Going to police over vouchers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Monroe

Reaction score
hi everyone just looking for some advice,
i'll just remind you of what's happened before, i rented above a hair salon then after xmas she told me not come back, no notice no niceness.
her issue was my priorities were my children and said i wasn't making her enough money.

WELL she has left me a voice mail about a lady who bought a gift voucher. I then had a second voice mail saying 'YOU BETTER RING ME you need to sort this client she is carrying on with me she doesn't want to come to YOUR house.

I hate speaking to her she is very intimidating and rude.she gets me so down and makes me cry. I have told her i will honor my gift vouchers but they'll have to come to my house, i don't drive and will have my kids here as i'm not working they don't go to nursery.

So the hairdresser has said the client is off to the police as she says i have stolen her money.

im sure this is not true the problem has arisen as she kicked me out of the salon without any notice or chance to let these clients know who have gift vouchers.
i am offering to do these services and have not stolen money as i intended on being in the salon to do the services?

advice welcome thank you

why not just refund the client ? if she doesnt want the treatment , i would say that would be the easiest thing to do

well i obviously would have done that if i had the money. when i sold vouchers she always wanted her 25% at end off week. i am currently unemployed so dont have moeny to give back

Think I'd be taking a little trip to the solicitors if I was you. You have done nothing wrong and it will put your mind at ease. I would ask for the clients phone number though and contact her myself if I were you. You can explain things to her and maybe offer her either a service in your home or a refund... it might cost a few quid but at least you can sleep at night... I really hope this all works out for you:hug:

I feel for you I really do hunni :hug: however tbh i would be peed off if I bought a GV and then couldn't have the treatment, so you have to understand the clients feelings.

I have NO idea whose liable for any of this. Salons go bust all the time and I suppose they must have GV outstanding. Someone has probably got some experience of this,

Becki x

well i obviously would have done that if i had the money. when i sold vouchers she always wanted her 25% at end off week. i am currently unemployed so dont have moeny to give back
Whoops sorry I'm a bit slow at the typing. I'd bite the bullet and ring her (salon owner) and don't be afraid.. just ask for the clients details and then contact the client... bet she'll be understanding and if not.. let her go to the police, this happens all the time when salons sell up and change hands... you have offered the client a service in your home and if she chooses not to take this then it's not your problem

Don't get me wrong here by the way... I really feel sorry for anyone who has a gift voucher and then finds out that it's no good to them, but at the end of the day what can you do?.. I feel you are doing you're best to resolve the problem and hopefully the police won't need to get involved:rolleyes:

was the gift voucher for you or for the salon...what was written on it??? Who did the money go to?......if i brought a gift voucher from a salon...i would expect the salon to honour it or refund it....regardless of what their employee arrangments are.
Sacking you because of your parental responsibilities is classed as sexual discrimination...i am pretty sure this is what if falls under...but get some legal advise...a professional will be able to advise you better.
Sounds as though you are best off out of it though hun.....doesnt sound like a nice person to work for. You will probably find that the clients grievance is more to do with how she is being treated by the owner...which is why is doesnt want to go to your house for the service.
hope you get it sorted soon

xx

I think you need to contact the salon owner and ask for the clients details, then arrange for the client to come to your house if she doesn't want to which is fair enough you will then have to refund her your share and then its up to the salon owner to re-imburse the other 25%.

You said you haven't had chance to let the clients with gift vouchers know about the situation, does this mean you haven't got a record of them ? Who has ?

The salon owner doesn't sound very nice but I can understand if she is cross if the client is having a go at her, as you were self employed and (im presuming) the vouchers are for your business its your responsibility to sort it out.

In all honesty if Id had some vouchers for xmas and went to redeem them at a salon and was told sorry but the therapist is not here and you will have to go to her house then I would ask for a refund if going to the therapists house was not convienient, if I wasn't given the money back or alternative treatment at the salon I would definetely take it further, small claims court whatever, I would be fuming if I didn't get the money back.

