Smoking in banned areas

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoking ban in public places - good or bad??

• Bring it on - it can't happen soon enough

Votes: 101 61.6%
  • Nope don't want it, I will not be responsible for my actions if I can,t have a ciggie fix

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Doesn't bother me either way

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Should leave it as it is with designated smoking places

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • Other - please state why

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Seanny i took it the way it was intended :hug: and your smack was a cheeky one :lol:

i'm an ex smoker and so is my hubby,

where he works there is at the moment a designated area. the only thing is, it is being abused by smokers who are just looking for a quick break and hide in there. which is annoying for the people who dont smoke who seem to be doing all the work. they are entitled to three breaks a day but exploit it because of their habit.
so i say bring it on especially as this is a poultry supplier.

i am not against smoking but please not in public places, its just wrong

i am not a smoker and i am tired of going to a pub, club, restaurant or bar and coming home stinking of other peoples smoke

also i don't think its fair that my work colleagues spent over 1 hour per day on taking a fag breaks! (and i add that this is on top of the hour lunch break that they are entitled too) so why is it that as a non-smoker i can't just leave my office and hang around outside the building for 10-15 mins at least 4 times a day! i tell you why because i would be told that i am paid to work thats why

I am a smoker,an addictive smoker, I think that they should be dessignated areas for smokers.
My husband dosn't smoke so when we go put for a meal we always sit in no smoking, I do this because 1) my husband dosn't smoke 2) I would rather wait and take my coffe to the bar/lounge.
I can wait.....but not too long. I don't smoke if no body I am with does or I ask first
Us smokers are made to feel like leppers!!!!
FOR A LAUGH:lol:
any way I work p/t in pharmacy and went to train to give adice, help and support to people that want to give up. Every one thinks it's funny, but I know what its like to try to stop..well that's my excuse. The training was good I even looked on the internet about stuff so that I could go back to branch and train other team members. Maybe it will help me stop one day.......................yeh right!!

Tbh us smokers are getting worried now.
I may well be very grumpy if I can't smoke and feel the need.
My mates REALLY don't need it:)
What happens if it's 4am and I'm i a club and light one up.....do I get arrested or thrown out or what?
Not that I would do that but I would be interested to know.

I smoke,but I say bring it on,I hope it will encourage smokers like me to give up the weed.....how much do we cost this country every year.....millions that could be put into education and other positive stuff.

OK so if everyone gave up smoking the government would loose a lot of tax revenue......I wonder how that correlates with the amount spent by the NHS on smokers....

I was torn between 'Bring it on' and 'Designated areas' decided to vote for the first one.

OK so if everyone gave up smoking the government would loose a lot of tax revenue......I wonder how that correlates with the amount spent by the NHS on smokers....

My thoughts exactly

I voted for designated areas, I live in Tenerife where we have a ban......

Ther is No Smoking in airports, hospitals, shops, taxis etc, but restaurants and cafes under 100 mtr can opt to be smoking or not, larger ones can also offer a smoking area but it has to be seperated and have proper filtration/ventilation. So the choice is yours.

Fortunately with the weather over here (usually very warm) there are a lot of restaurants that have outside tables and so it is not so much of a problem.:)

I do smoke and while I respect that others don't, (wouldn't dream of lighting up while people were eating etc) I do think that there should be a choice.

I have to say that I have never really found it a problem when I do visit England, if I can't smoke then I don't and that's it.....I just stay in a lot and save myself a fortunate..lol

I agree with the non smoking workers though, I would find it very unfair if I was a non smoker to watch other people taking breaks for a ciggie while I had to work.......when I used to work in a non smoking office etc. I waited until my designated break times and had one (or as many as I could squeeze in!!!) lol

It would never occur to me to walk out in the middle of a job just to have a puff......But I've never worked in a place where this was allowed to be honest, I always thought that that was what break times and lunch times were for!!!!

i too am an 'after a few beers - social smoker'

I dont know why i HATE it :irked: when sober.

There is no way on gods earth i could get up in the morining and smoke one i would for sure PUKE.

