Do you wear gloves when waxing ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you wear gloves when waxing ?

• Yes

Votes: 78 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 60 30.3%
  • Sometimes, depending on area waxing

Votes: 60 30.3%

• Total voters
Just dug this out from HABIA's draft Code of Practice for Waxing Services for the UK, which is in the process of being finalised: "A new pair of disposable gloves should be applied immediately before each waxing service..." Note that this is a draft document and may well change before the final version.

Also this from the FHT's Industry Code of Practice (5th Edition): "In view of the potential of serum discharge on hair removal, it is necessary that all wax treatments be undertaken using disposable surgical type gloves..."

As it currently stands in the UK, I suspect the final say on gloves in some parts of the country may even be governed by what your local council/ health authority deems appropriate. My local authority does not insist on gloves, for example.

It's worth bearing in mind through all of this, however, that the inproper use of gloves renders them next to pointless from a hygiene point of view anyway - e.g. putting them on too soon and proceeding to transfer micro-organisms between everything you touch, failing to wash your hands before and after use, incorrect removal after use, etc etc. Something for those of us who love our gloves to think about! :D

I also wanted to add... I don't think that most people are aware, but your basic disposable gloves that we buy from our beauty supply store actually have microscopic holes in them (only nitrile gloves do not). Something to think about.

Our local council do not require that we wear them and I am happy with the way I do things and at the moment I have no intention,unless the laws change,of wearing them.

The gloves we have are not sterile anyway so care would definately have to be taken when choosing what gloves were worn in your treatments,if you decided to wear them.

Our college does not teach that we should wear them throughout all waxing procedures only areas that have blood spotting as already pointed out.

I am more than happy with my hygiene and so are my clients who have been coming back for many years with no adverse reaction as a result of me not wearing gloves.They trust me and my standards.

I rarely touch an area that I have just waxed over anyway, so see gloves of no significance.JMH0:)

Hi
We were told to ALWAYS wear gloves no matter what area we were waxing at college. I think it looks more proffesional for one thing and for another - look at it from the hygiene point of view.

Best of luck
Venetia :)

I do sugaring and I don't wear gloves, I always wash my hands and then use Cool blue to sanitize them. Do any other sugaring geeks wear gloves?

I am a sugaring practitioner also and don't wear gloves. I have such small hands that even the small size gloves are too big for me and I just can't work effectively with them on. I am so used to working without now that if there was a glove small enough for me that I would wear them anyway.

Hi,

I only ever wear gloves for doing intimate waxing, but not for other areas.

I just find that I get myself into a really sticky mess when using gloves and my hands start to sweat like there is no tomorrow. With the consequence being that I need to change my gloves 3 - 4 times just for doing a leg wax !

I am also a Sugaring Practitioner, and to be honest, I don't know how you would use paste sugar whilst wearing gloves. Having said that, I've never tried, but imagine that it won't be as effective.......

Whilst doing my course at college, we never wore gloves either. When the EV came to do her inspection, we wore gloves (just in case !) and the EV said it wasn't necessary ......

Marlise

Just wanted to add, this is a realy interesting thread, I only do nails and my reply earlier was from the point of view of a client, I rented a table in a tattoo and piercing salon and none of the emplyee's would have worked with out gloves, because of the possible contact with blood. My reply was not ment to be "rude" as the anonamous person who left me a neg rep has said, it was ment to show a 'jo public' gut reaction to this side of the industry and my personal awareness of the risk of blood related infections/contamination. I have been waxed by someone without gloves and have to say that given a choice I would go to someone who did wear gloves.
But then I prefer to buy my fresh made sandwiches from someone who wears gloves............. Is that rude to? Or is it just an awareness of how germs are spread?

Just wanted to add, this is a realy interesting thread, I only do nails and my reply earlier was from the point of view of a client, I rented a table in a tattoo and piercing salon and none of the emplyee's would have worked with out gloves, because of the possible contact with blood. My reply was not ment to be "rude" as the anonamous person who left me a neg rep has said, it was ment to show a 'jo public' gut reaction to this side of the industry and my personal awareness of the risk of blood related infections/contamination. I have been waxed by someone without gloves and have to say that given a choice I would go to someone who did wear gloves.
But then I prefer to buy my fresh made sandwiches from someone who wears gloves............. Is that rude to? Or is it just an awareness of how germs are spread?

