First complaint... did I do the right thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

CND EA. Essie Spokesperson
Reaction score
Ok before I burst into tears I need to know if I did the right thing or not ..

A lovely customer I have has been coming since May, she works down the road in a dept. store- shes had no problems at all and was always happy with the nails as far as I know, once she left her app until 5 weeks and basically needed a new set and because she was a good customer I didnt charge her for a new set but instead the normal rebalance price. That was on the 2.10 - on the 17.10 she comes into the shop and shows her nails - I was not there - she showed my colleague - granted they were all strange and lifted - in fact they looked like they were cracking, like something had gotten under the material.. dont know ...OK so my colleague says that because it was only 2 weeks that she would only charge 20€ to fix it on that day. She couldnt make it that day but instead waited another week and so it was 3 weeks in total since the new set. I rang her when I got back to speak to her in person - we had our appointment -Today is the 24.10

Yes, the nails looked dreadful - but we went through everything together as to what could have happened, was there any medical grounds as to why the nails would lift, hormonal changes, pregnancy, sunbeds within 24 hours, using chemicals, could it have been on my side? did I change any of my materials, methods etc.. neither of us could come up with anything... so I took everything off and did another full set - and only charged her 50% of a rebalance which was 30€.
I asked if she thought that was fair - she said yes , I asked sure? She said yes. So I cashed the bill up - she even tipped me. I took a long time checking if everything was perfect and really did a lovely job of her new nails.

Next thing I know her boyfriend has come into the shop - I asked him to sit down, he refused....telling me its not on, and that she should not have to pay anything, that if anything she should only have to pay half of my Cost price and not the sale price! Because he pays for the nails and in thats the way business is done here.

I listened and listened and thanked him for taking the time to come in and talk to me, and then explained my decision, that it was three weeks since the last refill which there also was a discount given because her last fill in was 5 weeks -he continued - I tried to do the Math for him that price divided by 3 (weeks) x 2 (weeks) was more than 50% - he then asked what I was going to do about it , I explained that I think that how I handled it was fair , we both (my client and I) agreed that it was and that unfortunately I couldnt help him further. Hes furious then threatens his brother (lawyer) then says hes going to go further and check my websites and that hes going to tell everyone about this and that its not correct. He said that I would be out of business within the year!

He leaves then calls me later saying that if hormones could change the length of stay of the nails then she should have been told before and not after .. I explained that is why we have Client cards and we do go through everything with the customer the first time.

Im upset... I am but Im not hysterical, I know this things will happen but what I would like to know is how would you have handled this? I mean I dont want anyone to agree with the way I handled this if they dont. My feeling was that my contract was with the client (the lady) but not with the boyfriend.... we made a deal , she agreed to the deal and I cashed up, gave her a file and a free breast cancer pink ribbon soap - we shook hands and I let her know that she could call me if anything happened. If she had come back then I would have probably given her the difference in vouchers if she herself had said that she felt done wrong by...but then that is not necessarily right either is it?

What are your thoughts on this?

thanks for taking the time to respond:hug:

Cait x

Hi Hun,
I think you handled this very well. I think I would have lost my temper with him.........I know that would not be professional :irked:.......As you said your dealings, customer contract, or what ever you wish to call it was with the lady not her boyfriend.
I am glad you have stood your ground.........maybe he is one of those controlling types :eek:..........feel sorry for her having to put up with him, but you certainly don't have to. :lol:
I really think you handled it the best way you could, even possibly very generously.
Good luck hun, keep going, sounds like you are doing a great job. :hug:
Lotsa Luv x :hug:

very difficult situation. i think what you did sounds fair.
trouble is with nails, you cant possibly know for sure what th client is doing with them when you arent around, so its not possible to give any guarantees.

