What level would you say you are with Nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where are you with Nails?

• I am 100% happy with my sets of nails

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • I am almost there, just a few problems with consistency

Votes: 133 55.4%
  • I trained on a short course with an unknown company but now know which direction I'm headed

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • I am not trained at all, I taught myself and am happy with my nails

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • My nails are terrible, it's upsetting me and I just don't know why

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 36 15.0%

• Total voters
I'm the same as most I think. I voted number 2, and don't ever really want to reach number 1.

I may look at a set of my nails and decide they are the best I've ever done so far, but the day I'm 100% happy, is the day I stop striving to improve. And everything can always be improved on with new techniques, and new products.

I am with Lynsday on this one - the day in say I am 100% happy is the day I will give up as I no longer care about my work!

I feel that this industry is one where we should constantly being aiming to improve with further development and training!

Im not happy with my sets that i produce, they could be way better which is why im booking a skill building course

I voted other because nothing seemed to fit. There are some things that I'm happy with others that I'm not.

My smiles aren't good enough for someone that has been in the industry for as long as I have, but I barely did a set of French in my first 5-6 yrs. Now they are the big thing & mines still need alot of work.

I'd also like to get the hang of custom blending.

I am surprised to see someone has voted 100% happy - I dont believe anyone who is conscientious in this industry should ever admit to being 100% happy and have nothing to improve on.

I think the poll is missing an option as none really suited what I felt - I agree with Judy, I am relatively happy with most things but far from all and I always have something to learn.
I voted 100% :o although it was because it is missing an option, i am happy, but could improve as nails is one long learning zone to me and we come across different situations everyday:)

No way am I happy! I am 100% conscientious and my hygiene is perfect, my customer service and willing to please faultless, but nowhere near the level of quality I am striving to achieve in producing a set of nails!

Good thread!

Couldn't have put it better myself:)

i voted other

i have a nail treatments,nail art and nail enhancement qualification

i need to practice more in order to boost my confidence and speed,

I'm the same need more confidence in myself!! I'm not 100% happy but then who ever really is!! But I think with that a bit more confidence & practice I'll get there one day, hopefully!!! :) My training was good & I have good feedback from clients, just a couple of things I need to perfect &all will be well!! Thing is were learning new stuff & ways all the time which will also help!! :)

Definitely not 100%, I am probably about 60%. I am willing and eager to do well.

My training path was a first and I feel wrong choice (although I have learnt), so I would have to pick number 3 for voting.

Great thread! I've often thought about this myself as (if w'ere honest) we can all see flaws in our work or are our own worst critiques.

Teri x:hug:

I feel very frustrated as done my course at college and have just recently been to Creative to help with smiley's - I wish i had gone to Creative in the first place rather than college as I would have learned so much more - more one to one training etc, I do feel inadequate in what I am doing - all I can say is thanks to Anne who helped me on Monday with my training and I am going to book on more courses to better myself.

I am happy with where i'm at with my nails but i'm my own worse critic & i always find room for improvement. i'm always so open to new tips & techniques from other techs. And i'm always setting new goals for myself.

Number 2 for me, but there is so mach way to pass untill i get that 100%:|

I voted no 2 as i feel i am pleased with what i produce, but know there is plenty of room for improvement.

I think if you always strive to be better and to improve, even when you do great nails, it makes you a much better tech in the long run. Plus i love training and work shops as you always learn something new and it always gives me a much needed push sometimes and awakens my passion for nails.

I am definately going to invest in some descent education in nail enhancements.

at present only done short courses,and gave up at college after starting an nvq,as the training was abysmal.

I love skincare and thrive on it,but i am one of those therapists that love nails aswell.On the odd occasion i have attempted a set of nails it has only been on a few friends,and my applivcation of liquid and powder is uneven,i find it hard aswell to blend tips,and as for sculpting which i would love to do...forget it!!:eek:

I would also like to learn fabric or silk so i will certainly invest in a good educational course and some one to one(if husband permits!) with Creative.

Were there or are there any nail technicians who were or are in the same boat as me??

