Sweet Squared Education - price increases

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had another look on the site and it seems the Shellac brings them back class is still available on it's own, which is great! There is also a day course focusing on polishing that is a good price too.

What feels restrictive for me on a personal needs level, is the merging of manicure, pedicure and Shellac. I can see the benefits of doing it all in one, but I don't agree with it being the only option. Especially if you only need to do Pedicure, like myself. This course is aimed at the beginner, it is not aimed at those who have already started.
Also, I already have my tools of the trade and my CND lamp, so why would I go for naturally course and pay out again for stuff I don't need, just to do feet?!

S2, CND, (I don't know who has made these decisions) please have an option to separate the Pedicure course so I can have some training with you!! You've separated Shellac, by keeping that class, so why not pedicure? :cool:

Love you!! :biggrin:

Is this definitely the case? You can no longer do the pedicure course on its own? I have already done manicure and Shellac and wanted to do pedicure early next year, is there no way around this?

I've talked extensively about money on here.

I want the very best training I can get...for the money I have. I'm a stay at home mum and have no day job. I do one or two natural nail/gel polish manicures a month at the moment and won't be doing more until my youngest child starts nursery in a year. All my earnings go on expanding my range of gel polish colours and restocking basics. I don't make any money to save. It would literally take me years and years and years to save up and so thats my plan of CND totally gone.

It's fine, instead of doing the very best training, I'll have to settle for the very best I can afford.

I'm sure the course is fabulous and worth every single penny, I don't doubt it, but alas, its now out of my league. And I do seriously object to the the person who commented that if you were "serious" you'd find the money.

I'm trying to feed my kids and clothe them etc and my husband has spent a very large amount on my training and equipment so far by working overtime for me to have the money. I simply couldn't ask him to work more overtime than he already does, we need him at home sometimes too.

I'm a bit disappointed to be honest, personally, but I don't criticise CND for it. They can charge whatever they want for their courses and those that can will. I'm more addressing the fact that my lack of money doesn't mean I'm any the less serious about my career.

I agree with you. i am 110% committed to doing nails its all i talk about and its all i do in my spear time. i think i an obsessed! lol

I looked for months and months on courses to do. so does that mean that coz mine is cheaper i wont be as good? and coz mine is a home learn i am not as serious about it!

clare x

I think the new course idea is fantastic. I did L&P a year ago, then added brisa gels, then shellac training and further 1.2.1's for confidence. Training in L&P first throws you in at the hard end, and through not fault of the EA's you do feel there are gaps. For example my EA said the new course spends a whole day learning the perfect polishing technique. Polishing is hard and with the 5 day foundation there was not enough time. With the new course you start at the very basics and grow your knowledge in full.

That is why I went back to get more education and with that and my set up costs I have easily spent the cost of this new course and do not have spa pedi's/mani's as a qualification. I feel this will stop all this small worries a student may have when setting up and turn out a highly educated confident nail tech. The thing with good quality education including CND is, if you work hard you will make the money back. It takes time and patience but it's a well recognised brand and people will love it.

I must admit I would have feared the cost at that but I am replying to show that you are getting far more for you money this way, it's a really well thought out setup. I do however agree that an installment option would make the course a less frightening expenditure. Do the new courses allow funding at all, are they NVQ linked? I'm not sure but as a career they may attract funding if you are on tax credits etc.. I am really not sure though, just a thought.

I did this course, and it was great! However what bothers me is that on my certificates it just says 'Foundation Course'. It doesn't show 12 days training. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we did more training on that course than the other CND courses at the time but its not reflected in the qualification. So my main concern about the new CND training is that how do the old courses fit with the new. Will I be able to use the courses I've done towards ITEC or progressing towards CND Masters?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

I think the way the Cerificates were done was that that course was Foundation and the shorter 5 day course had Foundation (5 day) on the certificate.

I don't know about the Itec qualification although maybe someone at S2 would help with information about that.

I am amazed you haven't gone on to do your Masters as you would have been ready for that 6 months to a year after you finished your Foundation...you were top of the class after all ;)

Obviously distributors have changed since you did your course but once you are qualified with CND you are qualified as long as you have your certificate, therefore you can go on with Masters training once you feel you are ready.

