Minx?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs Geek's toes are natural nails & I think I read they lasted 5 weeks...... I'll go and check that out now!

yes i know, but i was wondering about fingernails, polish lasts ages on toes too.

Hello there

I've been using Minx since June now and I'm a hugh fan. They are quite straightforward to apply but like everything require practise to master and the effect is simply stunning. The designs are numerous and very elegant and achieve a look that cannot be replicated with polish. People cannot fail to notice them, they really do become a talking point.

The first client that I applied them to (who was wearing the Gold Lightening Chromes) reported back that she kept getting asked by complete strangers where had she got her nails done and what did she have on her nails. She said that the attention was quite addictive. I'm wearing them myself at the moment and I have also found that they draw attention, which really helps sell the service to new and existing clients.

In answer to the question re longevity on fingers, I'm finding that they are lasting approx one week looking perfect and after that some shrinkage is noticed at the free edge. Having said that this is only really noticeable on close inspection. Obviously clients have to look after them by wearing gloves when washing up etc. I personally think that Minx should be sold to clients as a fashion accessorie rather than on how long it lasts but they will find that the results are long lasting, durable and very pleasing into the bargin.

Another great selling point of Minx is that there is NO drying time so clients can put their shoes/sandles on immediately and don't have to worry about smudging or chipping their nails.

Please some one tell me if i can get them in australia yet?.. or do i have to get them from the UK:.... ta mel

OK ... these are not bad but the trick is to lay down at the cuticle and then s.t.r.e.t.c.h them down the middle and over and under the free edge. Then use your thumbs from the middle to each side wall starting at th eponychium and working toward the free edge. They shoud be absolutely smooth like the picture of Mrs Geeks toes that I did.
Then you need the glass Minx file (or any glass file) to file the free edge and free the excess.

Your free edges need trimming properly. Certainly you do not want any overhanging material which will bug the hell out of you and shorten the life of the Minx veneer. Normal files shred the ends and do not work as well as a glass file. The finer the grit the better if you don't have a Minx file but I have tried them all and the glass file works best.

Finally ... you can use a hair drier to warm up the Minx or another non direct heat source but an infra red lamp works best. We are working on getting a lamp which will be very reasonable. I got mine from Ellisons but it is pricey but infrared is quite the best thing to use if the truth be told.

Wish I'd had this beforehand...I searched high and low for instructions, but couldn't find anywhere, and although I did get them from S2, they didn't have any insrtructions with them. Thankfully I did purchse the Minx file, and would definitely say its better than normal files, as I tried a normal one just to see the difference.

I think they will also be easier to apply on other people than yourself! My Toes were way easier for me to apply than my fingernails. I actually 'killed' one veneer by overstretching it, which made me a bit nervous for the rest! Anyhow, they certainly got me two new clients last night alone, so they work as an eye-catcher, and have already sealed a place on my service menu!

Can't wait until we have some UK marketing material for them either! And very much looking forward to seeing them done by 'pro's' in October.

Gigi, a quick question for you.....I'm nervous of applying solar oil in my usual way.....will it be ok? I know oil can break down adhesives used on some films and vinyls in other industries but hopefully not with these?

Wish I'd had this beforehand...I searched high and low for instructions, but couldn't find anywhere, and although I did get them from S2, they didn't have any insrtructions with them. Thankfully I did purchse the Minx file, and would definitely say its better than normal files, as I tried a normal one just to see the difference.

I think they will also be easier to apply on other people than yourself! My Toes were way easier for me to apply than my fingernails. I actually 'killed' one veneer by overstretching it, which made me a bit nervous for the rest! Anyhow, they certainly got me two new clients last night alone, so they work as an eye-catcher, and have already sealed a place on my service menu!

Can't wait until we have some UK marketing material for them either! And very much looking forward to seeing them done by 'pro's' in October.

Gigi, a quick question for you.....I'm nervous of applying solar oil in my usual way.....will it be ok? I know oil can break down adhesives used on some films and vinyls in other industries but hopefully not with these?

Lynsey I have Golden Lightening on my toes and use SolarOil every day. I asked the Minx girls in the US and they too use and recommend SolarOil so no problems! With a tan the gold looks amazing!

Lynsey I have Golden Lightening on my toes and use SolarOil every day. I asked the Minx girls in the US and they too use and recommend SolarOil so no problems! With a tan the gold looks amazing!

Great! I know all this stuff info will be available soon enough...I'm just an impatient little minx! :lol:!

By the way Samantha....can't fault the girls on the order desk again....superb as always! It really is a pleasure dealing with S2. I know I was jumping the gun by ordering before all the info on Minx was completely available, but they really do go above and beyond to help!

Great! I know all this stuff info will be available soon enough...I'm just an impatient little minx! :lol:!