Isnt it odd that after a few beers - this all changes?:smack:

ANyhow - bring it on i say - cant stand restaurants/pubs etc where they still allow it near eating areas yeuk !

A bloke said to me that his doctor told him he'd sooner try to cure someone of heroin addiction than stop a smoker:eek:

Amb xx

Typical ex-smoker. Can't stand the smell - and detect it immediately on anyone who does.

I'm really lucky in that since they were tiny, both my children could never stand the smell of cigarette smoke and have never even tried it.

Its years since I stopped, HOWEVER after a fab meal, coffee and brandy to hand I STILL have a brief urge for a "fag" to round it off. It's more than I dare do to have one.

As has been said, it's been banned in Wales now for a while and it's great not to have the smoke wafting over from the "smoking" areas in pubs and restaurants - and hotel lobbies too. The general opinion is that it is for the better.

My hubby works in a 'no smoking' complex, and the smoking area has gradually been moved away from the building (smoke drifting back through the windows and aircon apparently) to what amounts to the middle of a large grassy patch.

He reckons its hilarious to watch the smoking crew out there in a howling gale and pouring with rain, umbrellas going all over the place, just to have a cigarette. Those left inside don't think much of it in general - because they are hard at work!

My Training Academy is overlooks a company with a couple of ladies who are constantly "nipping out" to have a cigarette since the ban here. They look really daft standing on their own, puffing away and staring into the distance (or talking on their mobiles). I have often wondered what their bosses are thinking........................after all, I assume they are getting paid to do it!

I am a smoker and in the pub with a drink is the best, I say they should have said that if there are six pubs in close proximity they should have made two of them smoking and the rest no smoking, as I cannot go into a pub and have a drink without a ciggie then it gives people a choice, my choice has been taken away, restaraunts I agree should be no smoking.

aint read all this but with this smoking thing - i agree to an extent - restaurants yes - but night clubs, pubs, working mans clubs - i think its totally diabolical, yes i do smoke, but for me peeps go out to ENJOY themselves, have a fag with a pint etc - things to me are now getting so out of hand. next the gov will be telling us we cant smoke in our own homes. most of the clubs etc in my area are now having to install "gardens" - cos to be honest, i think the clubs, pubs, nightclubs are gonna lose out big style - and what if you have to pay to get into a club - all youll get is "if you leave, you gonna have to pay to get back in" - totally wrong

Wow.. over here where I live. We already have the smoking ban in full force.
There isn't any smoking in restaurants, Bars, pubs, public parks, public shows (fairgrounds). You cannot smoke in any public building or close to it.

There is a distance of 25 ft from any public door.
Like my salon: if a Client wants a ciggy then they must stand at least 25 ft from the public door to the salon or any business.
The same with Bars and pubs. Most have a "smoking area" that is 25 ft from the doors and is covered in case it is raining. But you must go outside.

Has it hurt anyone? No. Is anyone overly upset? No.

In fact, it really makes you think about smoking and how much you really do smoke.

I don't smoke in my car, I don't smoke in my house, and I only smoke 2 cigs at work. I don't think it has hurt me none. And personally, I really enjoy going to the bars now and not coming home smelling like a ash tray.

cannot wait for the smoking ban! I look forward to goin out for the night and not coming home stinking of fags!

Smoking has been banned in Scotland since March last year and as a smoker I agree with it. I have tried to stop 3 times in the past year but when I put on a stone and keep climbing I succumb and just can't handle being bigger than I normally am. Wot a wimp eh? However I gotta say, when on a night out you smoke a fraction of the fagz you normally would as the thought of standing outside in the freezing scottish weather is an off put! Yeah, I've been one of those numptys who's been standing there when it's snowing and blizzard conditions. Mental or what? Also not smoking so much when on a night out - you don't wake up with a bark like a dog and that kippered feeling. It's great! So yeah, ban is great and hopefully in time there will be no smokers and it'll just fizzle out - me included.

However on saying all of the above, we have friends in St Helens (England) and when we go to visit and go for a night out I can't get used to being able to have a cig when drinking and the novelty of it kicks in and it's great. Kippered in the morning again and barking like a dog - woof!

