Do you soak or wrap to remove?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a wrapper. I use CND wraps or Magi foil wraps & CND nourishing remover. I did my initial training in 1992 & CND Shellac training last year.

Can't understand why anyone who is in charge of their own working practises would use anything other that what their particular system recommends.

I know D-solve removes Gelish, does the nourishing remover also remove Gelish?

Just wondered.

I did my mani training just over a year ago & trained in Shellac at sweet squared in August 2012. I always wrap using CND remover wraps or Magis Foil wraps. Wouldn't dream of doing it any other way. I had enhancements on over 10 years ago & hated having them soaked off!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

I did training & was told to soak cotton pads in acetone & then wrap with tin foil? I am redoing my Shellac training next week.. This time with CND!! 😆

Ive Been in the industry since 2010 and I have always wrapped - shellac, bio sculpture and Brisa.
Looks proffessional and does the job perfectly
Shellac remover has defiantly made a difference to my clients nails. Wouldn't use anything else now!

Old dog new tricks ??? Not everyone obviously...the nail technician I used to see used a bowl and didn't keep up with training and new products...i was lucky if my nails were to last a week and thought it was me! I have heard she only has a few clients now...pity

Update on my earlier post....I have been in the Nail business for 14 years.

Way back then L&P enhancements were always soaked off in acetone, in a bowl. Then we added another bowl full of hot water to speed things up....then handisoak bowls came along that made that process easier and look better. I still soak a full set of L&P this way but with Nourishing Remover and the odd removal I will use cotton and foil to wrap.

With the advent of Gel polish I have always use cotton and foil wraps, have tried Magis wraps but prefer hairdressers foil and cotton pads cut to size. Getting the hang of the CND wraps now, but this thread isn't about brands it is about soaking or wrapping no matter the type of wrap ;)

Amazing that everyone here agrees...so is it only non Geeks that are still soaking gel polish in bowls?

Due to personal reasons I have been off work since January, and some of my Gelish clients have been going elsewhere. A reputable salon that uses Gelish, so should be no problem I thought.
I am starting back at work next week, and I saw one of my regular clients nails yesterday when I was preparing my room. I was :eek:
This client came to me 15 months before and her nails were in a state, bacterial infections on a couple and the rest dry and brittle. She was at me every 2 weeks and before long her nails were the length she wanted good and strong, she loved them and the attention they brought her :)

This good salon she has been going to, filedher nails down short on her first appointment...to match them up ! And since then have plonked her nails in a bowl of acetone to remove the Gelish. I don't know (and don't want to know) what else they have done, but her nails are a disaster, short, split and peeling, this is a client who looks after her nails and they were always perfect when she came back to me after 2 weeks ......back to square one for me next week.
I dread to think how many others are going to come back to me in this sad condition.

There is no need for it!

I may have been about a long time, but I have always kept up to date, and updated my skills and I don't understand why others don't.

Wrap! Did my NVQ's 2004, did Bio training 2 years ago. Xx

You say some nail techs are still doing the same things as they did 20 yrs ago.

It might be because people get set in their ways, they get used to doing things in a particular way, some older people don't like change or new technology, it scares them. (not all older people might i add :biggrin:)

EG: It's like a lady in her 60's, still wearing the same make up as she did in the 60's/70's.
They find something they like and they stick with it.

Maybe?

Sure that's why they do it ... but although we all soaked L&P sets to remove (and I probably still would do it this way for that system) ... we only did it when necessary which was rarely whereas things have now changed and removing every 2-3 weeks by that method for gel manicures, should make it obvious to anyone in the business, is going to have a much more marked effect on skin and nails.

So people need to be willing to change for new treatments ... if Izzy can do it after 14 years and I can do it after 25 years then there is no excuse for anyone not to be moving forward and removing with safer methods. IMHO

Sure that's why they do it ... but although we all soaked L&P sets to remove (and I probably still would do it this way for that system) ... we only did it when necessary which was rarely whereas things have now changed and removing every 2-3 weeks by that method for gel manicures, should make it obvious to anyone in the business, is going to have a much more marked effect on skin and nails.

So people need to be willing to change for new treatments ... if Izzy can do it after 14 years and I can do it after 25 years then there is no excuse for anyone not to be moving forward and removing with safer methods. IMHO

Amen, no excuse at all. I am sick to the back teeth of having new clients dismiss Shellac saying "I can't have it as it makes my nails dry, peel and break" etc. Almost 100% of the time this is down to soaking and improper removal. The horror story's I've heard!