Oh my God.. I can't believe that happened to you.. that's terrible.
I think you were very professional and fair about the whole thing. Who's to say she didn't do something to the nails herself to make them lift (we all know what clients are like about fibbing) and they way I see it, is that she was quite happy to agree the price with you (I would have charged for a full set after 5 weeks in the first place).. I mean she even gave you a tip so it's the boyfriend with the problem, not your client and it's absolutely NOTHING to do with him.. how dare he?.. he's a bully!.. don't give it another thought, you totally did the right thing in my opinion .. now open a bottle of wine and enjoy your weekend chick x

I did think you handled it well too.

When you think about it though you shouldn't speak to anyone else about a client's treatment. You could have said to him that you were not willing to speak to him about it but if the client came back in herself you would be willing to discuss further. That may have then put the ball in her court to come back to you.

Certainly I wouldn't like it if someone's boyfriend came in and complained on her behalf. The deal was with her and not him.

Yes, sit down relax and have a nice glass of vino!

You dealt with your client very generously and im sure she was more than happy with how she was treated (i would have charged full price after 5 weeks),
as for the boyfriend i would have asked him to leave the salon and take his bully boy tactics with him.
I have had a similar experience where i did a set of nails for a girl in her late twenties, then later i had her mother in the salon shouting the odds and demanding a refund on behalf of her daughter,
i told her she was not getting a refund full stop and asked her to leave the salon immediately, she left while still shouting and carrying on, with me quietly walking her to the door,
then i phoned the client and told her that her mother had been in and if she had a problem with her nails i would appreciate it if she could tell me herself,
she said her nails were fine and she didn't even know her mother was coming to the salon.
Don't worry hun you handled it fine :hug:

After 5 weeks I would have been charging the full price.
2 wks £20
3 wks £25
4 wks £30
5 wks £35 which is my full price for extensions.
I would absolutely not discuss anyones nails with anyone else, full stop. How rare is his behaviour, right cheek! How dare he! You handled the situation very well and have been very fair and professional, now you need to stop beating yourself up.
I think I would now leave it for the week-end and then I would give her a call come tuesday and explain your prices to her. Some people are so nice to your face but it is obvious that she was not happy and had relayed this to her boy-freind. If you would not be comfortable with that I would post her your price list (make sure that it clearly states your prices and that all repairs and replacement nails must be paid for).
God I feel sorry for you! :)

I feel for you that this happened, and it sounds like you conducted yourself extremely well. It sounds like a very unpleasant experience.

I hope you are feeling ok about it now. What you have to keep in mind is that what happened is in fact nothing whatsoever to do with you or the nails. He is simply a bully and today he decided to pick on you. I don't think it was personal to you at all, he is just a tw*t who likes to cause a scene. I feel sorry for the girl too. (How terrible for her that he did this!)

Bless you. I think you dealt with the situation really well. Good for you for not backing down. Some people are so annoying. Have a nice relaxing weekend hun x

Thanks guys,
you're right - have had a glass of wine and relaxed a little

I think you are also right about charging the full price after 5 weeks too but you know she has been with me since I opened practically and she works on the street and well ...yeah...maybe Im a bit soft too...! Still I hate the thought of someone avoiding me or feeling embarassed as she really is a lovely lady....

Cheers y'all - thanks for taking the time to respond

Cait x

Last edited:
That was on the 2.10 - on the 17.10 she comes into the shop and shows her nails - I was not there - she showed my colleague - granted they were all strange and lifted - in fact they looked like they were cracking, like something had gotten under the material.. dont know ...

I think you have two situations the first re: 5 weeks rebalance and the above I quote... Im just a newbie at nails and only can talk of the experience ive had a customer... but IMO after 15 days the above shouldnt of happened.. something went wrong product or prep??? If the first situation did not happen do you think you would of handled the situation differently?

As far as the mental boyfriend... Im sure his brother is a lawyer ???? And he pays for the nails thats a bit 1950's okay ill stop! Dont worry about it.. I doubt you'll see either again unless they satisfaction. If you want to keep the client I would offer her a free rebalance and maybe some nice hand lotion but do you want to keep her is the question.

