What did other kids at your school make of you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the opportunity to do well at school handed to me on a plate but...i bummed out. If only i knew then what i knew now hey !

Ahh me too - we could have set the world alight together:green:

Ahh me too - we could have set the world alight together:green:

what do you mean 'could' have....theres still time for me and you mate trust me:hug:

Well I didn't like school one bit! I was a bit of a geeky kid, but i didn't like being at school.

I was bullied all through primary, then that continued through to high school. It was only in 6th form that i made some true friends (mainly because most of the bullies left at age 16)who i've stayed friend with now. Thats when i 'found my voice' and started standing up for myself when people tried putting me down. Previously I wouldn't say boo to a ghost.

Actually I even had an argument with one of my teachers over my a level coursework because she said i wouldn't even get an F grade for it, and i refused to change any of it. Its funny though, but when i got my results in the aug, i'd got grade B for that coursework!

I was always the 'tall new kid' in primary school, when we moved to Wales, then when I went to Secondary I was a 'cool kid' with cool mates, who used to skip school to go shopping, started clubbing at the age of 13 and smoking and drinking, none of this will ever be repeated to my kids. There was always a big group of us, boys and girls, and a fair few of us are still mates now!
My bessie mate has been my bessie mate since primary! :hug:

Also, I dont think I worked that hard at revision and stuff but seemed to get good grades and I think I annoyed some peeps, I was a bit cocky aswell, to a few teachers and that got me into a bit of trouble!

Looking back, school was the best time of my life, the social life that I had, was better than it is now, and it was such a laugh. I didnt take things to seriously and neither did my mates!

I hated my school... but I loved learning..

I was the girl who worked hard.. handed her homework in on time.. raise her hand to answer questions and get them right.. came top 3 in most subjects in exams..

The teachers loved me.. the boys were attracted to me... but then that leaves all the girls who would hate me...

I was bullied by the girls big time in all the 5 years that I was there for working hard and being too good at everything..

When I finished 5th year.. I couldn't leg it out the school fast enough..!!

Well at Junior school I was a bright intellegent girl who worked beyond expectations... (I rang my mum and asked her lol!) Then my mum said (as I have forgotten) due to the fact that I looked 18 at the age of 11, boys wouldnt leave me alone and I spent most of my time in class flirting with the lads... sigh!! I sailled through the first 4 years then it all came crashing down ... I had to start working.. which I didnt like. I did get 9 CSE's but not brilliant grades overall to be honest. I was always more interested in the opposite sex than school..... :smack: But I can honestly say I never felt threatend by anyone at school... I had loads of girlfriends too. Oh and I just remembered... I spent a full year in love with our music teacher... I just spent the whole time in his class just gazing at him ... I must have made his life hell with my behaviour :(

When I have been back to my school for parents evening with my daughters.... there are still teachers there that was there when I was at school..... and they ALL remembered me... but with affection lol!!!

Soon after leaving school I realised what a bloody fool I had been wasting all my time messing about and ended up going back to evening classes to up my grades for the next 3 years before being able to train as a nurse.

I am a good girl now.... maybe because the fella's don't pay me too much attention these days :eek: lol!!! (apart from my lubly hubby :) )

At primary school I was the joker and the non stop talker which my teachers didn't seem to like so I was told off alot. I was off the estate so had lots of mates and we were the naughty kids who smoked yep at primary lol and were cheeky.
High school I arsed about and would much rather have a laugh then do any school work, I was still smoking at breaks and walking to and from school I was always the little one but the tough one too. I wasnt bullied and didnt like bullys and would stick up for kids who were bullied.
I was good at sports and played netball for all my schools.

I actually remember seeing a woman a few years back at my sons primary school and she said were you Lell ***** at school yep why I asked because I was **** scared of you lol God I nearly died :eek:

I was the kid that made friends easily at primary school ,i was a bit of a tomboy and tearaway and stuck up for myself (other words a little devil)suppose it stems from growing up in a family that worked hard,did dangerous jobs( miners)and a few uncles that were boxers and an older uncle that was a prison warden and took no nonsense from anyone , i wasn't a bully but i did get a few that were winding me up but bid my time ..never bothered me again .I used to beat the living daylights out of the bullies without their gang or friends around them because i hated them for being a bully.