As a body piercer... I must point out that there is a big difference between a tattoo artist or piercer's need to wear gloves and an esthetician wearing gloves. Piercers and tattoo artists are using needles to puncture the skin of the client. And they can be at risk of pricking themselves. Also... Germs being present from airborn or cross contamination cause problems with the healing of tattoos and piercings. Thus making gloves an absolute must. This is not a concern with waxing.

hi
im currently training in waxing and we are taught to wear gloves in case of cross infection from blood spotting
but it all depends on what feel comfortable to you cus wearing gloves can gert pretty messy.
xxkirstxx

I agree wit Huberella,piercing and tattooing without gloves and waxing without gloves are 2 very seperate issues.

It is your choice if you go to a therapist that wears gloves but the majority dont,reason being is we dont need to and we dont have to,whereas body piercers and tattoo artists do need to and are instructed to do so for their health and safety and the safety of their clients.

Halo! At College when i first started learning about waxing I was told we had to wear gloves when waxing any body part because of bloodspots. When I did my leg waxing assessment I wore gloves but my tutor told me to take them off because they were getting in the way. But when doing a bikini or underarm wax I always wear gloves.

Halo! At College when i first started learning about waxing I was told we had to wear gloves when waxing any body part because of bloodspots. When I did my leg waxing assessment I wore gloves but my tutor told me to take them off because they were getting in the way. But when doing a bikini or underarm wax I always wear gloves.

Exactly what I was taught:lol:

I was taught to wear gloves for intimate areas & areas were blood spotting may occur. I usually wear gloves though for all waxing treatments especailly when my exzcema is flaring up on my hands as they can bleed. :( :) Find they can be a pain though as the slightest drip of waxing on them & you get all sticky which makes things harder!! Also can be a problem as you have to check the client isn't allergic to them before the treatment.

Hi there I always were gloves when I wax my cleints not only for hygiene purposes but the darn wax is soooooooo sticky it's annoying. :green:

When I was at college (around 1994), we weren't taught to use gloves for waxing & so I have never used them since. The only treatments I wear gloves for are electrolysis & fake tans. Should I be doing intimate waxing I would imagine I would wear gloves, but I don't offer this service anyway.

I wear gloves for intimate waxing but not for anything else. I hate gloves i've tried many different ones and i can't get them to fit my hands, I would much rather do my hollywoods with bare hands but i don't think my clients would be too chuffed it personally doesn't bother me.

I also wouldn't mind my own therapist using bare hands for my hollywood, what ever is easiest for her to do a great job!

Im newly qualified & we WERE taught to wear gloves when waxing, though I have to say, I dont like wearing them!

I wear shocking pink nitrile gloves for intimate waxing and that's about it. All my other waxing I do with no gloves.

If my hands get sticky I just clean up with a touch of oil... its quick and stops the stickiness straight away.

If a client got a fair amount of blood spotting on their chest or back etc ... I would put on my gloves then.

I wear shocking pink nitrile gloves for intimate waxing and that's about it. All my other waxing I do with no gloves.

Hey, where do you get those??!!! I want some!!

I always wear gloves for all my waxing treatments. I wasn't taught to wear gloves at all at college, and I didn't wear them for my first year or so in industry, but I do feel it makes life easier as there's no "clean-up" operation afterwards!! I also agree with some other comments on here, that I feel it makes me seem more professional to my client, and it gives me peace of mind.

I tried waxing with latex gloves, it doesn't work!!! Vinyl or Nitrile are best. (Hence my NEED to find out about these pink ones!!) XXX

when i trained some years ago we had to wear gloves but they were the awful latex ones and i couldnt get on with them at all. i then changed to vinyl and they were no better. im now in love with my nitrile ones and about to order some cool purple ones. i like pink but prefer purple so thats what im going for.

i wear gloves for bikini waxing but for the rest of the body i dont.

Latest posts

Back