Client from hell, what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you should have tapped on the window and waved at her :lol:
Oooooh, that's fab, I would have done that and gave her a really big wave. I bet she'd have sank into her chair with embarassment:lol:.

On the other hand my father in law is a little bit crackers at times but his view on really annoying, aggravating and irritating people is 'kill them with kindness'. Be over the top nice with them, and take their money at the end of the treatment - who's laughing then eh!!! All the way to the bank i'd say :green:.

I was also annoyed at losing her money, that $75 could have paid half my electricity bill , also because of the situation, I can't feel 100% in charging her a cancellation fee at short notice. Although I'm sure it was her fault.

I would have bit my tongue and done her nails in silence (it wouldn't be the first time) she's a bitch through and through and is often VERY moody, in her own world, taking out aggression on me, non talkative, burying her head in a magazine between personal gripes, then apologetic, but she's never gone anywhere else.

Just to add she has a degree in psychology.

That explains a lot, I worked with a woman once who was deliberately offensive, aggressive, rude and provocative - and admitted she just like to keep people wrong footed.

I'm with you in wanting to text, make a point etc but I usually get over it in 24 hours and tell myself it is the penalty of working with the public. It is horrible though when it happens and I sympathise.

We'd all love to be able to hand pick clients but since we can't (and I don't understand how anyone can afford to) I guess we have to bite the bullet sometimes.

PS
I hope her nails all fall off in 3 days:green:

Why on earth would you buy her flowers????

In my opinion this is such a crazy suggestion, firstly it looks like you are owning up to being the one who made the mistake, secondly if she thinks she is going to get flowers from you each time she turns up at the wrong time for her appointment then she'll try it again and again!

You are obviously fab at what you do, I would just wait till she comes back with her tail between her legs and act as if nothing has happened. She will know, that you know that she has been elsewhere and had an inferior service...... so you will keep face and she will will most probably feel embarrassed.
Please keep us informed as to what happens

Caroline x

Its so hard when you go out of your way for clients - give them that extra mile - then they treat you like turd.

I have still got a difficult client who is lovely most of the time but when she's bad she's horrible - and she's been teetering on a sacking but she has never gone quite that far .

Part of life isn't it? You sail through weeks without a hiccup then 'bham' your knocked for six and dazed from the brutal treatment 1 human being can inflict on you.

Don't do a thing.

She will be back and she will no doubt come clean and tell you she went there - you can nod and say 'I know - I saw you and felt a bit let down' she will probably tell you all about the salon and will end up forgetting the whole thing ever happened - till she pulls another stunt.

But she is a client you will have to double check her appointments everytime to prove to yourself your not in the wrong. Even text her the day before to check she's got it right - saying ' I have to check - I don't want a repeat of the last episode - thankyou!!!!'

Keep us posted on the developements. Its like a docusoap!!!:)

Clients:irked:

I would be inclined to wait for to come back (and she will) then you can quiz her on the state of her nails knowing full well what shes done to them. I don't think you even need to mention that you saw her, the very fact that she will be back with her tail between her legs will be enough for you.

I have a client that always puts me on edge, from day one nothing ever good enough, take to long, to expensive etc etc. yet she always rebooks. Once she must of gone to another salon to get her eyebrows done and they were absolutley trashed awful shape, she knew it & so did I and she has never been anywhere else since. Just knowing that she came back to me was enough and I have had the 'power' ever since :)

she probably got her punishment in the chop shop.

she'll be back when she sees the difference.

this has really made me laugh. we'v all had a customer like this.

totally depends on what you think you should do.

id just leave it, if she comes back she comes back,if shes bearable and books in just smile and take the cash. if you really cant be botherd tho tell her your full. if shes that bothered about having you as her tech shel keep trying to book in so you could just let it go,if not good ridence.

yeh we have to be nice as possible to people because afterall its a game and we do this for the money, but also you dont need to cope with a certain type of person thats forever gonna b a pain and make you worry.

there is bad people out there but they should learn you cant get through life talking to people like crap. these people are 1 out of a million so im sure it wouldnt effect your profits if you let her go.