My clients smoke in my house and I have absolutely no problem with it and it's my home so they can - the ban doesn't count in my home. I think some of them are delighted that they can rather than going to a salon and they can't. Not that being able to have a fag is everything obviously. The service and outcome provided are paramount I think. Just easier if they can smoke rather than having to go outside.:lol:

Yeah lets bring on the BAN!!! NOT! This is totally the government telling citizens what We can do! I don't know what has happened in the U.S, this used to be a country that stood for FREEDOM. HA! We have laws for everything...mandatory seatbelts for drivers,helmet laws for motorcyclists,you can't SPANK your kids (then they wonder why we have demonic kids here killing other kids in school), you cant smoke in the OUTDOORS? I live in Tennessee, here in the states, and THIS state is one of the biggest TOBACCO producers!!
All my smoking friends are VERY angry about the new ban here and are going to drive to the next state to buy their cigarettes (we are also getting a NEW tax for them here)
Lets see what happens when the state loses all that tax revenue!!! I can understand if you don't smoke and you don't like it but I find it sad that people are celebrating this law.This type of thing will only encourage more restrictive laws for other things citizens do,that the government should keep their nose out of!! The next law could be taking away something you non smokers enjoy?I had stated in an earlier post about sun tanning causing Melanoma so, maybe the government should ban that too? I know that would cause an uprising, as tanning parlors are BIG Business here in the states!
Next thing you know there will be a ban on alcohol,hey why not? Look at all the drunk driving,vehicular homicides and not to mention violence that drunken people commit.
We presently have a few restaraunts that are non smoking,We do not go there because we like to linger after dinner and have a few drinks and conversation. I think we could use a few smoking and a few non smoking restaraunts so everyone can have a choice!!!
Hey, screaming kids throwing their food and running crazy through the dining room tee's me off when I'm eating but I dont say ban them!! I am not trying to be pissy but,the government here has tormented us with the smoking crap til we are fed up!!!:irked:
We know it's bad and we know it stinks,but I know alot of people with bad and unhealthy habits and I have endured numerous stinky (in need of a bath) people in my lifetime! I do not rush up to tell them though! For anyone that would like to Quit their is a new prescription drug (dont know if it's available in all countries)
Sorry to Rant but it's time for the government to do their JOB and let the citizens decide whats best for them and their families!

Yeah lets bring on the BAN!!! NOT! This is totally the government telling citizens what We can do! I don't know what has happened in the U.S, this used to be a country that stood for FREEDOM. HA! We have laws for everything...mandatory seatbelts for drivers,helmet laws for motorcyclists,you can't SPANK your kids (then they wonder why we have demonic kids here killing other kids in school), you cant smoke in the OUTDOORS? I live in Tennessee, here in the states, and THIS state is one of the biggest TOBACCO producers!!
All my smoking friends are VERY angry about the new ban here and are going to drive to the next state to buy their cigarettes (we are also getting a NEW tax for them here)
Lets see what happens when the state loses all that tax revenue!!! I can understand if you don't smoke and you don't like it but I find it sad that people are celebrating this law.This type of thing will only encourage more restrictive laws for other things citizens do,that the government should keep their nose out of!! The next law could be taking away something you non smokers enjoy?I had stated in an earlier post about sun tanning causing Melanoma so, maybe the government should ban that too? I know that would cause an uprising, as tanning parlors are BIG Business here in the states!
Next thing you know there will be a ban on alcohol,hey why not? Look at all the drunk driving,vehicular homicides and not to mention violence that drunken people commit.
We presently have a few restaraunts that are non smoking,We do not go there because we like to linger after dinner and have a few drinks and conversation. I think we could use a few smoking and a few non smoking restaraunts so everyone can have a choice!!!
Hey, screaming kids throwing their food and running crazy through the dining room tee's me off when I'm eating but I dont say ban them!! I am not trying to be pissy but,the government here has tormented us with the smoking crap til we are fed up!!!:irked:
We know it's bad and we know it stinks,but I know alot of people with bad and unhealthy habits and I have endured numerous stinky (in need of a bath) people in my lifetime! I do not rush up to tell them though! For anyone that would like to Quit their is a new prescription drug (dont know if it's available in all countries)
Sorry to Rant but it's time for the government to do their JOB and let the citizens decide whats best for them and their families!

