OMG I had the worst evening!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurpakpink

Reaction score
:cry:

Hi everyone....needed to off load to you lot...

Last night I had one of my friends for a manicure, I placed a towel over her dining table and got to work...45 minutes later after completing the treatment I packed everything up and went to lift the towel of the table and........it was stuck!.........after giving it a little pull I took a patch of varnish of with it!! OMG!!! I have been racking my brains all night to think what could of done it - the only two things I can think of is Nail Varnish Remover (Which I don't think would of damaged the table in the way it did) or Cuticle Remover (which I think is the obvious answer) BUT....how it happend I DON'T KNOW!!! I didn't spill anything, I had a towel protecting the table. The one only thing I can think of is if there was cuticle remover on a cotton pad and the cotton pad was lying on the towel and i've lent on it and it's seeped through?!?!? I left her house in a right state, she was lovely and said don't worry about it but I could tell she was upset as was I (still am) to make things worse it's only 6 months old...terrific! I have told her I want to pay for the damage and to get quote. I got in the car and cried my eyes out....I feel so bad about the whole thing, I also said I can understand if you don't want your regular manicure anymore but she told me to stop being so silly and it's no ones fault and these things happen.

Sorry it's so long but I had to get it all out. Thanks for listening
:sad: x

these things do happen, and i hope u feel better for just off loading...i know it always helps me.

it sounds like ur friend was very understanding, uv offered to put right, and thats all u can do, maybe next time just incase put two towels down or a plastic sheet inbetween a folded one just to ensure it never happens again.

what about getting her some flowers as way of an apology whilst the table gets sorted?? just a thought

these things do happen, and i hope u feel better for just off loading...i know it always helps me.

it sounds like ur friend was very understanding, uv offered to put right, and thats all u can do, maybe next time just incase put two towels down or a plastic sheet inbetween a folded one just to ensure it never happens again.

what about getting her some flowers as way of an apology whilst the table gets sorted?? just a thought

Thanks - Flowers are a wonderful idea, i'll order her some now. x

The very slightest amount of acetone could lift the varnish from a table - it is after all varnish remover. Even if there was some on the bottom of your bottle, this could have caused this problem.

Check with your insurance as this should be covered.

I dont do mobile now but when I did I used a plastic backed mat which I placed on the table and then my towel.

You need to put on a business head here and although she was a friend she should still not have her table damaged by having a treatment done in her house.

Poor you!! What an awful thing to have happened.

This is why you have insurance ... use it.

Everyone who goes mobile should make sure they have adequate protection under the towel by way of a thick plastic backed or rubber sheet of some sort so this kind of accident can never happen.

On the funny side ... sort of .. now it is anyway ... I remember a technician wanting to sue my company because she had removed a client's nail enhancements .. thrown the remover into the client's sink and it had MELTED the surface of the plastic sink!!

Her argument to me was that it didn't state on the bottle that you couldn't throw it down the sink!! Man .. I told her she should know how to dispose of the chemicals she worked with and that correct disposal was taught on day one of all our classes (and I had the paper work to prove it). I told her it doesn't state on the bottle not to wash your hair in it but hopefully she would know that wasn't a good idea for her hair. Nail enhancements are plastic so was the sink .. duh!!! She never pursued the claim!! :lol:

Everyone who goes mobile should make sure they have adequate protection under the towel by way of a thick plastic backed or rubber sheet of some sort so this kind of accident can never happen.

On the funny side ... sort of .. now it is anyway ... I remember a technician wanting to sue my company because she had removed a client's nail enhancements .. thrown the remover into the client's sink and it had MELTED the surface of the plastic sink!!

Her argument to me was that it didn't state on the bottle that you couldn't throw it down the sink!! Man .. I told her she should know how to dispose of the chemicals she worked with and that correct disposal was taught on day one of all our classes (and I had the paper work to prove it). I told her it doesn't state on the bottle not to wash your hair in it but hopefully she would know that wasn't a good idea for her hair. Nail enhancements are plastic so was the sink .. duh!!! She never pursued the claim!! :lol:

That story cheered me up Gigi - thanks!
I guess that you learn from your mistakes etc and will be taking extra extra protection in the future - will ALL treatments!!
:hug:

Not a nice feeling....I once knocked over a bottle of remover, luckily we where working on her ironing board so cheep to replace although she insisted i didn't replace it as it was only the cover and was very old and tatty anyway....i still felt bad though. Thing is we very nearly did use her dining table and i am so glad we didn't.