I've been caught in quite a few scraps at high school same again got the bullies on my own,one by one that way they knew they wouldn't try it a second time,because i would find them and they would get the same again..i always found their weakness was not having their mates around them.My dad and my uncles taught me and my 2 brothers how to defend ourselves. I also used to be the one everyone came to when they had a problem,but always looked after number one which is me.I would have helped a friend out if she didn't start the ruck but opposite if she did..left her to her own devices. i was a thin kid at school but a lot of weight behind me.

Nowadays i can still protect myself very well like i used to..and have done through my working life .i do Thai kwon do ,not just for self defense but for excercise..it keeps my old bones from seizing up.I can honestly say since leaving school 20 odd years ago now i haven't been involved in any fights or scrapes suppose it is just a natural thing with me that words do more than the fist.

Last edited:
I hated school with a passion from the very first day of first school,
my mum took me there, left me there for the day and i was home by 11am stating that i didn't like it so i came home,
i was only 4 so my poor mum was horrified to see me standing there on the door step :eek:
of course she made me go back and i quite got to like first school, then at 9 i had to go to middle school :cry: i was devastated, i wanted to stay at first school with all my friends lol,
at middle school i was very good at my school work, i did O level English at middle school with a small group of other kids as we were ahead of the rest, but seemed to be useless at getting on with the other kids,
used to get bullied every day, i was always the smallest at school too so that didn't help,
at grammar school i was in the crowd of rebels, adults said do, so we did the opposite and i very rarely went to classes but one of my friends did so i used to get the work from her and do it at home so i didn't get to far behind but this was the first year of grammar school,
for the next two years of grammar school i was hardly ever there as i was needed to stay at home and care for my mum who had got bad with her cancer, i looked after her right to the end when i was almost 16 but school had ended for me then so i didn't do well in the exam area as the teachers would not let me sit them because i had not been for the last two years :rolleyes:
didn't get the help back then that i would have done these days as a child carer :!:

Oh Louise I am so sorry to hear that......it must have been such a difficult and hard time for you!!!! to be so young and having to go through something like that........big :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

I was always one of the 'unpopular' ones, I was never in a crowd, I decided dying my hair black and having piecings was the way to go! I didn't care and went out of my way most days to ensure people stayed not liking me!!! xxx

Grey mouse here we come..... (collin is laughing and does not believe it)

I was the normal average kid,,,,,always polite (well to everyone else but my parents), tried hard in school and had friends around.....I was never really hanging out in gangs or any of the geek or posh groups, just a normal kit (how boring).

I always wanted to be something / someone and saw myself as a grey mouse, whether my friends and others saw me like that I dont know.

Somehow wanted to work with languages and find a job where I can travel so I studied languages and worked in Export / Sales/Marketing - always working late (regularly till 10pm) from getting up at 5am....I really loved it but it got rid of a lot of friends as there is just not enough time in the day.

Moving several times didnt help either and so I just worked a bit more :O)

Then came the shock to everyone - regular and predictable me quit my job, left my husband, packed my bags and moved to England to be with a certain individual (I wonder who) that I had only been talking to over the phone and via text (never really met) :eek::eek::eek:

What a shock to everyone else, including us!!! Lots of changes, ups and downs and it took a while before everything settled down - well actually it never really settles down as we are mad as hell.....starting our business and then moving to the middle of nowhere in Scotland.

Well my dream was working with languages - now I work with English 24 hours a day (forgotten all other languages), working in a different country for a few years (or indefenetely by the looks), having cool colleagues (I think I have the best colleagues with everyone at wow and salongeek) and I absolutely love working......so I am happy as billy with how grey mousy has turned out :green:

Well i enjoyed primary school and i had loads of friends, but when i started high school it all went down hill, i was bullied constantly, i found it very hard to make friends and it stayed that way til i left school. If anyone dared do any of the stuff they did to me in high school now i'd knock em out, i am always concious of my kids at school, i always make sure that they have all the new stuff and dress well, anything to stave off the bullies, i'd hate to find out that my kids were being bullied at school as i'd have the bullies parents in the school office so quick their heads would spin! :lol: I feel very fortunate to have made the friends i have on this site and the friends i have at the school, :hug:

I went to quite a small private girls school on an assisted place. All the girls were dead posh with very rich daddies, except me. I sort of got on with everyone, really. Was a bit of a practical joker and helped get our year the reputation of the most badly behaved in the school's history!:)

Well were all grown up now and do our stuff and most have children of their own.

When you were at school what sort of a school kid were you??

