supply teachers, all of whom have not done acrylics themselves let along teach it. In fact as i have already qualified in Acrylic Nail Enhancement with a private educator and again with Creative I have ended up teaching practical application to my class on three occasions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT, get this, we will all pass. Because the college wont admit they have failed us by providing a teacher. Im gonna stick my neck out a bit and admit that I am the only one who should pass. Its no disrespect to my fellow leaners but they are behind and simply dont have the skills to do acrylic nails because they have been let down.

Disgusting quite frankly and it bothers me so much I plan on teaching this course next year!

That doesn't surprise me at all.

The same girl said that they didn't have a teacher for the second half of the makeup unit, but they passed them all anyway. She now has a certificate but can't possibly do it!

It's so sad that so many people are campaigning to get a national / global standard in nails and in certain boroughs in London, you have to have, or be working towards NVQ or equivalent, whereas (in my opinion) a good brand qualification can be worth so much more!

I have done many brand courses, and an NVQ.. I paid £600 for the NVQ a good few years ago and can honestly say, it was a complete waste of money. I should have used the money for a good brand course, then paid the £50 or so for each of the NVQ assessments that I wanted. When I did mine, there were 30 people in the class - products that i would now never use (another £200) ... then to top it off, I had to spend more money to take one to one education from a brand as I was rubbish at sculpting after I 'qualified'.

I am definitely not saying that the NVQ is a waste of time as I am sure there are many fantastic colleges out there and great tutors. The thing is, that when a lot of people start out in nails, they are not aware of what is out there. It's just so frustrating.

Sam xx

I'm really not suprised came out of my nvq with loads of false confidence, thought I new what I was doing lol:lol: But have spent ages scouring this site reading books and mags and have took extra training, I'm not saying that NVQ is not worth it but i did one night (3hrs) a week for a year and was no where near at a good enough standard, I didn't know how to blend a tip properly my idea of an apex left a lot to be desired and have got by sculpting but have recently had some really good teaching via CND merseyside and am starting to gain my confidence back !

any chance they could be fake certificates and shes just trying to blag her way with half ok nail extensions at discount price maybe?

any chance they could be fake certificates and shes just trying to blag her way with half ok nail extensions at discount price maybe?

I suppose that is a possibility, but this same old story gets repeated so often that I'm afraid there is no smoke without fire.

With rare exceptions, college training is abysmal because the trainers are pants at what they do. Allot of colleges will take just about anyone to teach as long as they can take the course fees. Unless you know of a college with a really good trainer for nails, then company training is the best way to go IF they have a good reputation.

Check out your training provider ... would you hand over hundreds of pounds for anything else without a good recommendation to buy it? Why do so many pay so much for such crapola without checking things out?

Even cheap education costs you dearly as you get nothing out of it so if you are going to pay then get it RIGHT from the start and go to a reputable provider.

The sad thing is though, here in Denmark I know for a fact that CND has tried so hard to teach the new tutors that are going to start on out schools soon. But the people going to teach nails wasn't interested, they didn't wanna train and one lady hadn't done any nails prior to her exam. By the way this isn't ambassador exams as far as I'm concerned (I actually thought this in the beginning and was a bit annoyed and afraid of the quality of education in CND, but think I was wrong on that one)

They probably shouldn't all have been tutors or probably shouldn't have passed their course ( I don't think it's a normal cnd course), BUT theres no choice is there? If CND had said no, they would have taken on another company with crappy products and less knowledge. This way they tried so hard to make these people learn, and at least they learned the right things regarding theory, but their nails was crap.

I bet CND here in Denmark is going to have a close eye on these new tutors, and maby they are actually going to be censors (sp?) at the exams. But they just cannot win can they, if they refuse they know that really crappy techs is going to be let loose.

I think they chose to teach and pass (remember theres no laws regulating and therefore no rules of what the tutors, who was already teaching at these schools, should learn) to ensure the stundents use one of the best brands in the world, and by using it probably will seek out more information and therefore move on to do some more training in time.

Maby this is what happend at the beginning in Uk aswell.
I wouldn't like to choose in a situation like that, but it explains why some of the great products are being used...
At least I think CND here is trying hard, but with tutors already picked out by someone else, theres only so much you can do.
And I for one believe they chose the right thing, this way they can do something not just stay passive. (sorry for rambeling on)

Last edited:
Unfortunetly things are not going to change anytime soon, schools have a demand for classes. They either cant afford to pay someone decent or cant find anyone, they use any old a teacher who has a slight interest (money motivates) and bobs your uncle you get a piece of paper not worth its salt and the school take no responcibility. It has happened to my students and I have recently left a school as they werent interested in being any better. I would rec that you advise this girl to enquire about getting her money back, if not she should take it further with the NVQ board. I taught ITEC and now I dont believe in it as over here every other school is running the lecturers course as its big business and you dont even need a days experience to become a teacher.

Well I'm afraid I have absolutely no confidence in college beauty courses. My make up course, we had a very good tutor so I did learn alot about make up, but on the last day my friend went in to collect her portfolio, and low and behold there were a couple of girls who'd skiived off most of the year, doing beauty assessments to qualify in those aspects. This made a mockery of all of us who worked hard.

Then on my current course (NVQ2 beauty therapy) during enrichment week I refused, but several of the people in my class had nail enhancements done by the level 3's. They came through when completed, some taking 2 1/2 hours to do, and most of them had what can only be described as cheese wedges. Guess what? They all passed their assessments!

