Head lice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suze@junction

Reaction score
went to my sons primary 1 'meet the teachers' meeting last night. one of the topics discussed was head lice to be told that it is no onger policy or 'politically correct' to send out the anonomous letters to the class if a child has head lice, also that the parents don't have to notify the school if their child has them.

does anyone else thimk this is crazy or am I just over reacting!!!!!! :mad:

i know , sadly, i think its because its always the same children that cause the spread , some parents treat their children while others ,well dont regardless of letters . its best to be vigilant and not wait for the school to tell you ,then at least you know youve done your bit

that is just ridiculous, it was anonomys anyway. . . would they rather have the whole school riddled wit nits? ah well if i was u i would be complaining and checkin my kids head every 2nd week on a sunday night LOL xx

i would complain........ 1. i don't want my son catching them
2. if he does and then brings them home to me:eek:
I CAN NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!! i can't be passing them on to clients!!!!!!!!

it's not the bloody lergy!!!! just tell us, it's just common manners. you's have to tell us if they has chicken pox and i think it's as bad!!!

My kids started a new school nov last year and been riddled every week with them. I do their hair every week which is blinkin time consuming! Only for them to get them again!

I have written to the school and they won't do jack!

Now I have found some great products that have cleared it up over the holidays and a repellant spray that works.

And on the point they are just nits...... Yes they are but they inject a chemical into your scalp to number the area they wish to feed from. Enough of this will send you crazy hence the term 'nit wit' and 'feely lousy' (Louse) come from.

You would think by now they would be eradicated or that we can put little serums on the back if kids necks to stop the lice feeding like bob martins :lol:!

Kate

Not sure if this will help anyone, but my daughter used to get it all the time from school. I used comb through her hair every week to keep the buggers in control.

But then I found a solution. I put a few drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle and spray my daughters hair with it every morning while I tie her hair up. Since then, I never saw another egg again...!!

I'm not sure what it is about tea tree oil, but I think it's the smell that the buggers don't like. Whatever the reason, I am relieved to have found a solution to such a horrible problem.

But then I found a solution. I put a few drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle and spray my daughters hair with it every morning while I tie her hair up. Since then, I never saw another egg again...!!

I'm not sure what it is about tea tree oil, but I think it's the smell that the buggers don't like. Whatever the reason, I am relieved to have found a solution to such a horrible problem.

I have been doing this since Preschool and also during T-ball season (they share helmets).

I use a spray bottle with water in it (about ummmm 6oz?) and add approximately 5 - 8 drops of Tea Tree OIl and about 4 Lavender oil. Apparently the critters don't like that either.
I spray that every morning when I'm doing their ponytails or braids.
Never had a single little critter on my girls THANKFULLY (have you SEEN their hair!!!! Waistlength. aaackkkk:eek:)

I'm convinced it works because in kindergarten for my eldest, during that year, there was 6 outbreaks in HER CLASS ALONE, never mind the rest of the school. And she never got it. She just started grade 2 and after 4yrs of schooling, has never had them. (2yrs Pre-K, 1yr Kindy, 1y Grade 1)

Prevention is worth a pound of cure, or something like that?
I don't pay the notices any mind and don't think they're all that important.

WHY?
Half the time kids contract them from one another BEFORE the teacher's even see them. Closing the barn door AFTER the horse is out is pointless.
We should be checking for them ourselves, BEFORE we receive notices.
So, if you take preventative action, you should be fine.

hth's

the easiest way to get rid of them.......
1. Shave one half of the head
2. Set the other half on fire
3. When the nits run into the clearing , hit them over the head with a stick

It would probably work, but of course I am pulling your leg (or your finger).:)

thankyou victoria my auntie sprayed me with a mixture just like that when i was 15 doing work experiace at a first school where kids had it so bad you could see them crawling over the kids hair, parents wouldnt do anything and school couldnt do anything!! but using the spray i never got them but the other work experiance girls did.

Try it geeks its amazing, im off to make some up:)

LMFAO
:lol:

Oh my gosh, you just kill me sometimes, Carl LOL
Thanks!! Needed that this morning.
:green:

(PS: in my family, if you pull someone's finger, they usually toot hehehe)

My little ones school has the same internal policy of not sending letters out any more - it isn't a compulsory policy though and each school has a CHOICE whether they send letters out of not.

