Who is sitting in the cold?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy-chick

Reaction score
with energy prices being so expensive, I was wondering if anyone was mad like me and actually switching the heating off through the day when no one else is in the house but me?

I'm sitting here with a cardigan and a scarf, switched the heating off 10 mins ago and my legs are starting to feel cold already.

time to get up and move around.

But, am I actually saving much by doing this? Is it a pointless exercise?
Last year I would have the heating on all day and not think about it, but this past 10 months I've really been taking note of all the price raises.

I now switch the heating off 30 minutes before I leave the house, as that time you dashing around getting ready anyway.

I'm off all day, so will probably geek from bed later!!!

OMG- sense of humour bypass in this house!:)

I dont turn the heating off as such but I turn the temperature down to a level that is normally lower that I would have done before.

p.s. - dont worry about geeking from bed - I quite often take my lap top with me!

Not me - I'd sooner go without food than warmth.

I'm not sure how much you save anyway TBH. If you listen to the boiler when you do put the heating on I bet you'll find it chugs away for hours to get the house up to temperature, whereas if it is on all the day it just comes on from time to time - thats my theory anyway.

I think you probably gain more by keeping your thermostat on a slightly lower temperature.

Not me - I'd sooner go without food than warmth.

I'm not sure how much you save anyway TBH. If you listen to the boiler when you do put the heating on I bet you'll find it chugs away for hours to get the house up to temperature, whereas if it is on all the day it just comes on from time to time - thats my theory anyway.

I think you probably gain more by keeping your thermostat on a slightly lower temperature.

I think you're right here Adele... it would probably cost more to heat the house up from scratch than have the boiler kick in for 30 minutes to keep it constant.

I'm like you... I'd rather starve than be cold. I do sometimes put it back on when it goes off at half eight, it depends what I'm doing. If I'm doing housework then I don't bother, if I'm practicing or geeking (generally lazing around) then I switch it back on.

I regularly get on the bed with my laptop and chuck a throw over me. Infact, think I might forget the rest of the housework and put a film on tv later and do just that! :green:

Hi All,
We are being very economic with our heating. But we have oil heating. The only room that is always warm is the kitchen.....luckily you can't turn the Aga off........thank goodness. But definately economising with the boiler. We just can't afford to run it as we would like :irked:.
We don't have gas here in the sticks.......so we have not heating choices, therefore cannot change providers etc.
I am wrapped up in several layers, I use a small electric fan heater in the office and take it into my salon room when I client comes, they have to be warm.
Keep warm with your woolies all Geek friends.
Lotsa luv x :hug: x

Im with Adele and Theresa, keep the heating on just turn the thermostat down a smidge.

TBH I can't do the cold, after all those ops a few years ago my spine hurts SO much if it gets cold, so my heating is staying on. I have compromised a little and started wearing more layers though so that the house doesn't have to be quite so hot........

I strategically place my kitten on my feet to keep them warm!

I strategically place my kitten on my feet to keep them warm!

Ooooooh... another good reason for hubby to buy me a dog :green:

oooo, and Selina Scott's socks are brilliant at keeping the tootsies cosy!

I just go outside lol. Its warmer out there than inside, when you live in Spain, these houses are made for cool!

Just out of curiousity, how cold is it in the UK at the moment?

It's 26 degrees here at the moment (8pm), so a fairly warm day.

I'm sure it costs more when you turn it on every time, to go through the system and warm it all up again. I cant live without heating i become a big grump if i'm cold.
I've turned the radiators off in every room im not using and keeping doors shut etc.
xxx

Just out of curiousity, how cold is it in the UK at the moment?

It's 26 degrees here at the moment (8pm), so a fairly warm day.

Hmph....

Well it's about 30 degrees where I'm sat :green: It was only about 2 degrees here in Manchester this time yesterday.

I am being more careful than i used to be....I don't have anything on standby...tv, microwave, oven, everything is switched off at the wall when not in use....all those little clocks and red lights on things cost money.

We switch the heating off as soon as the kids have gone bed...Rob never feels the cold and if i get chilly i just put a cardi on and snuggle up to Rob...why are men like walking radiators...:lol:

Im a bit off both, If im on my own this house is like a furnace if other half here its more like an ice rink as he is always HOT and complains about the bill.

Infact its probably why ive got flu at moment as I can wake up in night and my ears be numb from the cold as he has the f ing window open :irked::evil:

i am allways cold, i have the heating on all day if i am in...its the irish sea wind..bitter......brughhhhhh.
i will turn the heating off at night about 9 and i dont have the heating on timer to come on in the morning....or i wouldnt get up if it was too warm....
like angie at night or if i am college or go out....plugs are turned off everywhere exept the fridge....dont have things on standby at all...and i would rather watch tv in the dark than be cold in the day....so hopefully no eleccy evens out the gas bill a bit...i hope....

My heat is set at 58 (yep, that's not a typo) during the day and when I get home, I crank it up to a whopping 63 degrees for a few hours. Then before bedtime, back down to 58. I do save $$$ this way but I am FREEZING!!!!! :eek:

I have it on during the day and turn it off just after the girls go to bed, so they go up and nod off while it's still snug and warm.
Our bedroom seems to maintain the heat quite well, so we've never had a really cold bedroom when we go up.

My heat is set at 58 (yep, that's not a typo) during the day and when I get home, I crank it up to a whopping 63 degrees for a few hours. Then before bedtime, back down to 58. I do save $$$ this way but I am FREEZING!!!!! :eek:

So now forgive me for saying this but I HATE being cold and freezing to me is unbearable. So I have to ask.. if you're freezing then why bother having the heating on at all?? I know that you'd obviously be a lot colder if it was off completely but you're still paying something for your bills and yet you're still freezing so why pay anything for nothing iykwim? :)

My central heating is off and staying off,(its broke):irked:
but the gas fire in my living room is on almost full and i have my cosy pyjamas, big dressing gown, long socks and fluffy slippers on,
i have no intentions of leaving the house today other than to feed the dog so im not getting changed into cold day wear,
im staying in my cosy`s :lol:

Latest posts

Back