I hear and fully empathize with those that may struggle with financing training. This isn't our intention and has been the largest stumbling block to launching the new courses. In the end, we had to challenge our objectives; is our primary objective to create the most inexpensive education possible or to create the most impactful and meaningful education as cost effectively as possible?

The industry in the UK has been plagued by cheap and cheerful short courses for a considerable time. We were involved. We tried to compete by creating courses that were highly accessible but at the cost of being comprehensive (with the aim that students would hopefully continue their education after the short course). I think we did a fairly good job with that, however it was always very frustrating for us knowing there was sooo much more to cover. Knowing damn well that each student needed more than a "foundation" to really make it.

There are shed loads of short, quick and fairly cheap courses out there. We could carry on, but with what aim? Bums on seats? We had to ditch the competitive mindset. We had to remember what we are trying to achieve. We had to do this because NOT doing it just ends up costing the students and the industry.

If our objective is to prepare a student to the best of our ability to enter into the marketplace, prepared to be successful in the least amount of time possible, we had to step out of that sphere of cheap, cheerful and under prepared. We had to take a stand to stop pretending that a four, five, six or even 10 day course was sufficient to properly obtain a return on a students investment of time and money.

90% of the course costs are down to educator fees. Which are VERY well earned. Considering the educator will make or break the success of the student, their costs are a tremendous value. We could water that educator down by having 10, 12, 16 or even 32 students per class - but again, we violate our real objective: The best education and preparation possible. More days = more fees. Another important cost factor of the novice course is the international ITEC qualification. All things considered, the cost for training + the shed load of kit + course time is phenomenal value. Does that make it any easier for some? Sadly not.

No one is more bummed by that than us. We knew the new education program would mean fewer students, but we also know it will mean better equipped professionals that will radically improve their return on their investment in a significantly shorter span of time. Isn't that what education should really be about? It is that or it's about bums on seats. We are not a bums on seats company so we had to stop acting like one.

When you compare length of courses and the cost of courses to other countries, it is still an incredible value. The courses in the US, Russia and most other countries in the world are far longer and far more expensive. That isn't to say this isn't - but rather some feel it is more expensive simply because their point of reference has been a bar that has (for years) been much too low (at the expense of our industry as a whole).

We ran 2 pilot courses of the novice training to tune and tweak. The results were seriously awesome. The graduates are making far more money and are far busier offering more services at a higher confidence level than the typical foundation graduate. But that doesn't take rocket science to figure out. Most of us experienced (the hard way) that the more you invest in education, the more successful you will be.

All this doesn't mean we aren't listening. Just trying to shed some light :)
Let me see if I can tackle some of the questions raised so far (forgive me if I miss something!)

Financing, installments & such

This is something we have looked into for over a year (and continue to do so). Government financing was an insane mess of red tape that would ultimately add stupid administrative costs to the classes while radically reducing our ability to teach non draconian, informed and modern education. Though this would have made it easier for many, it would have ruined much of the whole reason we were implementing the change in the first place. So we stopped pursuing.

We met with finance companies, but ultimately we felt their terms were too onerous on the student.

We have looked at the complexities of payments, though we have yet to find a way to pull this off yet. We will continue to work hard at this.

We have also looked into the ability to provide scholarships and such. Again, we haven't found an answer yet - but we will.

Separate Mani/Pedi

Currently, your best bet is to take the course you are after before the end of the year. This doest mean we won't ever separate them in the future, however the efficiencies of merging them far outweigh the costs of doing them separately so we had to make a call. Hopefully it pays off in far better, more rounded professionals better equipped to make more money performing a range of services.

Using current qualifications toward ITEC

I can't really answer this yet. The ITEC partnership is specifically designed to be partnered with the novice course. Saying that, I am fairly confident that any courses you have done can help toward an ITEC or other NVQ (or equivalent) awarding qualification. There are simply cost implications and gaps that may need to be filled in.

Thanks for giving us an opportunity to explain, hope this helps give some insight. Change sucks, but so does a hollow qualification.

Keep the conversation going. We are all ears. (er... in this case... eyes!)

I'm so Glad I recently did my 5 day l&p before the price increase! Wow, at least the next courses like lift prevention haven't changed.
But I certainly wouldn't of paid £900+ for my basic l&p course if my tutor was how she was when I last went.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Thankyou Mr Geek, for taking the time out to write that post. It's much appreciated that you are listening. Everything you have said makes sense and the courses do look great, including the naturally course, but I only need Pedicure training and products, so will not be taking up that option! Unfortunetly, there is no way I can take the Pedicure course this close to Christmas at this short notice. For many reasons other than finances.

