Rio - where will they stop?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magsham

Reaction score
Happy sunday geeks.

So here i am having a cuppa and flicking through the Tesco Direct catalogue while i'm waiting for the sunday dinner to cook when i turn to the H&B section and here i find among the other Rio products (that i knew about) a 'Rio Salon Electric File' (complete with sanding bands and what look like diamond drill bits) & 'Salon Laser Hair Removal System' (which boasts the 'lasting benefits of beauty salon technology laser hair removal at home without the expense' )

Where will they stop and what's next on the agenda?

So not only will we be dealing with the NSS's butchering nails it looks like the clients may well be doing the damage themselves too:irked:

Hi
made a,i had a friends mum who went to a salon in her area and had here nails done,when she went back in a few weeks for infills,they used a drill ,she said she could feel it burning her nail plate.she got home and her nails killed.She said when her nails grew they had pink lines where the drill had drilled into her nail plate.they looked bad.she went back to the salon ,but they dont talk english so had no joy.
bad a.xx

I picked up a new Argos catolgue the other day ,they do DIY spray tan kits!!!

Happy sunday geeks.

So here i am having a cuppa and flicking through the Tesco Direct catalogue while i'm waiting for the sunday dinner to cook when i turn to the H&B section and here i find among the other Rio products (that i knew about) a 'Rio Salon Electric File' (complete with sanding bands and what look like diamond drill bits) & 'Salon Laser Hair Removal System' (which boasts the 'lasting benefits of beauty salon technology laser hair removal at home without the expense' )

Where will they stop and what's next on the agenda?

So not only will we be dealing with the NSS's butchering nails it looks like the clients may well be doing the damage themselves too:irked:

Clients have been doing damage to their own nails for years and DIY nails have been around for years too.

Every time you colour your hair at home some hairdresser looses out ... but has it killed the salon trade?? NO. B&Q sells every DIY tool imaginable ... but are carpenters and plumbers out of business? No. You can buy paint and do your own decorating but have decorators become a thing of the past?? NO.

As long as professional services are professional there will be people who want those services and they know the job they get is better than anything they can do at home. STOP worrying about it.

Argos do the spray tanning, electrolysis kits, rio nails the job lot!! I ran out of Creative acrylic the other day and my boyfriends mum overheard me so she got me a rio kit i didnt have the heart to say anything bless her!! it now sits in my wardrobe untouched! hehe!! also about drills, there seems to be more and more of these salons popping up all over using these drills we get lots of ladies who come in the salon having had them done by these people because they are 'cheap'. so we are left to pick up the pieces when it all goes horribly wrong! it really does make me mad! :irked:

Last edited by a moderator:
What is sold in catalogues etc doesn't bother me there is nothing we can do about it and everyone does diy in all sorts.Its usually bad quality rubbish.

What i do mind are the places that do not make it harder to buy professional products ie our wholesalers we have to use.
To my mind no wholesalers should be entertaining any member of the general public and no professional company should be selling to anyone without seeing certificates etc.

It really annoys me when im standing next to someone in the wholesalers and they start asking me what wax strips they should get to wax their friends legs,i dont blame them i blame the companies either they are trade or not.

Its not just in the catalouge, its on the shelves in tesco, its amazing what you can pick up doing your weekly shop now lol. These rio products (and their nail 'enhancements' fall apart or dont really work in the first place anyway so I dont think there's much to worry about x x

The guy who invented Ketchup said :
Its not the sauce on the food that made me rich, its the sauce they leave on the side of the plate.
Rio etc will be around for ever and if I had the sort of money to dabble in stocks and shares these are the sort of company I would buy shares in, because I know that so long as there are women who want to have an artistic out let there will always be a market for these products and that its a renewable market because of how many of these kits end up in the bin.
No I would never sell them, no I would never use them and no I would never ever recomend them but I only know 1 woman who uses these products and they look good and she says that she would never do another persons nails, she just likes to do her own while she watches her soaps. I have seen plenty of women who say, I bought this kit from argos and thought it would be so easy:rolleyes:
Why get upset? As has been said before, do hair dresses get upset about home colour? do they put there prices down because of home colour? no and no.
Do they have a bloody good laugh at the hair disaster that they have to fix
You bet:green:

the people who buy these products,are never going to frequence your business, they are always going to look for the cheapest option, so don't worry about it, you see peeps all over the place with there stick on nails and tiger striped hair, and jaffa orange skin,. there happy,they think they look good. I have a lovely girl who comes in the salon every 8 weeks for a wet cut, she tints her own hair omg she looks like (ronald mcdonald), bless her,:hug:but we cringe as she exits our shop, just in case peeps think we've tinted her hair,lol:cry::)thg

To be honest, I bought a DIY nail kit myself 6 years ago. Of course I made a terrible mess of my nails, and also the carpet and the kitchen table :eek:
However, I was sufficiently intrigued with the concept to book myself onto a Creative course to learn properly, and subsequently got 'hooked' on nails.
I don't advocate the kits at all, but it nudged me in the direction of the career that I now love.

To be honest, I bought a DIY nail kit myself 6 years ago. Of course I made a terrible mess of my nails, and also the carpet and the kitchen table :eek:
However, I was sufficiently intrigued with the concept to book myself onto a Creative course to learn properly, and subsequently got 'hooked' on nails.
I don't advocate the kits at all, but it nudged me in the direction of the career that I now love.

I absolutely agree, this is what happened to me but with acrylic kits from boots - had been doing them for years before i became a tech x

I was in my local Salon Services the other day and they sell Rio products in there. I purchased a Rio gel kit about 4 years ago now and that's what got me started on nails!!

It was the Rio kit that got me interested in nails too. I originally bought it to stop me biting my nails (horrible habit, I know). I quickly found out that the nails didn't last for more than a few days, so decided I would have to go with professional products, and I passed my Ezflow course today!

It was the Rio kit that got me interested in nails too. I originally bought it to stop me biting my nails (horrible habit, I know). I quickly found out that the nails didn't last for more than a few days, so decided I would have to go with professional products, and I passed my Ezflow course today!

Congratulations!

Latest posts

Back