Im not to sure about the legalities but unless you have been made bankrupt, company went into liquidation, etc its your responsibility to re-imburse the client or whoever bought the voucher.

Sometimes things should just be ignored...why don't you try just ignoring the situation..

I know this may sound flippant, but i doubt the police will get involved, its not a criminal offence. also i would stop taking calls from the salon owner, and just delete the voicemails, she'll soon get bored with trying to contact you, and she'll have to deal with the situation herself.

Sometimes in life, its good to bury your head!

Ignore it, and it will all go away eventually.

Sometimes things should just be ignored...why don't you try just ignoring the situation..

I know this may sound flippant, but i doubt the police will get involved, its not a criminal offence. also i would stop taking calls from the salon owner, and just delete the voicemails, she'll soon get bored with trying to contact you, and she'll have to deal with the situation herself.

It happens very rarely!!!!

But your comments above have left me speechless.

:eek::eek::eek:

No worries about the poor client then ?! :eek:

i dont think ignoring it would be the best idea, if u cant give the client her money back she will have to come to you for the treatment. But i personally would definately call the client directly rather than having this middle person complicating things :) x

Hi there, can I ask how much the voucher was for?

Wow cant believe you have said that what about the client?? :eek:

If i were you i would contact the client and explain the situation to her.

Last edited:
You need to speak to the salon owner, get the clients full details and then call the client, sorry!

I'm sure that the client will be happy to make some sort of arrangement with you for either the treatment or a refund. If you took the payment for the GV and banked the money then it is your responibility to refund the client, or at least your portion of it. The fact that you are not now employed is irrelevent because you have this lady's money! However it's not really up to the client to go chasing this money from you and the salon owner, but the 2 of you should be working together to sort this out, however uncomfortable it is.:hug:

It's a very unfortunate situation for all 3 of you but for goodness don't bury your head in the sand as a previous poster suggested!!:eek:

~Firstly Carla, I would take what the hairdresser manager said and half it. she is obviously out for effect.

Get your confidence up and ring her, tell her you wish to contact the client yourself to arrange an appointment.

When you speak to the client, apologise firstly, explain that you had promised that you would fulfill the appointments but as you no longer have a venue (through no choice of your own) you have no transport so she can come to your home.

You will have to be prepared to refund her your share if she doesn't want to to that. I think paying back the money is better than sleepless nights worrying about it and jumping everytime the phone rang.

Your reputation is also at stake here Carla, so you may wish to start up again in 6 months time. If the hairdresser and this disgruntled client talk to people about this situation, then it may put people off making appointments with you in the future.

I dont think being complacent about this will help, and ignoring calls and letters will just increase your stress levels.

You have offered to do appointments as best as you can, so I am sure, in the laws eyes, you will be offering to fulfil your obligations.

I woundnt ignor the client if i was you! i can understand why the client is so mad i would be if it was me, I would sooner sell what ever i could sooner than my business get a bad name for its self. The best thing to do is get the money back to the client. And dont take any s**t from that salon owner you'l feel loads better when you stand up to her :hug:

i do feel for ya hun i really do but at the end of the day you have taken the clients money up front, if she wants a refund then i really think you are best to give her it , unless you want a bad reputation which would ruin all the good work you have done so far :hug: ,
i think you will feel better once you have spoke to the client direct, if she wont come to you , cant you get someone to give you a lift to her house ? its only one appointment.
i deffo wouldnt try ignore it

hope you get it sorted soon xxxx

I took over a salon where customers had brought vouchers from the old owner, She ended up doing a runner and company went bust. I know that the clients that had vouchers have taken this further as in a way its theft. You have to put yourself in there shoes you would be going mad and you would not care who sold you the voucher.

Your best to contact the client and offer to do the treatment or refund her in full. Might be worth calling ALL your clients that brought Gift vocuhers so you dont go through all this again. Have you got a log of all the vocuhers you have sold?

I am sure with one phone call this will get sorted, but whatever you do do not ignore the client, get i touch and I am sure she will be happy that your in contact.

Latest posts

Back