I guess that's me out, unless as you say, in the future you may tweak things. :sad:

Personally I can't see what the fuss is about, I've paid over £800 for two to three day courses without any materials provided (albeit that they weren't nail courses). I think a lot of it is due to the fact that people get used to state funded education and don't like paying for it, a bit like healthcare. You can tell it's undervalued when between material goods and education many would rather spend on the former.

People are always bleeting on about how they can't afford courses, yet they all seem to find the money for expensive phones, televisions, clothes, nights out etc. A lot of it is a case of priorities and the need to embrace a bit of good old fashioned sacrifice and investment. Personally I feel that if someone isn't in a position to find the funds for a proper education and good quality materials then they should look at an alternative career or wait until they can.

Argh I have just booked a manicure course with CND and was hoping to do the pedicure course sometime in the new year. If there is not going to be a separate course then can I have my money back?
I'd rather train with the same company for both courses so I will go elsewhere if I can get my money back!

The Geek, thank you for your comments. As I hope was clear in my original post, I don't doubt the courses are worth every penny.

I'm just sad, because I earn nothing, I save nothing, we have a v. small amount of savings, which with a little extra once Christmas was out of the way would have got me the course I want with CND previously, now however, the goalposts have moved and I have to look elsewhere. I can't wait years to save the money, I've been a stay at home Mum for years and I need to start earnign when my daughter goes to nursery next year and start contributing so we're not so skint any more. Alas, my dream of doing it with CND is now not possible.

I appreciate CND are trying to create professionals at the top of their game, and appreciate education doesn't come cheap. It's a shame though that those of us who are passionate but yet don't have time (to save) or money on our side can't be part of this.

But that's life and thats how it is! So be it. My beef is absolutely not with CND or sweet squared, its with the suckyness of life and those who imply that my lack of funds and inability to find them mean I'm not serious.

Argh I have just booked a manicure course with CND and was hoping to do the pedicure course sometime in the new year. If there is not going to be a separate course then can I have my money back?
I'd rather train with the same company for both courses so I will go elsewhere if I can get my money back!

I think it's abit mean that they havent let you know at the time of booking that the pedicure course wouldnt be available alone after christmas :( Well actually I think its more than abit mean but Id get shot down for saying what I really feel lol xxx

Personally I can't see what the fuss is about, I've paid over £800 for two to three day courses without any materials provided (albeit that they weren't nail courses). I think a lot of it is due to the fact that people get used to state funded education and don't like paying for it, a bit like healthcare. You can tell it's undervalued when between material goods and education many would rather spend on the former.

People are always bleeting on about how they can't afford courses, yet they all seem to find the money for expensive phones, televisions, clothes, nights out etc. A lot of it is a case of priorities and the need to embrace a bit of good old fashioned sacrifice and investment. Personally I feel that if someone isn't in a position to find the funds for a proper education and good quality materials then they should look at an alternative career or wait until they can.

I'm sorry but I really do resent your comments. How can you say that I should look for another career if I can't afford this cnd training.
At the moment I'm a travel agent wanting to change careers.
Im on minimum wage.
I am 41 years old and have never claimed a penny in benefits (maybe that's were I went wrong) and believe me I have worked my backside off since I left school at 16.
As others my age I have a mortgage bla bla.
I DON'T have fancy clothes nothing has a name on it unless you count primark. I dont drink or smoke. I'm very careful with money.
So my question to you is do you think I'm not worthy of doing this?
I know it's the best training (I did my gel course with them) but at the end of the day not everyone can afford to do this training however much they want and the should not be looked down upon.

Vicki
Baa baa bleet

I'm sorry but I really do resent your comments. How can you say that I should look for another career if I can't afford this cnd training.
At the moment I'm a travel agent wanting to change careers.
Im on minimum wage.
I am 41 years old and have never claimed a penny in benefits (maybe that's were I went wrong) and believe me I have worked my backside off since I left school at 16.
As others my age I have a mortgage bla bla.
I DON'T have fancy clothes nothing has a name on it unless you count primark. I dont drink or smoke. I'm very careful with money.
So my question to you is do you think I'm not worthy of doing this?
I know it's the best training (I did my gel course with them) but at the end of the day not everyone can afford to do this training however much they want and the should not be looked down upon.

