Whats your phobia?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie23

Reaction score
At the moment there is an article on MSN about the different phobias people have and I thought that this would make an interesting and funny read.

So whats your phobia?

Well I will start off my telling you all mine and believe me this is not something that I admit to everyday. Ever since I can remember I have suffered from

koumpounophobia: Fear of buttons
:eek: :Scared: :eek:

Yes you read that correctly I HATE BUTTONS so much so that if I see them/one it makes me gag. I cannot wear clothes with buttons on, if I have something with buttons on I have to get someone to remove them. I dont mind covered buttons thats more than acceptable. Large coat style buttons are ok too. But your tradional small round plastic button regardless of how many holes I feel sick. I certainly can't eat if I can see a button. I cant eat anything thats small and round and resembles a button. heck I dont even like the word and I am already cringing, lol.

Yes I know its insane and irrational and I have tried to overcome it over the years but I can't. I have conquered other fears like heights, unknown stairs/steps, insects but this one is for life.

Apparently its a common phobia, I can remember one poor soul having to go into a button chamber on Don't Try This At Home, I was having kittens and couldnt watch it, no way could I have done it for no amount of money.

its certainly brought a lot of humour and p*ss taking over the years, I take it in good part cos I realise how weird it is :lol: :lol:

anne xx

oooh Anne, that is a weird one!

I have a few phobias, my mine one is people who wiggle their toes. Hate it! Makes me want to throw up. If its on the TV I have to look away.

My mine job is reflexology, but as I control the feet, they never seem to wriggle their toes.

Got some usual ones too, like spiders, enclosed spaces and heights.

Its not so much a phobia but i HATE it when your eating an ice lolly and get down to the wooden stick. If i accidently lick it that makes me gag!! I end up leaving half the lolly in fear of getting down to it!

I do however have a fear of hospitals, absolutely hate them. No one likes hospitals but i hate them.

Buttons must be awful! How can you avoid them! xx

Its not so much a phobia but i HATE it when your eating an ice lolly and get down to the wooden stick. If i accidently lick it that makes me gag!! I end up leaving half the lolly in fear of getting down to it!

I do however have a fear of hospitals, absolutely hate them. No one likes hospitals but i hate them.

Buttons must be awful! How can you avoid them!
xx

I have to ignore and avoid looking at them, which incidently isnt that easy. lol

If a bloke is wearing a shirt under a jumper and the button is popping over the collar, literally I have to walk away. Loose buttons - don't go there! thats the WORST :eek: :eek:

anne xx

RATS!!! I grew up on a farm and the stables at one point were riddled with them when i was about 9 ish i left my riding boots over night and when i went to put them on a rat was in the boot and bit me so hard i still have the scar hate them hate them I am sweating now typing this lol!!!

I hate cotton handkerchiefs and people blowing their noses at the dinner table , if I see one come out in a restaurant or a cafe that's it I will run a mile
and just hope I don't hear the snozzler noise if I hear it I cannot eat my meal
is this just me or does anyone else think that it's really bad manners to blow their noses at the dinner table ? :eek:
I mean I understand we all have sniffles , but its the big horrible nose blowers with the cotton hankies that make me feel so sick ..... I wonder who has to wash them yuck .... :confused:

RATS!!! I grew up on a farm and the stables at one point were riddled with them when i was about 9 ish i left my riding boots over night and when i went to put them on a rat was in the boot and bit me so hard i still have the scar hate them hate them I am sweating now typing this lol!!!

:eek: Oh yes I hate them too, I really am terrified of them especially with all the horrible diseases they can spread :rolleyes:

Birds - hate them I run a mile .....On a beach on hols I was eating crisps and these Geese tried to get them so started legging it down the beach and the Geese where chasing me. My sister was in stiches . Funny for her I was a nervous wreck after:Grope:

My first phobia is sick, (sorry if anyone is eating whilst reading) I cant watch anyone be sick, as it makes me gag, I cant clean sick up and if I have to be sick oh my life im a wreck, I worry about choking to death on it.

My 2nd one is dirty hands, I really do not like dirty hands and if I come across anyone with dirty mits my whole body language changes and the hand sanitiser comes out, I have no idea where this has come from lol

Suex

Its not a phobia as such cos it doesn't effect my life...more of a hidden fear....

Being left alone.

I hate cotton handkerchiefs and people blowing their noses at the dinner table , if I see one come out in a restaurant or a cafe that's it I will run a mile
and just hope I don't hear the snozzler noise if I hear it I cannot eat my meal
is this just me or does anyone else think that it's really bad manners to blow their noses at the dinner table ?
:eek:
I mean I understand we all have sniffles , but its the big horrible nose blowers with the cotton hankies that make me feel so sick ..... I wonder who has to wash them yuck .... :confused:

I am totally with you on this one, its rude and disgusting. Thats what toilets are for, go use them :irked: :eek:

anne xx

Mine is hair in drains like the shower or bath or basin ...