On my course, our make-up lessons have been a shambles. I'm lucky as I already know how to do it, but I did start out explaining to the class what to do, how to apply say concealer, colours to use where, etc etc, then I suddenly stopped myself, as I should NOT have to do this. The tutor is getting paid good money to teach, but is not doing ANY demonstrations, then is wondering why people are getting things wrong. No-one's even been told how to match up foundation to the skin:eek:. Also, as another example, my 1 day waxing course at Capital taught me more about waxing than I've learned at college. Yet when I went for the interview at college, they laughed at my waxing certificate and said I'd definitely have to learn more than that could teach me!

The only reason I did the NVQ2 was because although I've already completed most of the units, I didn't hold a certificate for pedicure or for facials. I also noticed in this area that all the private/company training I've had doesn't seem to be worth anything when it comes to getting a job - everyone wants NVQ qualifications, so I decided to do this course just for those 3 aspects. I certainly won't be doing level 3 there. If I do it I'll go somewhere like Carlton institute, put the work in for myself and get the qualification that way.

I intend one day owning my own salon, but when I come to employing new people, I certainly won't be asking specifically for NVQ's, I'll be looking at the person as a whole, and company training will be up there in my search for skills.

(just read this back and boy don't I waffle:green: What I'm trying to say is I definitely have no respect for college courses after personal experience:mad:)

Sadly us salon owners have been saying all this for ages. to pass an nvq in nails, hair or beauty you only need to have performed the service once. NOT performed it well, or safely, or competantly. Colleges get payments for passing people. The colleges dont give a toss if you fall down at your first trade test or wreck someones nails or hair.
Hopefully you will get this girl up and running properly.

it does not surprise me in the slightest. I was trained in various beauty treatments and nails and the hair raising stories i could tell you about my training would make your hair curl.
I re paid for proper training and got retrained again. it was expensive and time consuming but so worth it!

I cant imagine though the mess I would be in if i had not done that and its almost criminal that there are some trainers out there who 'train' the way they do. SHOCKING!!!!

I understand some of the experiences some people have had with community colleges, but goodness me! There have been some rather sweeping statements made on this thread. Remember ladies, to be professional and expect professional respect, we must act in a professional way.

We are professionals. I have 8 city and guild qualifications plus babtac plus too many brand and commercial courses to list here. I own a chain of salons and employ 14 stylists and therapists. I think that qualifies me to comment.
There are MASSIVE problems in the colleges. Most courses are not fit for purpose and most of the teachers I come across would not be employable in my salons.
Until we admit that there are problems with the training and NVQ's in our industry then nothing will improve.
Too many people are qualifying only to find that they are not good enough to find a job. That is a terrible betrayal of their naive belief that they have been trained to do a job that they really want to do.
Maybe we, as an industry should tell the truth, you can't be a nail tech after a couple of days, you need more than 6 months to be a hairdresser and a "fast track" beauty course will get you laughed out of an interview.
Thats my two penneth worth x

what was her NVQ 3 in??? before i can answer the question fully i need to know this.. ( the level 2 in nails is a diploma not an nvq)

I have no idea how the nail anatomy has escaped her, its standard theory and evidence MUST be provided before they pass in more than one place..

Unless she has done NVQ 3 in nail services for a full year, she wouldnt have any idea how to camoflage, , extend nailbeds or smile lines even- its not taught in the level 2 diploma..

so unless shes done these specific courses she may be blagging it.. students are ALWAYS taught to sanitise etc at college no matter what the treatment, when they leave the fold, they do what they want as they aint being supervised..

So, if she DOES hold these qualifications, id suggest 2 things- 1 being the college needs serious investigation and 2- bear in mind this- the difference between college students and private education is vast- not all students are sponges and hungry to learn and the academic and practical develpment is not always there- BUT thats what we do- differentiate the learning... I love the thirst of people who have paid to go on courses.. its inspiring but they have paid GOOD money for that course and are dertermined to get the most from it.. eg in my college " rachel im sorry i missed last week, i couldnt get a space in the car park"

So what im saying is she MAY have been taught these methods but may not put or can not out them into practice.. do you think i taught this ?

Question on a nail theory test : Give 4 pieces of aftercare advice for nail enhancements..

Answer: Do not go Horse riding

yes.. its murder for ya nails and technically not wrong.. but i sure as hell wasnt looking for that answer...

I love my students.. god bless some struggle and some have difficulty reading and writing.. i teach it, they learn it- to what standard they produce nails is up to them with practice.. One big thing ive learned is only a few are natural nail technicians and only the elite make it.. so before you blame the college.. check out the facts in depth..

We are professionals. I have 8 city and guild qualifications plus babtac plus too many brand and commercial courses to list here. I own a chain of salons and employ 14 stylists and therapists. I think that qualifies me to comment.

Of course it qualifies you to comment. This is an open forum and it's my understanding that everyone is qualified to comment no matter what their credentials.

I do understand that some people have had bad experiences with colleges, but some people have had bad experiences with private colleges, 1-1 training, company training etc. etc. also.

All I was trying to say was that people cannot make such huge general assumptions about colleges. Some are good, some are bad, in the main it depends on the lecturer and department of each individual college. Assuming every college in the country is bad is unprofessional; saying college tutors are pants is shockingly unprofessional!

That's all!

im defo not pants..and im a college lecturer.. im also a nail tech in my own busy salon..what do have to do before people on here take the NVQ level 3 nail services seriously?

Has anyone considered that maybe in colleges, the tutors teaching nails are beauty birds because not enough SKILLEd nail techs put themselves forward into the public teaching sector..? the pay is bloody good you know- or is " nail snobbery" holding you back..?

The standard at the world skills challenge this year was amazing so we cant be that pants..i am sick of arguing this point on here..i might give up

Latest posts

Back