Vicki
Baa baa bleet

Absolutely agree, the original poster needs to realise people work their backside on minimum wage, not going out on weekends to save just a little bit at the end of the month and that means I shouldn't progress in my career?

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I love CND and make a lot money from Shellac. S2 are amazing, and the cust service is 2nd to none, however can I just say that just because you do not train with CND does not mean you will never be a great nail tech. Not all top nail techs trained with CND.

I did my gel training with Young Nails and i've never had a client complain yet, and I make more than enough money in the business to keep me in a very comfortable lifestyle.

So those that can train with CND, fantastic, but those who feel it's not within their price range then don't give up. It all comes down to personal choice.

Oh that's rough! Hope you get your money back. :eek:

I love CND and make a lot money from Shellac. S2 are amazing, and the cust service is 2nd to none, however can I just say that just because you do not train with CND does not mean you will never be a great nail tech. Not all top nail techs trained with CND.

I did my gel training with Young Nails and i've never had a client complain yet, and I make more than enough money in the business to keep me in a very comfortable lifestyle.

So those that can train with CND, fantastic, but those who feel it's not within their price range then don't give up. It all comes down to personal choice.

What makes me sad is that I believe in the CND products and the standard of education given by them since joining this site. I did my manicure course elsewhere, but straight away started ordering CND products because I felt they were the best. I promised myself I would plan to do the pedicure course with CND this time, so I could actually be trained to use the products that I believed in.
It wouldn't have been a cheap ride to do the one day course for me either as I'd have considerable travel hiccups and would have to stay overnight.

Mr Geek! I have a solution! How about for those that are not at the beginners stage i.e. already done in Manicure or already set up for Shellac, you agree to keep the separate Pedicure course available for another 6 months?
We could all register our interest with you and give our S2 account numbers so you could keep a list. Heck, I'd even travel to Londres if you wanted to keep the locations of the specific courses down to a minimum! :wink2:

Odd that because I have managed to make a career with nothing to stat with. *I'm one of six boys and was bought up by just my mum in a council house, worked since the age of 13 and worked every evening I was at college, every weekend and all holidays. *Whether it was cleaning public toilets or waiting on tables I was determined to make it. *For the first three years I worked in salon I had part time work on my days off and had no tv, phone etc in my flat as I couldn't afford it. *Likewise there were no trips to the pub or meals out. *Since then I have spent a lot of money on my career by cutting back elsewhere.*

People need to put it into perspective. *Even if it were £1000, that's not many treatments to recoup your cost in the grand scheme of things. Let's be honest you can easily get that amount as a personal loan and repay it with a minimum of treatments.

i really take offense at this narrow minded comment!
I signed up earlier on in the year to do a 21 week VTCT NVQ level 2 nail tech course that starts next month. I had signed up to it before i joined salongeek. After joining this site i had hoped after i qualified next year to re train with CND. Now this wont be an option due to the price increase in their courses.
A VTCT NVQ Course level 2 nail tech course in acrylics, gels, and nail art including the kit is £344 at Adult Community Colleges in Essex- A big price difference compared to CND eh!!

Whilst i think Cnd is good quality and im sure their training is of a very high standard. I think my VTCT Qualification is well recognised too!

The difference is that CND is a private company and not funded by government money, and from personal experience private courses often tend to be better.

It's not a difficult concept. Education costs money to provide, companies can't run at a loss, and if you really can't find the money for something you can't have it. Might be unfair, but that's just the way it is.

Odd that because I have managed to make a career with nothing to stat with. *I'm one of six boys and was bought up by just my mum in a council house, worked since the age of 13 and worked every evening I was at college, every weekend and all holidays. *Whether it was cleaning public toilets or waiting on tables I was determined to make it. *For the first three years I worked in salon I had part time work on my days off and had no tv, phone etc in my flat as I couldn't afford it. *Likewise there were no trips to the pub or meals out. *Since then I have spent a lot of money on my career by cutting back elsewhere.*

People need to put it into perspective. *Even if it were £1000, that's not many treatments to recoup your cost in the grand scheme of things. Let's be honest you can easily get that amount as a personal loan and repay it with a minimum of treatments.

You have an extremely narrow minded view and I find your tone mildly antagonistic. Well done on your hard earned achievements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back