I just cannot bear to clean them and pull it out. I wretch at the thought of it. Poor Simon has to do this chore and check every time that there is no hair caught in the drain or I wont use the bath or shower until it is gone. If I see any I have to call him to get it out.

I'd rather clean up pooh than take the hair out of a drain.

Buttons must be awful! How can you avoid them! xx

OMG I'm exactly the same!! I thought I was the only one!haha

I also have a real phobia of ANY flying insects, I run a mile as soon as one is near me. They're just so unpredictable you don't know if they're going to try and fly into your ear or something!:eek:

Ewww it actually gives me goosebumps thinking about it lol xxxx

Earwigs :irked: Even writing that word makes feel all queer and funny. We once had an infestation in an old house and I couldn't go in the kitchen or sleep or pretty much do anything :mad:

Also I never thought I had a fear of heights until I went up the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth - NEVER again!!!!

My phobia is needles, I faint at any injection I have ever had, also the few times ive had bloods taken I have ended up in the spare doctors room as I couldnt even stand afterwards!
I cant watch programmes like, casulty, holby etc as it makes me feel ill.

Years ago I was watching the film ''Flatliners'' and was found in a heap in the kitchen when I went through to get a glass of water as didnt feel well!

Its a terrible thing to have, I have thought about getting hypnotised to see if it would help....... :cry:

Laura x

My first phobia is sick, (sorry if anyone is eating whilst reading) I cant watch anyone be sick, as it makes me gag, I cant clean sick up and if I have to be sick oh my life im a wreck, I worry about choking to death on it.

My 2nd one is dirty hands, I really do not like dirty hands and if I come across anyone with dirty mits my whole body language changes and the hand sanitiser comes out, I have no idea where this has come from lol

Suex

:eek: I am right there with you on this one eeeeeeeeYAK talk about all reasoning going out of the window.... whether it's me or anyone else or seeing it in the street, anyone even saying they feel sick and I am a total wreck... shaking/sweating/on the verge of fainting OMG
Had a client recently come ova all nauseous, had to stop treatment and get bucket!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried my hardest to stay professional but was trembling like a looney & nearly hyper ventilating -fortunately she wasn't sick phew!!!!!

Also am a tad obsessive about washing hands & checking others have done so too!! Perhaps these two go together???!!! :rolleyes:

Yep I am a sick phob too!!!! I have tried my hardest to get over it. Training as a nurse, flying as Cabin Crew and I am still really bad. I have had two pregnancies without morning sickness, and when my Children say they feel sick I tense up and can't concentrate. My Husband had food poisoning a few years ago and I had to get my Mother In Law to empty his bucket!!!! If I know that a sickness bug is going around, I am constantly washing my hands. That would be my worst nightmare having a client almost throw up!!!! eek.

Spiders! It doesnt matter how tiny - but I especially hate the flying daddy long leg Craneflies :eek: - can't be in a house if I know there is one here - this time of year is awful!

Also I can't stand being underground - although I can use the tube - but I don't like it. I can't go into underground car parks - they are the worst. When we went to Majorca a few years ago we went to visit some caves and it was awful - I was practically crying and felt really ill - this is when I realised I didn't like being underground! :cry:

Cigarettes and anything to do with smoking, i did'nt mind them as a kid, i would take them out of the packet for my mum and pass the ashtray ect. THEN one day(i was about 7) she was in the toilet and left one burning in the ashtray, i placed my hand 5 inches above the smoke then when i looked it was brown & smelt disgusting, i was hysterical, mum rushed out the loo took me to bathrom washed my hands all the while i was crying. :cry:However much my hands were washed i still felt dirty and to this day (i'm now 44) i feel dirty just seeing someone smoke, i can't touch a clean ashtray, i have to look away from the anti-smokng adverts. And i hate it when someone is smoking outside, they could be 3 gardens away but it wil make it's way into my house and i can smell it ( not the smoking outside that bothers me, it's that it comes to get me!) and it makes me cringe when i hear a female smokers voice (Linda Bellinghem) for example. The nicotine stains on teeth and fingers just turns my stomach.
I had better shut up now i could go on & on even more:lol:

Flying Birds- i'm ok if they are in a cage or sitting on road etc but if they come near me flying i freeze and cry i just cant stand it, i panic so much. another thing i cant stand is people grinding their teeth - sends shivers down my spine. x

Latest posts

Back