Whats your phobia?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seaweed - I can't go in the sea if I can't see the bottom in case there's seaweed in there. That's basically all UK beaches!!!!! I can paddle up to my ankles 'cos then I can see what's coming in the waves but there's not way I will swim the in the sea.....

I'm also not good with spiders.....

Metal on my teeth, anyone elses teeth too! I also can't be around people who really scrape thier cutlery on the plate - it makes me sweat, feel dizzy and want to gag!

My irrational fear is of the dentist which is where, I guess the metal thing comes from too - even the smell of metal makes me ill :(

Spiders is mine. I freeze if I see one and can move until I know it is dead. Not very good if I'm my own

I have spiders and height etc... all the normal girlie ones, except snakes, I quite like snakes and rodents too, I like hem but I have a real horror of clowns, and puppets and things that move by themselves, like remote control cars. They are the worst invention ever! Whoever thought that making a car that could be controlled by small boys, however small the car is has real issues! It is like they are aiming for me everytime, perhaps I am remote control car magnetic! I think the fear stems from 'IT' the Stephen King film with Pennywise the clown who turns into a spider and 'everything floats down here!' Its a blimming nightmare!!!!!! Not my favorite film of all time as you can imagine! Lol Lx

ESCALATORS - ive had hypnotherapy twice , i went to salon last year ,got there ok , but on way back stopped off at holborn -big mistake - had humungeous panic attack , at foot of escalator , broke down crying hysterically there was no other way out - litter picker came up and tried to get some sense out of me , i could only point ,and then got even more hysterical , well he took my hand and held it all theway up , i gave him such a big hug ( and i hate touching people!) i love that guy , what a hero .

I was going to post a thread about phobias, but did a search and saw this one.

Mine was learning to drive, I failed a test many years ago (at the age of 22) then left it for 16 years before taking it up again. for some reason I was petrified of doing so.

I am pleased to say that I passed my theory (first time) and have my test coming up soon! (and have only had 10 hours tuition this time) I am also more than happy to drive my little car everywhere whenever me, my OH and stepson need to go out :)

Lizards and frogs. When my son was just a boy, I bought him a bb gun so he could rid our yard of them. Our yard was littered with the carcasses of the dead and dying little bast***s.

Since he's moved away to college, they're all back, stalking me, seeking their evil revenge.

I hate thunder... Not lightning just thunder. It scares me.

I've had CBT for a spider phobia and it has really helped. Gone from screaming and crying and running out of a room to having pics up in my kitchen and 1 in a jar on the windowsill that I call Boris and talk to in 12 weeks.

Scared of ghosts... Long story!

Don't like ladders, won't go higher than 3rd rung on any ladder.

Not overkeen on the dark.

At the moment there is an article on MSN about the different phobias people have and I thought that this would make an interesting and funny read.

So whats your phobia?

Well I will start off my telling you all mine and believe me this is not something that I admit to everyday. Ever since I can remember I have suffered from

koumpounophobia: Fear of buttons
:eek: :Scared: :eek:

Yes you read that correctly I HATE BUTTONS so much so that if I see them/one it makes me gag. I cannot wear clothes with buttons on, if I have something with buttons on I have to get someone to remove them. I dont mind covered buttons thats more than acceptable. Large coat style buttons are ok too. But your tradional small round plastic button regardless of how many holes I feel sick. I certainly can't eat if I can see a button. I cant eat anything thats small and round and resembles a button. heck I dont even like the word and I am already cringing, lol.

Yes I know its insane and irrational and I have tried to overcome it over the years but I can't. I have conquered other fears like heights, unknown stairs/steps, insects but this one is for life.

Apparently its a common phobia, I can remember one poor soul having to go into a button chamber on Don't Try This At Home, I was having kittens and couldnt watch it, no way could I have done it for no amount of money.

its certainly brought a lot of humour and p*ss taking over the years, I take it in good part cos I realise how weird it is :lol: :lol:

anne xx

OMG I'm the same as you!!!!although mine is slightly different,I hate loose buttons!!! I remember once not being able to do my washing because my then flat mate had some clothes in there and a button had come off :o

Hate seeing them in clusters,like a pattern on bags or cushions. Weird phobia isn't it..

Spiders! It doesnt matter how tiny - but I especially hate the flying daddy long leg Craneflies :eek: - can't be in a house if I know there is one here - this time of year is awful!

Also I can't stand being underground - although I can use the tube - but I don't like it. I can't go into underground car parks - they are the worst. When we went to Majorca a few years ago we went to visit some caves and it was awful - I was practically crying and felt really ill - this is when I realised I didn't like being underground! :cry:

I appreciate that. Not nice to not see daylight...

I've been to the Caves of Drach... Did love it though :)

Oh yeah Sick too ugh nastiness. Can't even deal with my own.

I have a massive problem with the 'B' word...... blood - seeing it or people talking about it.

I've got quite a few piercings and had never had a problem with blood before but one day years ago I accidentally cut myself - a teeny tiny paper cut and I have never been the same since!

I haven't been able to have any blood tests because I just faint instantly.

I've fainted in the hairdressers before as someone next to me was talking about a nasty injury to their nose, and last week I fainted after watching 'The Real A&E' on TV after seeing sooooo much blood when a stab victim was brought in.

IT'S SO FRUSTRATING and I just can't stop myself no matter how hard I try

Oooooh must stop using the 'B' word before I get woozy! :irked:

Dirt, I'm ok with dust but any other dirt is UNACCEPTABLE - I go into panic attack mode. Lol I'm talking loose hairs, anything sticky, just unclean - anything unclean. But I'm sure I'm more of a case of OCD than a phobia

I also am terrified of trouser legs lol like the bottom of trousers and shoes and dirty socks are my enemy.

Gosh it feels good to get that off my chest

Dirt, I'm ok with dust but any other dirt is UNACCEPTABLE - I go into panic attack mode. Lol I'm talking loose hairs, anything sticky, just unclean - anything unclean. But I'm sure I'm more of a case of OCD than a phobia

I also am terrified of trouser legs lol like the bottom of trousers and shoes and dirty socks are my enemy.

Gosh it feels good to get that off my chest

I'll get you Dr. Phil's number here in the U.S. You may need therapy. :wink2:

I hate touching / handling Polystyrene, makes me cringe:o

I'm not sure if this is a phobia as such as it doesn't interfere with my life but I hate being near things that are massive (bear with me!). I can get on planes if we go through the tunnel thing but if we have to walk onto it I freak out. And seeing the bow of a boat. And electric pylon things. And seeing anything rising out of the sea (the worst advert was the smirnoff vodka one where all the debris was being sucked out of the sea-just creeped me out!) it's weird I know...wonder if it's got a name...?!

Wasps..... I am terrified of them, I stood on one when I was younger and couldn't get it off my foot. Spiders I can deal with but wasps just make me want to cry!

Heights, scorpions, cockroaches, dirt to name but a few. Don't mind spiders thought. When I was a little girl my parents told us never to kill a spider as they kill all the house flies, and I can't stand flies either.:)

Not my phobia, but my husband's...he's terrified of snakes and rats. I've enjoyed the last 30 years of our married life placing fake versions of these creatures in various places around our home, in sheds, in cars or in boats just to watch him stumble out the door or scream like a little girl.

I'm going straight to hell, aren't I?

Not my phobia, but my husband's...he's terrified of snakes and rats. I've enjoyed the last 30 years of our married life placing fake versions of these creatures in various places around our home, in sheds, in cars or in boats just to watch him stumble out the door or scream like a little girl.

I'm going straight to hell, aren't I?
I'm just surprised your marriage has lasted 30 years!

Latest posts

Back