Small dog breeds

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't you look on The Kennel Club. Look for a puppy and you can put in your search area. The site gives loads of tips on what to look for etc. Alternatively, try Epupz.

I pay £25 to have my girls clipped, but if you wanted the dog hand stripped (to give him or her a "proper" coat) it is more expensive.

Hths

X

aww loving the doggie pics yes i'm with bessie on that one the kennel club is the people to point you in the right direction and they give you a list of reputable breeders...scotties,westies,pugs,jack russels all small toy dogs are a favorite with me although i do like the bigger dogs such as dobermans,German shephards and St bernards.

If you go for a Bichon i can help with most things,for other dog's i can't i'm affraid x

I looked after a clients little dog several times while she went on holiday and she was absolutely lovely, and she got on really well with my children who were 7 & 9 at the time. She was a Shih-Tzu (and the added advantage is that they don't moult!) I'll see if I can find a pic, watch this space

I know a couple of people who have Westies who reckon they can be a bit too boisterous with little kids although they have great energy levels!

I have a westie called Louis - I got him from a rescue centre as no one wanted him, he is lovley cheeky and has real spirit. They hardly shed any hair, they are intelligent and can be taughteasily.
Have you thought of looking in the rescue centres there are a lot of poor dogs in those places that could do with some TLC x

My "baby" is a cross between a yorshire terrior and a jack Russel and she is brilliant . I think if you get a dog from a pup its better as they will know the rules.

we have another in the runing now which is a schnoser sorry about spelling

any one have one of these and it must be a miniture

My "baby" is a cross between a yorshire terrior and a jack Russel and she is brilliant . I think if you get a dog from a pup its better as they will know the rules.

I love SJ pics my wee girl was the same a we King Charles spaniel and loved her dearly....... These little boys/girls are very loving pets and good with children.

I do miss my wee one dearly thought I dont think I am ready to have another as i dont think she can be replaced.

Love ya all
T
X

hi i used to work at a vets and i say that little dogs can nip/bite prob more than big dogs?!! put it this way i would sooner have a rotti than some little dogs!!!!!!!!
i have got a 3 yr old and expecting another baby anytime and if i was buying a small dog i would get a cavalier king charles spaniel!!! never came across any nasty ones!!!
westies were always at the vets with skin problems.
bichon dont mault which is good
wouldnt get a yorkie or jack russel
or ANY dog you dont no its history ie a rescue even tho they need a home you need to no the children will be safe!! you should get a puppy from a breeder NOT A PUPPY FARM!be careful out local paper 2!!
i got a labrador and she is soooooooo hairy! but is 99% trust worthy with any child!! but i never trust a dog 100% as everybody has there off days lol xx

dont no if i would get a schnauzer if i was you i didnt come across a child friendly one!! but suppose its how you bring it up its a bit like saying what baby should i pick a boy or a girl which one do you think will sleep through the night????!!!!! lol

dont no if i would get a schnauzer if i was you i didnt come across a child friendly one!! but suppose its how you bring it up its a bit like saying what baby should i pick a boy or a girl which one do you think will sleep through the night????!!!!! lol

:lol: I agree however if you search family dog's online the recomendation wich come up will be the Spaniel as you mentioned and the Bichon. IMO with any dog's it's nature AND nurture :D

toy poodle for me

toy poodle for me

We know you love her,but how are they as family pet's ?

Mum had one as a teenager and she was vile :lol: but generally speaking would you sell one of your puppies to a family ?

Isn't the only trouble with Spaniels that they just absolutely love the exercise? Mind you, could be a get fit quick plan!

Hiya - some westie people love having the dog with the orginal "ball" head and long side skirts, but I prefer mine clipped as they prefer it (much much cooler!) and also it means less grooming and no dirty bottoms if you know what I mean!

I really think that the Westie is a great family dog. They are fantastic to be around, so funny and can walk until you fall over, or just be content to laze around in the garden!