I wasn't a book worm as such, but was very academic and always got very high marks. I only ever once got below 90% for a subject (it was 83%) which was for maths and I was devastated. Beat myself up for weeks about it....:cry:

Were you one of the cool kids or did everyone think you were a bit of a twitt(carefull spelling again).

I was definately one of the cool kids and so was my "group". But we were cool kids without an attitude if that makes sense. We were all high achievers, yet we were cool and NOT geeky at all :lol: My best friend was a Reverend's daughter and she was the life and soul of any party. I'm sure her father to this day still blames me for her misbehaving the way she did :lol:

Did you enjoy being at school and are you doing the job today that you envisaged you would be doing back then??

I enjoyed school, it was never a chore or bad or anything negative. I did well academically and wasn't too shabby at sport either. Would I do it again though... probably not. I was in a very strict, regimented school and I enjoy my freedom far too much to go back to that sort of environment again.

The funniest thing that ever happened, and my mum still tells the story to this day, is that she got a call from the principal saying that my best friend (the reverends daughter) and me had been bunking classes and that he wanted to talk to her.

So my mum turns up, very concerned because I'm a model student and have NEVER bunked anything and can't understand what is going on.

So the principal sits her down and explains that for the past 3 weeks, neither myself or my friend had been attending the Religious Studies hour that we had to have as a subject every week :irked:.

So my mum says, so what have they been doing in the hour that they haven't been attending Religious Studies for the past 3 weeks ?

The principal (and this is not a word of a lie) turns around and says to my mum "they were caught sitting in the girls loo .... wait for it ..... doing homework !!!!

My mum burts out laughing and said, "you called me in here to tell me that my daughter and her friend had been bunking of a subject which is "irrelevant" to sit in the loo and use the hour more productively by doing their homework !!"

The principal didn't know what to say. My friends father on the other hand was slightly dissapointed that his daughter didn't attend religious studies, but was happy at least that we weren't smoking or doing drugs in the loo, but homework :lol:

I was such a rebel :lol: :lol:

M.

Last edited:
primary school, just sort of normal i suppose, but when i got to secondary school OMFG did eveything change, it was all about looks, money, clothes, the bag you carried (if you had a jd sports bag you were great, if you brought a kwik save plassy bag you got your arse kicked, unfortunalty being from a non working, disabled, single parent family, i usually had a poundland bag , added to the fact that i was small, someone thought this made me an easy target, well i wasnt gonna be bullied i hated seeing it happen to other people, so i started being very aggressive towards people who bullied or verbally abused me or anyone else, which made me a 'hard knock' when in actual fact i only ever had one fist fight when i was 14, every other time i'd open my mouth give as good as i got and more and they usally shrunk away

im still a right gobby cow now, but i have to be careful, as i will get involved in anyones fight and with guns and knives these days, ive had to learn to keep my old trap shut.

everyone used to come to me, if they were getting bullied, or had problems, i was good listener and a bit of an agony aunt, in 4th and 5th year i somehow ended up being part of the 'in crowd' but i was always different IYKWIM but they still excepted me , i was told later on, it was cos they were scared rofl, yet they were all a foot taller than me,

i did make friends easily (still do) and i had loads of boy mates, and considering im short, dumpy and not pretty, i had lots of boyfriends (usually the popular ones) which made me very unpopular tbh, my fella in year 4 and 5 (stayed with him for 2 yrs after school 2) was the most fancied lad in the whole school, even the teachers used to tell me i was lucky girl, i used to get spit at , called all kinds of names by the nerdy girls lol cos they were jealous, if only they knew what a horrid, two timing , drunken murderer he turned out to be eh (see i always pick em lol)

i actually liked school, education wise, just wished the school had been better, i like to learn and did quite well, but it wasnt the best school around, so wish id had more opportunity elsewhere.

nice question xxx

mmmmm school now theres a thing...

Had the good fortune to attend a pretty bad comprehensive school with a lot of rough necks....started off great but I was a bit of an athlete and could swim like a fish and run like the wind.

So got stuck into those areas and started to break school records for long distance running,cross country,mile ,1500m and 500m.

Now heres the thing...was so good at it that I was banned from the school races because I won every race and the teachers felt it was not benifical to other pupils....not to inspirational for me though as this was something I excelled at and enjoyed...

I guess nowdays the school would have encouraged a winner and progressed him/her onto the next level but sadly not back then.

I did manage to get to national competition level of my own back but the school thing I guess somehow turned me the other way and I rebelled.

