Beauty show North - Your Thoughts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

number1kitty

Reaction score
I went to the GMEX Beauty expo yesterday, all geared up to spend my usual small fortune and bubblewrapped up to prevent bruising from over crowding.

My god it was sooooooooo quiet. Hardley anyone was there, it got a little busy about midday but otherwise I got around with ease.

There was still the compulsory buggies, babies and men oogling the semi naked women getting spray tanned however!

I was on the hunt for a hot wax system, spray tan system, and a new facial range as well as a new mani range and my nail extension stuff!

I really couldnt buy anything because there was nothing to compare.

There were hardley any exhibitors and those that were there were surrounded by people who were obviosuly not therapists!! Sooooo annoying!

I didnt spend 1p in the end. But the I must admit there were three companies there that gave me there time and I am happy to open a package with them. I am dissapointed though that the companies I wanted to see such as ellisons, hof and creative as well as the products such as tantrick etc were not there.

I use these shows to save me time having reps in! I like to see whats new and of course get the best deals! I feel sorry for the new companies that were there as they will lose out as the turn out gets worse. after all its the big companies that pull in the crowds and help the little companies get new business too.

Oh well looks like I will have to see what london show is like!

What your views.

kate x

I only saw the show around midday/early pm and it was pretty busy then, but when I went back through about 4.30 it was quiet then. I quite enjoyed pottering round and having a nosey at everything, watching demos and chatting!

Wow factor (the distributors of Tantrick) were there launching Berins wax, which is why you might have missed them - I had my lip waxed by Lori Nestore and my model had her legs waxed. It was really interesting to watch Lori work, and it was lovely to meet her.

Spent some time watching Anthony Buckley and Sam Biddle on the EZ Flow stand which was fab - the nails Sam was wearing were just gorgeous!

I have to say I didn't go to Professional Beauty North because I simply couldn't afford going to PBN *and* The Event...

I was very disappointed last year when I went to PBN because I really didn't like all the people with buggies and stuff. :irked:

I really enjoyed it and had a great time spending, all the exhibitors I wanted to be there were, and a few new ones that drew me in, I cant say I was disturbed by or even saw any buggies.
And tbh there was a queue of women ogling the boxer clad men being spray tanned as well, especially the line of women and girls waiting for a look from semi naked Mario..(yuk)
Sam Biddle was amazing and her nails were to die for, the girls on the Entity stand did a great job and are so friendly and approachable, especially the Canadian lady, I don't know her name unfortunately.
My only disappointment is I couldn't do both days, cant wait till next year...:)

I loved it and I loved meeting some geeks there too. Suze you are a really lovely lady and so were all the other geeks I met. I had three of my nails done on the ezflow stand, I will try and put pictures on later. It was also nice seeing cec, urban geek and redtaby21 win some thing.

I'm sad I missed it.
I'm the one who's usually oggling the men getting a tan btw:)

I really enjoyed my visit to G mex, but i did think it was quieter than Olympia was.
Really enjoyed watching Sam Biddle, would love to have had a nail done ( maybe next time ). The girls on the Entity stand where all very helpful and i loved the new Entity gel.
My day was finished off with meeting some geeks, as Suze said would love to have done the 2 days..xx

Well, we drove 12 hour round trip from Aberdeenshire just for PBN, and I felt it was well worth the trip. I spent a small fortune.

I went to the Ezflow and Young Nails' seminars, which gave me inspiration and ideas to take home with me. I didnt stay long enough for the Geek Meet, as the time was too late for travelling home. :irked: Maybe next time.

I found everyone to be very nice and more than helpful, I cant say I saw a single buggy - but I did see, surprisingly - not, in one of the many tanning companies' stand, MARIO, from Big Brother!!!

My hubby didnt come in with me, he headed off to Man Utd football ground so I was left all alone with the Visa card, totally unsupervised :eek:, and I abused it something awful.

Looking forward to the next exhibition. Hopefully they will bring them further up North for us Scots. :rolleyes:

I spent the day there and had a fabulous time. The usual spray tan companies where there, one (Su Do) even had a lovely mostly man in just his pants on their stand so there was the opportunity for the girls (and some boys) to lust.

The show was a little quieter then Olympia, i've not done PBN before so can't compare to previous events.

There wasn't as much unrelated rubbish at this show as there was Olympia, but there was still stands selling cheap jewellery, handbags, discounted Tigi products from a company who had nothing to do with the beauty industry from their stand etc.

Under 16's (I'd say 18 but some students are younger) shouldn't be allowed into a professional show!! And this is supposed to be a Professional Show ... why is it then always full of girls buying cheap nail and makeup products?

I got a lot from it, got some great tips from my chats with Lori Nestore (who I just loved) on the Berins / Wow Factor stand. Found a potential skin care company to work with who don't have a stupid account opening fee (just £500) and have decent products and met some fabulous geeks. So overall I enjoyed the day, but the organisers need to do better ... companies need to be vetted to ensure the products are suitable and of a decent quality, and they need to ban the kids and pushchairs and wheely suitcases! But it in left luggage and put your stuff in it there!