Feel free to ask me any questions as I love them to bits, so much so we are going to start breeding them!
x

I am most definitely with you, I have a westie called Lola and she is absolutely gorgeous and such a cutie. She barks when she needs to and is a brilliant little guard dog, I have a child at three and one at nine and she puts up with hell from the small one (especially when she was a toddler), Lola bless her just runs away from her, she has never ever nipped and would lick you do death rather than anything else and is sooooo loving. Totally off the topic, took her for a good cut last week and her hair is thinning in places, the groomer said its probabaly hormones, which would ring true because I have had to give her a little teddy that she wouldnt leave alone and she mothers it, picks it up so gently in her mouth and carries it around. Someone said it sounds like a phantom pregnancy - am wondering if I should take her to the vets though ?? She eats fine, drinks fine, acts fine - what do you think ???? x:confused:

I am most definitely with you, I have a westie called Lola and she is absolutely gorgeous and such a cutie. She barks when she needs to and is a brilliant little guard dog, I have a child at three and one at nine and she puts up with hell from the small one (especially when she was a toddler), Lola bless her just runs away from her, she has never ever nipped and would lick you do death rather than anything else and is sooooo loving. Totally off the topic, took her for a good cut last week and her hair is thinning in places, the groomer said its probabaly hormones, which would ring true because I have had to give her a little teddy that she wouldnt leave alone and she mothers it, picks it up so gently in her mouth and carries it around. Someone said it sounds like a phantom pregnancy - am wondering if I should take her to the vets though ?? She eats fine, drinks fine, acts fine - what do you think ???? x:confused:

If she is having a phantom,she will nest,the vet can't do anything,is there a chance she could be expecting ?

We know you love her,but how are they as family pet's ?

Mum had one as a teenager and she was vile :lol: but generally speaking would you sell one of your puppies to a family ?

Of course I would, many dogs are a reflection of their owners and how they are brought up.

Many people comment on how obedient my dog is, and I say "thats because I foot her up the ass" .... (obviously I don't, but I am stern with her).

They always say, "you can't do that, she is too cute", these people have disobedient dogs, they have never trained them, nor chastised them .... because they are too cute.

Well, honey, it's just like kids, you let them get away with it, they will manipulate you as much as they can.

It's called a "spoilt dog", or even worse .... a "spoilt kid", there's no point closing the gate when the horse has bolted, you have to train and persist with a puppy from a very young age (no matter how cute it is), otherwise you will end up with a monster thats demands the best of food, chews shoes, eats furniture and craps all over your house ....... this includes dogs with a demanding appetite for fillet steak .... it's "you" who introduced them to fillet steak luv, no point whinging ... my dad always said "if they don't eat it, they ain't hungry enough".

YOU control the behaviour of your dog .....

Here here. Another westie lover here!

I have a 3 year old boy westie and he is the most gorgeous , intelligent and gentlest little dog .
We have just bought (on sunday) a baby westie girl, called Lola and she is 8 weeks old, and sooo cute.
They get on like a house on fire !!
I have 2 kids as well and can wholeheartedly say that Westies are the most lovely natured pooches in my opinion.

If you do go for a westie, you won't go far wrong.:hug:

Elaine xx:hug:

Of course I would, many dogs are a reflection of their owners and how they are brought up.

Many people comment on how obedient my dog is, and I say "thats because I foot her up the ass" .... (obviously I don't, but I am stern with her).

They always say, "you can't do that, she is too cute", these people have disobedient dogs, they have never trained them, nor chastised them .... because they are too cute.

Well, honey, it's just like kids, you let them get away with it, they will manipulate you as much as they can.

It's called a "spoilt dog", or even worse .... a "spoilt kid", there's no point closing the gate when the horse has bolted, you have to train and persist with a puppy from a very young age (no matter how cute it is), otherwise you will end up with a monster thats demands the best of food, chews shoes, eats furniture and craps all over your house ....... this includes dogs with a demanding appetite for fillet steak .... it's "you" who introduced them to fillet steak luv, no point whinging ... my dad always said "if they don't eat it, they ain't hungry enough".

YOU control the behaviour of your dog .....

Thanks x

My personal opinion that both nature and nurture come into play when it comes to dog's.Some are just not family pet's,others are and i agree you have to master your dog from day one,or it will master you,but what i meant was,as a breed and generally speaking is a poodle a good family dog ? hope that makes sense :0

definately go through KENNEL CLUB that way there are known breeders and you shouldnt end up with an ill dog and if you do then the breeders are more likely to sort it out along with you and actually be interested in the dog rather than the money!!
Ask your local vet of any god breeders!

ITS PUPPY FARMS you want to avoid they just in it for the money and i went round one once and the puppies just sat there dopey, runny eyes etc
not good, they should be excited, waggy tails, bright clean eyes!
also check the puppies parents out see what they are like!

i saw my dogs parents and grandparents!!!!lol:lol:

Latest posts

Back