Thats when I descovered girls and partying and I supose the focus and drive was distracted and basically in so far as school lessens were concerned I went down hill from there finally flunking even CSE level.

Left school and went into an electrical engineering degree...found myself loving this passed coming top in the country and by aged 26 I had my own company with over 100 electricians and 20 office staff working for me across the country.

Was heavily involved in consulting with govermental changes in Electricity at work act and some years later sold the buisness as I felt it had peaked and couldnt be taken any further.

Through this experiance I was involved in a number of aqusitions and merger deals on a consultancy basis which I absolutley loved....

I was basically the person who went in after the aqusition to reshape and get the company and staff rocking and then secure a suitable MD who would then drive the restructured company forward into the longer term....

Fantastic time and met and worked with some amazing (and stupid...mainly upper management trying to protect their personel position) individuals from the cleaner that came in each day right the way through to mr big himself who had bought the buisness....

very wide spectrim of skill requirements that certainly taxed the mind each and every day....good times

This led me to find a wonderfull lady which has given me further insperation in latter years to drive me forward into completly new realms.

Of all the variouse buisness activities I have to say this one I have found to be most inspirational and satisfying over the last number of years ....

you guy's just never cease to amaze me with your desire to continuasly improve your qualifications through further learning and your willingness to adapt your services to market trends

So now here I sit in a wonderfull country...with a wonderfull lady (a dog and 3 cats) in a wonderfull industry full of intresting people and diverse skills ...Geeking :eek:

I loved school, wanted to go to boarding but parents thought it was a phase and didnt send me, went to a catholic school and hung with d popular girls, I never really fit in as i was a geek in disguise. I had several afterschool clubs incl drama school & debating. As I got older I wanted to go to excellent uni so studied like mad whilst my so called friends patied and slept with my boyf! devastated I made a lil mess of my GCSE's well not d perfect grades I thought I'd get. I moved to college to do a-levels, then went mad partying for a yr then thought no I will go 2 good uni and knew I'd have more chance in another country then stayin here........... I then came upon Trinity Coll in Dublin and came over 'to see' if I'd like it then met my partner! It wasnt all flowers n roses I was spun - I wanted to go to uni all my life then I was working in a shoe shop :green:, renting, an had a boyf who wasnt really into education. He told me to do a course in nails as I got mine done so much - i refused, his sister cut out the course discription form the paper and I dont belive in coincidence so off I went to NSI.

Found out it was bloody hard but kept at it, got better n better but still thought there was something missing, didnt want to sit at a desk doing nails all day I wanted to learn. Ended up training to be an educator but I knew that I was only teaching for a small product company so went back got my ITEC and trained with NABTET to do my teaching diploma and now am finishing my teaching degree - so still the geek I always was

I was the real plain ugly duckling at school. I was the school swot, and a complete Geek (now I'm one officially). I was bullied from the day I started junior school to the day I left sixth form, but I refused to change who I was just because of them.

I wanted to be a writer and an editor since I was about 12, and at 24 I got my dream. I look at networking sites with details of all my old classmates and smile smugly to myself when I compare what I have made of myself to what they have achieved. My Mum even carries a copy of Guild Gazette around with her to shove under the nose of anyone she may meet on the bus/shopping/minding their own business lol. That's mothers for you!

The moral of the tale? Stay true to yourself and you will reap the rewards (oh, and don't give your mother your business card!).

II look at networking sites with details of all my old classmates and smile smugly to myself when I compare what I have made of myself to what they have achieved. My Mum even carries a copy of Guild Gazette around with her to shove under the nose of anyone she may meet on the bus/shopping/minding their own business lol. That's mothers for you!

The moral of the tale? Stay true to yourself and you will reap the rewards (oh, and don't give your mother your business card!).

well Louisa, i must say, it must be fab for you to look at these bullies and see how you've done next to them chick

and as for your mum, good on her, what a proud mum she must be

:hug:

well Louisa, i must say, it must be fab for you to look at these bullies and see how you've done next to them chick

and as for your mum, good on her, what a proud mum she must be

:hug:

Lol, I occasionally allow myself to feel satisfied! My Mum allows herself to feel smug on a permanent basis. I guess that's what Mum's are for!

I'm still the same, still a workaholic, but now I'm proud of it, and am very content with my life (don't let my boss see this).

I'm going to stop this now, as I'm making myself want to vomit, never mind you guys!:)

Latest posts

Back