People always say im going to close you down within the year and tell everyone about you but its then that will suffer for treating u this way trust me xxxxxxxxxxxx love 2 u xx

Its like going to a restaurant eating the whole of your steak and then complaining it was tough!!
I think you have handled the situation amazingly well....please don't have a sleepless night over it, I think the boyfriend is the one with the problem and is just an out and out bully boy!

Let me remind you that no matter how hard you try in life you will NEVER keep everybody happy. Yes you should have charged for a full set after five weeks. I'm wondering what age group this couple fell into though thats no excuse he sounds very immature. You stand your ground, and don't let people like him push you around. Some people can read soft people like a book and really know how to push their buttons and take advantage of them. You really don't know what she may have said to him about you and the nails you did on her behind closed doors leading up to the appointment. Just because she is "nice" to your face doesn't always equal happy. She may just not have been able to really tell you what she thought of her recent nails. I specialize in nails and its a hard job at times but i always try my best. But sometimes a client thats never had any trouble just does now and then and thats just nails. I learnt the hard way and made up at home care sheets do's and don'ts to cover my bum. One guy is not going to hurt your business. Carry on as usual because unfortunetly there will be more where he came from. And you make sure you stop being so generous! Good luck! xxx

Think I may just drop in an envelope with a 20€ voucher where she works and a note asking her to pop in personally so that we can work it out.

I don't think I should give money back, I think by approaching her I have taken away his power and anyways shes not going to be allowed to come to the shop again by him, but at least shell know there is no hard feelings between us. Hes a bully who didnt get his way and I suppose in the end I can comfort myself in the fact that it was really just like a 40 year old man coming into my shop and demanding 30 € nwhich I refused as he was no customer of mine!

Ive stopped beating myself up about it but you know Im not good at confrontation and it kind of unsettles me for a while when something like that happens...

Thanks again guys, its lovely to have somewhere to turn to on occassions like these - hopefully Ill be able to return in kind where needed

Cait xx

Just my humble opinion but I don't think you should give her a voucher. I don't think there's any harm in making contact but giving her something might make you look a bit desperate to have her back and it won't necessarily make any difference to whether she comes back or not. She probably wants to come back, voucher or no voucher, but she may not be allowed to come back.

There is also a possibility that she totally accepts what he has done, along the lines of, it's deeply embarrassing but I love him and he takes care of me, so it's ok :eek:

There's nowt as funny as folk.

Please don't drop a voucher in as it could be seen as an admission of liability. You have been more than fair, her boyfriend was out of order and had verbally abused you threatened you with legal action and also promised to destroy your business within a year.

Stop dealing with them, if she comes back refer her to a different tech and say you feel sad things have got to this stage but enough is enough. Also if she comes back make a note of the conversation so if he does try any action you can argue she obviously wasn't unhappy with you work so no case to answer.

Think I may just drop in an envelope with a 20€ voucher where she works and a note asking her to pop in personally so that we can work it out.

I don't think I should give money back, I think by approaching her I have taken away his power and anyways shes not going to be allowed to come to the shop again by him, but at least shell know there is no hard feelings between us. Hes a bully who didnt get his way and I suppose in the end I can comfort myself in the fact that it was really just like a 40 year old man coming into my shop and demanding 30 € nwhich I refused as he was no customer of mine!

Ive stopped beating myself up about it but you know Im not good at confrontation and it kind of unsettles me for a while when something like that happens...

Thanks again guys, its lovely to have somewhere to turn to on occassions like these - hopefully Ill be able to return in kind where needed

Cait xx

I agree with the others about not offering her a voucher hun. I feel you have done more than enough for her. You handled things very well and I would forget about the boyfriend spouting off what he did. You have it all on record on her client card. :hug:

Its a horrible situation but it happens. Please do not give her a voucher as you are admitting that something was wrong. You gave her a fair price and have done all you can. Maybe she'll come back maybe she wont do not beat yourself up about it.

OK fair enough...
I understand what your saying
no vouchers then.. Ill just leave it be and smile and say hello if I see her next - thats all I can do

lovely weekend all

xxxx Cait xx

Latest posts

Back