Actually its good to know that we are all striving for the ultimate in learning the art of nails...i just hope one day i can get to the point where im 75% there.

ive still got so much more to learn and to gain experience as i have only been doing it for a few years and i am not full time.sometimes i do a set of nails and i am 100% happy with them but most of the time im not and there are alot of things i need to improve on.but im still learning and finding new and different techniques so i would say that i have still got a way to go before i am going to be 100% happy with the nails i do.
great thread:)

Can anyone put their hand up and say, I've been training for years... I've spent alot of time, money and effort and now I am happy with how my nails are?

Sorry to say, No matter how happy the client is when they leave i can always see the flaws. I keep trying to improve, and i believe i am, all but slowly. I would never think my nails are great because i am such a perfectionist and always looking for ways to make them better.

maybe one day i will cut myself some slack and actually feel 100% confident that i have done a great set, but unfortunately all i see is the flaws.. and they are there! I'm finding that the more i try and get my time down the more flaws i see.. but im focusing on my timing right now so i'll make a mental note of my gripes and carry on!

nope not me
i qualified last spring and i still think i have a long way to go , sometimes i am happy with a set , but never completely
i always see little bumps ,or dips ,or one side isnt as level as the other , apex isnt high enough or isnt even there !!!
smiles are never neat enough , i could go on foever ,
but i dont just settle and leave it at that .nope , i want to learn and practice as much as i can ,
sometimes by the time i have finished a set i actually have brain ache ..because i dont ever just whack them on ..i look carefully and think about everything i do , from sanitising to solar oiling

but i like that about me ..i dont want to just settle ,for "there you go theres some acrylics i have shoved on , now pay me and off you pop, they will last 3 or 4 days ok " :green:
i feel pride when a client returns after 3 or 4 weeks and tells me they have never had nails stay on that long before ,and i can see there is no lifting etc..I LOVE IT !

Well said ems, i know exactly how you feel, I am my own worst critic i think i am too much of a perfectionist and even if my clients love them i am never really 100% happy with them, I always manage to find little faults like you, But then i think that is what makes us good at our jobs!
I have seen some REALLY REALLY shoddy work on some of my new clients it makes me so angry that there are people out there who really dont give a .... whether their finished sets look good, one of my new clients came to me a month ago as she was not happy with the previous tech and i really couldnt believe the state of both her natural nails and the gel enhancements what were left on. her nail bed had been filed away to within millimeters of nothing and the gel that was left was lumpy and bumpy in all directions, she wanted me to put a new set of gel on and leave her natural nails that were long the same length, I advised her that i wouldnt do that as her nails were sooo wafer thin that they would break or lift i advised her that i would just them all down and start again with new tips and u.v acrylic as it is stronger than the gentle gel that i use, a month on she has been back for her infils and is over the moon with her nails she is back tonight for her 3rd appointment and i cant wait to see how much more her nails have grown and are improving.

Sorry for rambling:eek:

I'm happy with the nails I produce ......I think I do a great job!.......and my clients are always amazed ...........
However I'm always open to learning new things and improving what I do .....so the training and learning will never stop as this is just part of the job and the industry

After 12 years in the nail industry and running my own business for all of that time I would feel like I had cheated a client if I was not 100% happy with her treatment/service.Have more faith in your abilities girls and keep on practising (your prices should reflect this)
At the end of an appointment I always ask myself 'would I have been happy with that set of nails if I was the client?'
That said, there is always something new to learn and new techniques to discover, so I always attend courses to update my skills.XXX

I would feel like I had cheated a client if I was not 100% happy with her treatment/service.

this is exactly why I voted the way I did!:green:

To be honest I think my work is ok, and I am fairly confident. But no way am I 100% happy. There are points that I would love to perfect such as finishing and consistency of nail shapes. Also I have so much more to learn and that's the way I like it!

Although I do want to aim towards perfection, just got to keep on pushing myself!
Quote from Feb 07.

Finishing and consistency of the nails, definitely improved since then. But still pushing for perfection.:green:

Latest posts

Back