Its one of those things that can happen...but usually only once, the feeling we are left with is so bad we never do it again...:lol:....so on the positive side, your one time only is done now and wont happen again....:hug:

Happened to me too - in exactly the same way.

I had just gone mobile - was my first client mobile and she was having a full set of nails.

She wanted a colour on - then decided she didn't like the colour and we changed it - it was the polish remover on the cotton pad and I had leaned on and it went through the towel.

Gutted.:irked:

I had been gushing that I was only going to be at the house for an hour and a half and be leaving with same money I would get for a full day in a salon.

I ended up walking away with nothing - as I couldn't possibly charge her for it. She wasn't pleased either but I never heard from her again.

I went home and cried my eyes out.

If I use a clients table - I use loads of towels over place mats. Each used wipe is carefully disposed of.

So I know exactly how your feeling right now.

i dont do too much mobile but i always panic at the thought of spilling something ! i have just thought, some where in the back of my airing cupboard i, sure i still have one of those terry towling pillow cases, i think i might dig it out and use that under a towel ( gonna test it first to check it wont melt it !)

:lol: Oh that brought back some memories ................... Was doing my friend (and trusted hand model)'s nails and I usually have plastic backed sheets, for some reason I didnt and spilled for the first and LAST time my monomer. It stank! we tried to clean it up and I thought I was fine but when I was packing up I noticed that half the table was shiny the other half was matt!!! :eek::eek: Her Mum went mad (after I'd left) I felt so bad and she didnt want me to claim so I bought her a bottle of wine and she was cool. When I opened my salon and told my friend her Mum grabbed the phone and said jokingly 'well done, in a couple of years you'll get my bill for a new table!! havent been round there since!! :lol:
Dont worry it happens all the time!

Poor you!:hug: So far I haven't had any accidents like this, which is weird because I'm really clumsy.

If you have a fabric shop near you get an off-cut of plastic backed material. It's dirt cheap and you can get it in colours to match your towels, etc. That's what I use and it does help to give you peace of mind.

Hi Hun,
Gutted for you, what a nightmare............Piece of plastic like that you can buy for table cloths would do the trick...........cheap too, you would only need ½ metre, will fold up small in your kit bag.
Hugs is what you need.
Lotsa luv x :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

LOL.... for this very reason i wouldnt use anything that was the clients! you can always pick camping folding tables up from carboots dead cheap that will do the job. these things happen tho no matter how careful you are :green:

I would really recommend a mobile nail table.. they are not really very expensive... and it would be YOURS so no problem whatever happened to it :hug:

I use one of those glass worktop protectors with a paper table towel covering it. It is a bit heavy but its great and has little plastic feet on it so it wont scratch woodwork or anything.

I usually use my own fold up table, but when I was at my friends she had a thick plastic cover on her dining room table so she suggested I use that. One of her kids knocked my hand as I was taking the top off the varnish remover and I remember thinking "thank god there's a plastic cover on the table". Unfortunately, as we were cleaning it up we realised that it was also taking the pattern off! She now has a cloth with lovely flowers all over except for one very clean white spot :lol:

I would really recommend a mobile nail table.. they are not really very expensive... and it would be YOURS so no problem whatever happened to it :hug:

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

When I was mobile there was no way id of not used my nail table, it looks professional, its more comfortable and I guess it would be cheaper to buy a new nail station twice over than re-varnish a dining table.

Hugs to you hun. To make myself feel better in situations like these, I always tell myself. Nobody died! Sounds like the nail varnish remover did it to me. Only reason I am thinking this is because I have a big patch in my dining table from it!

Get yourself a mobile table as Zo Zo suggested!

:hug::hug::hug: Big big hugs chuck xxxxx

Accidents do happen, it's not your fault that this happened, but that's not going to make you feel any better is it.

If the client claimed on her won insurance, it would put her premium up, so claim on you insurance, that's why we have it.

I'm not mobile anymore, but I never had any mishaps - I'm not sure why, I'm a nightmare sometimes!

Send her the flowers and make a claim.

Smile too, because it will never happen to you again will it! You'll have all kinds or 'armour' under you towel from now on:hug:

:lol::lol::lol:

I once knocked my dappen dish and spilled monomer all over my mums kitchen chair and the varnish turned a matt cream colour. She wasn't pleased!!

Latest posts

Back