By the way Samantha....can't fault the girls on the order desk again....superb as always! It really is a pleasure dealing with S2. I know I was jumping the gun by ordering before all the info on Minx was completely available, but they really do go above and beyond to help!

Couldn't agree with you more Lyndsay, they always have an answer to any of my questions - and as anyone will tell you I always have questions:lol:

Samantha (Mrs Geek) and me were Minx'd by Gigi this afternoon :green: I have to get some of them, they're going to go down a storm here. I'll take some pics tomorrow and add them to the thread.

Are the minx files also glass files ?
Yep, they're glass files.
The sensation on my toenails was no different to a regular abrasive, apart from it feeling smoother IYKWIM

Thankyou Sandi....I really really can't use those glass files..reeeeallly ...
I have once had a , Just a feel of one, and it made me shudder...the thought of it just go's right through me...
Ooooo what am I gunna do ! (I'm sure its not the end of the world lol)

Here's a pic of my tootsies :D

picture.php

Blingarama, I love them :green:

They are beautiful - I want some NOW:lol:

Those gold toes look GORGEOUS!!

Can't wait to get some minx ordered but also been thinking bout a way around the lamp situation. I've had a look on the net and found this: Exo Terra Heat Glo Infrared Heat Lamp 150W - SHOP.COM UK do you think this is any good or not - very cheap which is a bonus!

Thanks
Louise

Hi Lou

I've just looked at the link for the lamp. I been looking for a lamp for a while now with little success. From the info shown it looks like it is just the bulb so you need a lamp stand to house it in. Most lamps carry a max of a 100watt bulb so it would be dangerous to put a stronger bulb in. Also I have found that the infra red bulbs are quite large so you need to find a lamp with a really big shade so there is some space around the bulb. Sweet Squared have advised me that they are in the process of sourcing a heat lamp so I think it would be worth holding out for one.

At the moment I'm using a hairdryer and this is effective as a heat source but is noisy, doesn't look particularly professional and can send the Minx nails flying but is a good intrim solution.

Hi Lou

I've just looked at the link for the lamp. I been looking for a lamp for a while now with little success. From the info shown it looks like it is just the bulb so you need a lamp stand to house it in. Most lamps carry a max of a 100watt bulb so it would be dangerous to put a stronger bulb in. Also I have found that the infra red bulbs are quite large so you need to find a lamp with a really big shade so there is some space around the bulb. Sweet Squared have advised me that they are in the process of sourcing a heat lamp so I think it would be worth holding out for one.

At the moment I'm using a hairdryer and this is effective as a heat source but is noisy, doesn't look particularly professional and can send the Minx nails flying but is a good intrim solution.

Thanks Helen - i'll just have to be patient and hang on then lol. Ordered some Minx this morning can't wait for them to come!!

Louise

Helen is totally right in regards to the lamp. Infra red needs 150-250 bulb. We got one at 79.99 from Ellisons which attaches to your desk and can be used perfectly but it IS expansive and we have been trying to sorce one so that we could offer the lamp, Minx and files etc for under 60.00 or there abouts.

All I will say is (right now)... if you can find a ´proper´infra red lamp with 150 bulb up... get it. This is waht makes them work brillianly. I have found a little one which we love and perfect price point but it has one draw back which we are working on! :!:

Next week this should be resolved but it honestly doesn´t stop you guys from sourcing your own if you want to! :hug:

Samantha,
I am in Oz.... can you send them to me?... how much are they in UK$.. you prob can't post here but if you could pm me.. we are a little slow down under and my supplier has never heard of them ( no suprise there).
and the pop its too please ( a little off subject sorry)
Ta Mel

How long would you need to warm them up for after you've applied them and trimmed with the glass file??

I've just done one hand and zapped each one as I did it - got silver lighteneing today from S2 and couldn't wait to have a go!
I used a steel emery board (old dodgy one I found in my dressing table - can't beleive I've allowed it to stay in the house!) for now just to trim the ends....need the glass one though.
I know they are way from perfect, but it's gotta start somewhere!

Attachments

• My 1st Minx attempt 1.jpg
    My 1st Minx attempt 1.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 204
  • My 1st Minx attempt 2.jpg
    My 1st Minx attempt 2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 189
How long would you need to warm them up for after you've applied them and trimmed with the glass file??

I've just done one hand and zapped each one as I did it - got silver lighteneing today from S2 and couldn't wait to have a go!
I used a steel emery board (old dodgy one I found in my dressing table - can't beleive I've allowed it to stay in the house!) for now just to trim the ends....need the glass one though.
I know they are way from perfect, but it's gotta start somewhere!

To answer your first question ... just a few seconds.

When using Minx ... the better the surface they go on the better they look particularly where the silver nd gold is concerned as they show up every flaw of the nail surface beneath the veneer. These have been placed a tad too close to the skin and not stretched on as there are too many kinks showing. Not easy to do on your own fingernails. Easy on your own toes though. :hug:

Latest posts

Back