Okay, you obviously felt the need to get this off your chest. I am not a smoker and never have been, but the bottom line is that smoking is bad for ones health and for the health of those who don't even smoke if in the vicinity of a smoker!

I do realize that smoking is addictive. It is an addictive drug and very difficult to give up. If you want to smoke in your home and buy your ciggies in the next state, then fine, you are entiltled to do that. But out in public, be it in a restaurant or waiting area (where ever) nonsmokers also have a right to inhale nicotine free air.

I find your last sentence interesting. You want the government to do their job and let the citizens decide what is best for them and their families. Do you really think it's right that other people, especially children, are forced to inhale secondary smoke which causes cancer and leads to heart disease and circulatory problems? :eek: This is sure as hell, not what I want for myself or my kids, and smoking in public places would take away my rights in this respect!

No two guesses what I'm voting?

We are all entitled to our opinion,that is what discussions are for.Though you did miss the point of my last sentence.Point had to do with WAY more than the smoking issue.I also covered OTHER laws that concerned people being told what to do.Such as a parent's here (as well as teachers) are not allowed to spank their own children for fear that they will be taken away.I don't know about there but here we have a pretty big problem with ill behaved kids and some are downright dangerous (we have had several kids go into schools and kill other students and teachers).There is a difference in spanking and beating.I personally believe spanking is part of parenting,if talking to your kid doesn't work.As far as everything else, I still say with each passing of a new law it will only open more doors for a communist society. I am considerate enough to not smoke close to a non smoker.As far as bars or clubs,around here the majority of people in those establishments are smokers.I will not change your opinion and you will not change mine.That is why they are opinions. Thanks for your input.

We are all entitled to our opinion,that is what discussions are for.Though you did miss the point of my last sentence.Point had to do with WAY more than the smoking issue.I also covered OTHER laws that concerned people being told what to do.Such as a parent's here (as well as teachers) are not allowed to spank their own children for fear that they will be taken away.I don't know about there but here we have a pretty big problem with ill behaved kids and some are downright dangerous (we have had several kids go into schools and kill other students and teachers).There is a difference in spanking and beating.I personally believe spanking is part of parenting,if talking to your kid doesn't work.As far as everything else, I still say with each passing of a new law it will only open more doors for a communist society. I am considerate enough to not smoke close to a non smoker.As far as bars or clubs,around here the majority of people in those establishments are smokers.I will not change your opinion and you will not change mine.That is why they are opinions. Thanks for your input.

I'm not trying to change your opinion but you missed my point! The reasons smoking is being banned is because of the risks it poses to ones health. Your smoke and that of others in public places (especially enclosed ones) affects not only your health (which is your choice) but that of mine and other people who do not smoke.

In a reastaurant or a club the no smoking patron has no option but to enhale secondary smoke. Our rights are taken away from us in this respect. Even when there is an indoor designated smoking area, it still infiltrates the non smoking areas. In a restaurant, a non smoker cannot escape the smoke beyond the walls of the restaurant, whereas a smoker can go outside to have their ciggie.

I do agree that many governments are becoming nanny governments in telling us how to raise our children etc... However, this poll is about a smoking ban and not whether or not we should smack our children.

You cannot get away from the fact that smoking compromises health! Billions is spent in the health system caring for people who have smoked with the resulting damage to their bodies. People who suffer coronary disease from smoking, chew up millions of pounds in the health system to be doctored and nursed, whilst people who suffer, for example, from mental health problems (through no fault or choice of their own) cannot access proper medical care because there is no funding for them.

What is more, whilst you say you are considerate enough to not smoke near a nonsmoker, not everybody is as considerate. How do you know who is a smoker and who is not any way in an enclosed public area?

Latest posts

Back