My daughter has a very sensitive scalp so I am limited to how often I can do her hair with chemical treatments - from Christmas last year to the start of the summer holidays, we have had at least 6 sessions of trying to eradicate the little blighters :( She cries her heart out and it got so bad that we even had her waist length hair cut to her shoulders to make it easier for us and her to manage.

In the end, I went into the school and "asked" to see the headmaster ( other parents have been in and been fobbed off with a phone call back from the school nurse). ?He sent the deputy head out who, unfortunately for her, got the brunt of my annoyance.

I basically told her that if something wasn't done within the school and if letters weren't made part of the school policy that I would be removing my chidren and writing some letters of my own - to the local press and the local Office of Education!

Needless to say, a letter was out within 48 hours of my seeing her.

It has taken the whole of the 6 week holidays, a £10 egg removal comb and a LOT of tears for my daughter and patience on my part to finally clear her hair totally as I could not use another lotion on her head due to it being so sore :(

If she comes home with them again I may cry myself though :(

Thats funny :lol::lol::lol:!

I might print this off and stick it on the school gate.... anonomously of course !

This does seem to be an ongoing problem and I'm sure it wasn't this bad when I was younger. I am lucky my kids are older but I do remember always telling my huggie youngest not to hug her friends. This is not government policy not to inform parents but the over zealous politically correct army. Anything to make the life of parents harder! :irked:

Tea tree is fabulous as a repellent but do remember not to use it on asthmatics, anyone who suffers with chest problems or eczema suffers as this can aggravate their illnesses or induce an asthma attack.

I try to get my clients to avoid the chemical treatments as they only at best kill the lice but normally just stun them and never kill the eggs. Wet combing each and everyday I found was a good solution when my daughter was younger. Time consuming but effective.

I have some of that home made repellent spray so going to start using it me thinks!

(and I too have thought of shaving their heads - sick of combing it every few days and applying goo every week!)

Why dont the school use repellent themselves like repelling the dirty kids over to social services for neglect!

People should be ashamed of themselves as nits were never this rife when I was a kid! I got them once and once only!

Head Lice (Pediculosis) Symptoms, Signs, Home Remedies, Prevention and Treatment on MedicineNet.com

Best Way - Head Lice Cure | eHow.com

http://oldsite.fairytaleshaircare.com/facts_of_lice_brochure.pdf

There is apparently no truth to "dirty kids" being the cause of head lice.
HOWEVER... parents that fail to treat the infestation properly and COMPLETELY (maybe they skipped steps??).... are usually more at fault.

To be rid of head lice, not only must the hair be treated BUT ALSO all the bedding, teddy bears, clothing (hats and jackets), sofas, carpetting, etc... Anywhere that they can hide between 'travels' from one head to another.

hth's

my mother in law used to rinse with vinegar as the old wives tail says the acidity repels the lice. that was done weekly and nonw of her children had nits, however do like vinegar

i also read that teatree and lavender in water and vodka is the herbal remedy i wouldnt be so keen on that just teatree and water!!

are there any hairdressers who would know if there are any reasons to not use these remedies?? (eg excema, or acidity of vinegar?)

My oldest daughter has a bad bought in pre-K, multiple bottles of that lice shapoo didn't work, so finally I tried Mayonnaise as several people told me this works (nurse at the Dr's office and a teacher at the pre-K)

It worked. Load up the hair goopy and thick in mayo, cover with a plastic bag and let it sit for a few hours. Then get out your comb and remove all nits. One treatment she was clear, but the nit picking took hours. I had a girlfriend help me pick them out :eek:

Never again, I love the tea tree and lavender idea, I will be for SURE using this method this year. I have been using the "tight ponytail" and thus far it has worked. However, my (almost ) 4 year old, who starts Jr Kinder this Sept... well she has very very long hair and our school always sends out lice letters, I got 4 or 5 letters last year for oldest daughter's classroom! If our littlest got lice in that long beautiful hair of hers... oh that I'd cry myself to sleep over.

My daughter only ever had them once in her long curly hair :mad:.
I was told that a few drops of geranium oil in the final rinse of hair washing would keep the little critters away.
I did this throughout her schooldays and never had the problem again, even though the rest of the class was crawling with them.
:hug:

geranium and teatree in a water spray...it all stops once the go to high school...well my boys not had them scince primary and my youngest not scince he was about 6..but a number 1 clipper job all over sorted that out pmsl

Latest posts

Back