I have to admit, I love the way things are done in the US. It's my understanding that you have to be checked by CND that you are following every step to the letter before you are granted CND certification. I personally would welcome this here in the UK. Whether it would help with the problem of tech's soaking and improper removal - I don't know.

I would also love for us to be licensed here as they are in the US. Yes there would be a cost to us, yes it could be deemed as being a pain in the butt for some, but I do believe it would help our industry, as the pro's for it FAR out way the cons. I have only been in the industry since 2010 so I know I may be very naive.

xx

I have been qualified for about a year and I wrap. I wrap because that is what I was taught to do during my Shellac class and because they are branded CND. I like that my clients can see everything that I use is labeled CND so they know they are getting what they pay for.

13 years and I wrap, it's the way I was taught with biosculpture and now do it with shellac and opi. Never used bowls but have been asked why I don't by clients who have been elsewhere.

it is time we addressed the issue of product removal for gel services and Wrapping off products as opposed to soaking them off in bowls of Acetone!!

Which do you do and why do you choose to do one as opposed to the other? And one further question ... How long have you been in the industry? X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I wrap using the foil wraps from s2, I wrap because it was the way I was taught and I would be embarrassed to ask anyone to pop there hands in bowls of acetone

Been in the industry one year.

I wrap using the foil wraps from s2, I wrap because it was the way I was taught and I would be embarrassed to ask anyone to pop there hands in bowls of acetone

Been in the industry one year.

P's. Had a lady contact me yesterday for a shellac app... she asked if I could remove her existing shellac and if I filled it off :-o

I've been in industry 13 years and was taught to soak. CND training on L&P. I then trained in bio sculpture to add to my services and was taught to wrap. That was 8 years ago and haven't looked back. I wrap L&P, gel and shellac. In my opinion it works well for all 3. Less messy, no waste of product. I moved with the times :))

I wrap. Ive been in the industry 11 years now.
I have also had clients ask why I'm wrapping them and also clients who say they have had their shellac buffed off before!
I don't know if it makes any difference but I do attend courses regularly. I like to keep up to date with everything and refeesh my knowledge. I think you can never learn enough and I always, always learn something new :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I've been in industry 13 years and was taught to soak. CND training on L&P. I then trained in bio sculpture to add to my services and was taught to wrap. That was 8 years ago and haven't looked back. I wrap L&P, gel and shellac. In my opinion it works well for all 3. Less messy, no waste of product. I moved with the times :))

I still soak off L&P because I rarely have to do it and it is quicker to do so. But I'd never do it every two weeks!! Acetone is not the devil in liquid form you know. Acetone is a perfectly safe chemical and it has worked perfectly well in the salon for 35 years in moderation and still will.

I have trained 2 years ago and always wrap as that's what I learned on the course. Never tried soaking although some of my new clients do say that when they have been going elswhere before they had to soak

It is an NVQ HABIA requirement to perform a manual removal and a chemical removal. The chemical removal or soak off tends to be used when covering L&P and manual of buffing off for gels. HABIA tend to be rather slow off the mark when updating techniques/services. I personally also show my students the wrap removal method explaining the benefits. I have been practicing nails since 2008. I am Calgel and Shellac trained

It depends which system I'm working with.

For shellac and brisa lite, it's a no-brainer: it's part of the system to wrap. Not to mention that it looks 100% more professional which in turn sets me apart from my competition. To do otherwise is to do yourself, and the product, a disservice. Why on earth NOT abide by manufacturers instructions? They're there for a reason, not to cause you 'inconvenience' :lol: However, as is always the case, people will continue to stubbornly do as they always have done, because it worked for them before. Or they won't do the training as they think they don't need it.

For l&p, as previously stated, I would still soak as it happens so infrequently.

The nail and beauty industry is an amazing one to be a part of - the innovations come thick and fast and it's a case of keep up or get out. What was recommended practice 25 years ago may no longer be appropriate or may be much more difficult than the new methods available to us these days. Just think, if there were no changes, we'd have no gels, no semi-permanent polishes, eyelash extensions, spray tans.... and we'd still be re-using hot wax :eek:

I've been working in the industry since 2001.

Well there's been 1479 views but only 58 replies so lets hope that the other 1421 geeks all wrap or if they didn't they will now after reading this thread and realizing how important it is.

Latest posts

Back