EDGE shape

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto:!:

Ya know, I said that they are not flattering. I take that back. Those nails don't look natural for certain. But they are definately a pleasure to look at. And while they are blatantly unnatural in shape, I have to say that they are flattering.

Why? They're not ugly, and are attractive to look at. They don't make the hand look unattractive. The shape is consistent and her work is clean.

One definition of flattering is as follows:

And they do indeed, do exactly that: make the nails look good.
Were the nails short and bitten or whatever, they wouldn't be "flattering" to the hand. If they were sloppy and inconsistent, and had messy sidewalls or lumps & bumps, were ultra thick or rings of fire, or egyptian hats etc.... they would be "unflattering" because they wouldn't be pleasing to the eye and so wouldn't flatter the hand.

Now if your goal is solely to do natural looking enhancements: then yes, I can understand why one would say they that they are unflattering.
However, I don't think that word is appropriate in this case (and in many others where we've used it in the past) simply because in the case of the shape, it's a matter of opinion of what looks best, and not necessarily a hard 'rule' that the shape should be such and such. Just look at Canadian trends for square/squoval shape versus the UK trend of almonds & ovals? It's all a matter of opinion and trend.

The goal of nail enhancements is to make the nails look attractive. Thereby flattering the hands. The tech has done exactly that.

So, to finish: I think that they do flatter the hand and that she has done a lovely job.
That's just what I wanted to say, but didnt have the words. Thanks :hug:

Some of these nails look great, but with 2 babies I wouldn't be wanting to change the nappies with those nails!!

There are worse things i could think of too with that nail shape!!

Love these new ideas, but not for everyone. Same goes for anything in life!

Gina xx

Some of these nails look great, but with 2 babies I wouldn't be wanting to change the nappies with those nails!!

Gina xx

Now don't be naughty!!!

Gina xx

I can understand what you're saying... but...
I recall when I had my first daughter.. everyone was after me to remove my nails as they feared that I'd scratch my daughter. Well,I removed them and guess what? I scratched her with my natural nails which are thinner & sharper than enhancements. So, my nails went back on:green: and nary a scratch.

I don't see a problem with those for changing nappies any more than with any other shape. Mind you, the 'point' on these and stilletoes could be a bit frightful if you poked someone :lol::eek:
But the 'edge' shouldn't be any sharper, and if it is, one can always take a low grit file or buffing block to smooth/dull the underneath of the edge to lessen the sharpness.

I definately agree with your last statement though:hug:
And differences are what make this world go around.

Now don't be naughty!!!

ROFL:lol:

Now who's being naughty minded? My mind never even went that direction until you mentioned the word naughty.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I dont know what it is but there is something about these ones that keep drawing me back to look at them, but then I love most of this techs work.

IMG_4024-4122 ?????? - ????? - nayadas - Photofile.name

Most of her work is lovely and these nails are no exception. I do like this shape, however I only have one client I know would actually wear it, the rest are a little stuck in their ways. Although that said, when I wear my nails a bit different, they do comment that they would like the style/shape/colour, and they'll try it 'next time' :rolleyes:

The shape reminds me a little of the Stealth Bomber! :)

xx

Oooooh the one I did on my pinkie looks exactly like this one!

wouldnt these be more prone to splitting right down the centre?
i like them though! interesting!

I'll get my daughter to take a pic with her new mega super camera tomorrow. Just don't look underneath mine though!

To make them I wanted the same colour as the rest of my nails, which are (Or will be, as I only have 2 on ATM) black tips. So, here is what I did.....

First I cut off the sides and top and bottom of the largest tip size. I then held it over the spout of a kettle with two tweezers to soften it and tried to press it flat. I tried scoring a line down it for it to fold for the edge, but this didn't work, as the stress made it turn white on the fold line.

So....I did another one and cut out 2 diamond shapes. These I attempted to glue together, but was too fiddly, so I put some L+P on the form on my finger and "cemented" them in. Unfortunately this didn't work too well, so it is a bit lumpy bumpy underneath.

The rest went fairly well. I extended the nail bed with CND to the homemade tip. Unfortunately it fell off a few times, so this didn't help the underneath any more! However, I eventually got it all stuck together and finished the application and filing.

As the underneath was a bit of a disaster I decided to put some black polish there to hide the clear L+P, whih was OK until a blob went under where the coverage powder was and I discovered I had maybe filed it a bit too much, as it is possible to see a black shadow if you look closely. There is also a tiny little space on one part of the join between the two diamonds of the tip, but you can only see this if you look closely.

However, I'm really pleased with my first attempt, considering I also had the make a "cornered" tip out of a curvy surface!

I'll pin my daughter down tomorrow, if she is fairly sober after she returns from her Christmas night out!

It actually feels very strong. In fact, mine feels stronger than the other nails. It is a bit thicker on the free edge than them because of all my faffing, but I'm actually a wee bit worried that this shape mkes it is too strong, and if an accident were to happen (Marion touches wood to ward off the bad luck!) it would be my natural nail which wouldtake the brunt.

Marion x

I'll get my daughter to take a pic with her new mega super camera tomorrow. Just don't look underneath mine though!

To make them I wanted the same colour as the rest of my nails, which are (Or will be, as I only have 2 on ATM) black tips. So, here is what I did.....

First I cut off the sides and top and bottom of the largest tip size. I then held it over the spout of a kettle with two tweezers to soften it and tried to press it flat. I tried scoring a line down it for it to fold for the edge, but this didn't work, as the stress made it turn white on the fold line.

So....I did another one and cut out 2 diamond shapes. These I attempted to glue together, but was too fiddly, so I put some L+P on the form on my finger and "cemented" them in. Unfortunately this didn't work too well, so it is a bit lumpy bumpy underneath.

The rest went fairly well. I extended the nail bed with CND to the homemade tip. Unfortunately it fell off a few times, so this didn't help the underneath any more! However, I eventually got it all stuck together and finished the application and filing.

As the underneath was a bit of a disaster I decided to put some black polish there to hide the clear L+P, whih was OK until a blob went under where the coverage powder was and I discovered I had maybe filed it a bit too much, as it is possible to see a black shadow if you look closely. There is also a tiny little space on one part of the join between the two diamonds of the tip, but you can only see this if you look closely.

However, I'm really pleased with my first attempt, considering I also had the make a "cornered" tip out of a curvy surface!

I'll pin my daughter down tomorrow, if she is fairly sober after she returns from her Christmas night out!

god marion, what a palava !:lol:
why didnt you just sculpt it like it showed on the tutorial??
aaaah i see now, it was because of the black tips.

they were fairly easy to sculpt, do you have any black powder to match them up, or maybe you could have a 'feature nail'

Last edited:

totally agree with marion on the extra strength.
this surprised me as i thought the same as you kate initially.
but its almost as if the nail has a reinforced 'spine' down the centre of it.

I didn't have any plain black powder, only glittery. I wanted them to be the same, with the "feature" being the shape. Once I got started I wasn't going to let it beat me! I'll not be doing it this way again though! xx

Looking at the first picture, I didn't much like them, but as I've seen more, they've really grown on me! Mind, I do like something different, and these are certainly that! Don't think I could wear 'em, but it'd be fun having a go:green:

BTW how beautiful are some of the nail art pics on that site?! The world has talented people all over!

Latest posts

Back