Oval or square nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy G

Reaction score
I hate doing oval nails,Ive always done squoval or square and now Ive got two new clients with oval nails,does any body else feel the same?:irked:

yes, I hate the ovals so much!! but whatever shape my clients want I give them.

I tend to find that the younger the client, the squarer they want their nails !
All my 'wee old ladies' like oval, but the girls going to recent school prom nights have mostly wanted the square white (fake) look :eek:
But as we know, the customer is King :rolleyes: sooooooo, as long as they're happy....................
Personally, I prefer squoval !

i too hate oval nails - i do it solely cos the client requests this however i do find it takes me longer to do a full set due to this. (i guess i dont have enough practise at these ones). I have a wide range of ages and it tends to be the older ladies which prefer the oval shape. - Your not on your own!!!!

i like square but always get squoval because i usually spear myself with the sharp corners of the square. plus its hard to take my eyes out with the square.:green:

oval nails are FUUUUUGLY!

but youre right about the age thing although its a mix on square and squoval here. it depends on how snotty they are. usually the snottier, the longer, younger and more square since they dont have to work *la di da*

Last edited:
I used to like square cos i did em more but i did an oval on me and loved it and it looked so natural. Most of my clients want squoval but i think i prefer oval now and it takes me the same time, just a different angle of my file.

square for the 20s + and squavol for the late 30s 40s and 50s my mums 80 and she likes the squavol

I've done a few sets of fibreglass nails for assessments.... on 4 different people, and all of those clients had them oval... except one had squoval the last time I did them (yesterday hehe)

I always have my nails (natural!) oval (ish!) and I am 23... I break the stereotype haha :lol:

Square or Squoval are easier to do but I like doing Oval

ooo no I like oval,
I used to hate doing them, as I could never get them uniform.
But now I love them,
and 9 times out of 10, I think they look so much prettier.

It is oval or almond for me, not because of my age but because they suit my hands.

I really don't understand why so many favour square when it does nothing to make short stumpy fingers look pretty when an oval or almond shape does.:confused:

I personally prefer oval/almond, they look more natural and I prefer to make artificial nails "natural looking", even though it seems lost on as many techs as is does on clients.

Square nails wreak of "fake".

I like the nails I do to be shaped so it looks like some thought has gone into them, but in the end it's up to the client, although I do point out the downfalls of French & square.

I'm quite upfront when a new client comes in ... I ask str8 out "do you want them to look real or fake"? Then guide them accordingly.

I have always loved square or soft square on myself then this rebalance I decided to go for a change and do oval, well more almond really and I absolutely LOVE them to bits!!
They look so elegant and make my short stubby (fat) fingers look much more slender and beautiful. I have a lot of clients who like square and lots who like oval so I'm happy doing both. The suare's do tend to be the younger clients though.
I'd encourage anyone to try something new and have a different shape once in a while so you don't get stuck in your ways!

I too prefer an oval or almond shape, as others have said, it looks very natural and 9 times out of 10, flatters the finger much more than a square shape!
I do a few rounded square shapes (squoval), but mainly oval and almond! :green:

i really like oval too, but not so much on a really short nail. i think they can end up looking like buttons especially if the nail plate is wide.

I realy like both most young girls i know have very square and fake plus the tan the hair etc!!!!(paris hitlon etc have a lot to answer for lol!!) Thats what they like and they can pull it off!! I like oval though for me and my friends have alot of oval too.xxxxxx

I feel like sometimes oval can be unflattering. Like if the person's finger is pudgey where it meets the hand and tapers out to the tip? Then I feel like oval just emphasizes that tapered look which in turn makes the base of the finger look even pudgier. Maybe I have that all wrong, but that's how my eye sees it!

I love square or squoval i too have just got a client who wants oval i find it so hard to get the shape right i need more practice.

I love square or squoval i too have just got a client who wants oval i find it so hard to get the shape right i need more practice.

Me too and its trying to get them to look all the same ,sometimes some of them are more pointer than others .

Thanks for your replies btw, its interesting to see different peoples views.

personnaly i love oval - i wear them myself - i think square are easier as there is less shaping etc, but the square shape on a older hand (like mine) look rediculous - this is personnal to me tho, but i do tend to think that oval shape look better on the more mature client than square - i would love to wear square on myself, but i have tried it again and again, and its a big no no - and most of my clients tend to agree with the fact that square shape is more for the younger peeps, maybe im just a bore, but thats me

I love almond too... very natural, and makes the fingers look thinner and longer, I love it!

oval, not my thing. I find it annoying, it makes the whole hand look crap...

square, I like it too, looooooong square with a 50% C-Curve, that's my fav...(to each their own, I know)

Latest posts

Back