Mat xx

I have to say I went on Sunday and had a great time knew who I wanted to see and managed to do so spent a small fortune (as always) got my spray tan kit loads of nail stock and new goodies. Watched Anthony & Sam on the Ezflow stand with my usual dropped jaw and amazement also watched Lori on the Wow stand she was great, didn't see a single buggy or child, was nice and quiet until about midday but we had to get away early so disappointed I couldn't go to the Geek Meet. But I too saw Mario & Lisa was also there (I'm sure it was her built like an Amazon) lulling around the spray tan stands.

i went yesterday and had a fab time spent quite a lot so much infact that i had to go back today because some of the stuff they had there i couldnt carry all the way back to the car, so i did a quick drop bye today with my baby in buggy (unfortunatly) to run in and pick up spray tan machine. i really didnt want to take her but as i was only in there a matter of 10 mins it was my only option. major pain in the butt though as it was really busy and no way of pushing through let alone with a big box. dont know why people take their kids but sometimes we have no other choice. yesterday was good though just me and another girl spent lots of time there and money too. ah well. x

I visited PBN yesterday, my first time ever and I had a great time, totally in my element. Ezflow had some great offers which i didnt hestiate to take advantage of!

Bought lots of nail polishes, a new tunic & bits & bobs. Bought the new soak bath for removing overlays, spent loads but I really did want the Footsie bath but didn'y feel it was enough of a bargain so I'll save up for it.

I expected to see kids & pushchairs etc.. but didn't see any children.

I know I'm a bit sad but I loved the big glass dish full of pink glitter stars on the Star Nails counter, I was thowing them in my hair, they were fab!!!!

The Ezflow team were great, so inspiring, gave me a right buzz, and I met Annemac just her after having a stilleto done by Anthony Buckley.

Really enjoyed it yesterday & would've loved to have gone today.

I spent the day there and had a fabulous time. The usual spray tan companies where there, one (Su Do) even had a lovely mostly man in just his pants on their stand so there was the opportunity for the girls (and some boys) to lust.

The show was a little quieter then Olympia, i've not done PBN before so can't compare to previous events.

There wasn't as much unrelated rubbish at this show as there was Olympia, but there was still stands selling cheap jewellery, handbags, discounted Tigi products from a company who had nothing to do with the beauty industry from their stand etc.

Under 16's (I'd say 18 but some students are younger) shouldn't be allowed into a professional show!! And this is supposed to be a Professional Show ... why is it then always full of girls buying cheap nail and makeup products?

I got a lot from it, got some great tips from my chats with Lori Nestore (who I just loved) on the Berins / Wow Factor stand. Found a potential skin care company to work with who don't have a stupid account opening fee (just £500) and have decent products and met some fabulous geeks. So overall I enjoyed the day, but the organisers need to do better ... companies need to be vetted to ensure the products are suitable and of a decent quality, and they need to ban the kids and pushchairs and wheely suitcases! But it in left luggage and put your stuff in it there!

Mat xx

Hi Matt I saw you when you were standing by Andy after having your arms waxed by Lori but never got a chance to say hi as had to rush off to meet someone. I promise to say hi next time though!! You are a very tall boy !!! and loved the blue t-shirt!!!

I also saw Lyndsy (zingara) and again never got a chance to say hi as was too busy chatting again, also who were you with as Jen couldnt remember who you were with and I didnt know either. Sorry didnt get a chance to say hi and loved your hair - looks good blonde.

Last edited:
I had a lovely time there, I always do I think!

There wasnt so much of the cheapy bits like bottles and things that I was planning on getting but never mind.

I spent all the money I took like I always do, cant wait for the next one!

Booked my conversion to Ez Flow with Georgie Smedley (who is lovely) I'm so excited!

I had a fab time and I came back with some new products for me to have a pay with and loads of inspiration!

I had a truly fabulous time! Really really glad I made the effort and trekked all the way up there. Met lots of geeks, old and new, way too many to mention, had an absolute hoot with Lori Nestore who is one cool lady (sorry... I mean girl!) and really does have THE BEST sense of humour! Also got to spend lots of time with Axiom (swoon) and the Wow team. (Collin, Britta, Julie, Louise and Gemma)

P.S. Loved seeing Collin on the waxing couch :lol::lol:

I was fortunate enough to go both days. I loved every single minute of it... disappointed that I couldn't stay for the geek meet as I was dying to meet someof you as I was on my own but there were lots of shiny things to distract me :)

I spent far too long at the Ezflow stand and spent far too much money :lol: I went to a couple of the forums yesterday but couldn't make the Ezflow one unfortunately... and got to pop in at the competitions and have a look at the encapsulation entries too.

I will definitely be going again next year. Will have to start saving now I think

Last edited:
I went yesterday and ended up spending a fortune :eek: So much for saving the pennies for the Event!

I had booked to see the Greg Salo seminar as I wanted to see an e-file at work in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing and ended up being his model :) I have ummd and arrrd for ages over whether to train with an e-file but wasn't sure as I had no experience with them. It felt really comfortable so I decided to go for it and bought a machine and booked the course during the show. I'd like to think I can have the best of both worlds - the finesse of good application techniques together with the hand file and the e-file for major donkey work like colourchanges.

I only have one complaint - I couldn't go on Sunday so missed meeting all the lovely geeks. I did accidentally meet Cec and someone else who I can't remember her username (sorry) but it would have been nice to have had a really good chat :cry:

Cheers,
Hazel

I enjoyed it (when I eventually found my way around the one-way streets and diversions, to a car park that wasn't full!)

Spent most of my time (and money) on the EzFlow stand. I felt so inspired that when I got home I soaked off the nails I had on...which i only did on saturday...to put on a set of tiger stripe tips using some of the colours from Earthstones Collection.

I even bumped into a few people who i'd been on recent courses with, so it was nice to catch up.

Latest posts

Back