I can take any kind of personality...hyper...depressed...loud...quite....negative...they all pay me to do their nails and thats what i do. What i DO mind is rudeness that is directed at ME....this i wont stand for. If a client is telling me how she bites everyones heads off then fine...not my business...if she is biting MY head off...its a different matter. I totally understand off days...Tesco don't refuse to serve me when i have a off day...:lol:...we all have them...but if it was every time she came and personally directed to me then i wouldn't be happy to serve her anymore.

Totally agree.

Oh and edit to add: PLEASE NO FLOWERS . . . only from her to you

The worst thing is .... she has insulted me ..... and my relationship with her (and the extra care I take in doing her nails) quote]

I think I hear a price increase for the next time she calls!!!!

Gigi wrote:
"I got a real kick out of bending people my way. People who are rude or aggressive or moaners are unhappy people .. I used to like to make them happy. And I usually succeeded in doing so.

We were actually coached in that in school, "dealing with difficult people". How to carry yourself, etc. (then again in public school in the dark ages, they taught us deportment and manners....eeek!)

I would rather encourage new techs and old on here to do the same for the good health of their businesses.

And for their sanity. Its like law enforcement officers too...you gotta detach yourself to a certain extent, otherwise you'd go batty in a NY minute.

Not saying it isn't insulting, but take the "diss" from the source. Alternatively, you could remember that Karma *is* the great equaliser (My own personal mantra on all manner of bad behaviour...)

:)

Nancy

My thoughts too Geeg, but i'm finding it soooooooooooooo hard to keep my mouth shut, my brain numb or my text thumb still.

The worst thing is .... she has insulted me ..... and my relationship with her (and the extra care I take in doing her nails) will never be the same, she was an educated experiment with the new powder and my pride and joy ......
that bitch should be sending me flowers........ (and a nice vase):)

It's Valium time ....... she has rocked me..... the cow.

o carl, this really is a kick in the guts.. just charge her more next time to file off the crap, but i understand you have spent time telling al she needs to know about the NSS but she still went, it sounds like to me she wanted to piss u off, and SHE WANTED THEM DONE NOW. i think WE have to realise they (THE CLIENT) is NOT OUR FRIEND , they are our pay check.. this is something i learnt very quickley

i am quite suprised with some of the responses to this thread...... and i am not having at go at any one person (its just the way that i have read this thread)........ I understand that many techs are pretty much one man bands so circumstanses are different.

I only work as a tech part time....my main job in in retail...for quite a large high street chain. If i stood on the door of the shop vetting all the customers as they came through the door and telling those that looked miserable/ depressed that they couldnt come in as they would make the staff unhappy....i know exactly what would happen. If we wernt taken to court for some kind of discrimination I am sure we would end upo getting bad press if not in the local newspapers then the national.

I was under the impression that people came to us to be pampered and made to feel good about them selves, if i have to sit there in silence at let them vent off then so be it....i dont have to listen do I?? Some people are just like that. But its all worth it when i take their money at the end of their appointment. I see where you are coming from with regards to client who constantly are no shows or are late....i do think i idea of getting them to phone on the day of their appointment to confirm is a good idea.

I had a client that i seriously could not fit in for a 4 week rebalance (she had cancelled one and then another as her son was starting school)....i tried my best but it was just not possible. She said she would go somewhere else this time and come back for her following appoinment...i was gutted.....but i knew she would be back.

With your situation nailzoo......i would have been so tempted to knock on the window....and quit suprised you didnt, lol!!
But i would wait and see if she books another appointment....she knows that you will know there is another tech work on her nails...so she may be embarressed to come back. If she doesnt i would may be phone her and ask why she hasnt rebooked....she may tell you the truth, and say that she would love to come back to you as you are the better tech!!! i dont know but that would give me the greater satisfaction.....and she will appreciate your work so much more from here on.

Last edited:
Oh dear I have a degree in Psychology...what does that say about me? Not a lot to be honest.

She may not be happy with her new nails and then will come back to you for her next appointment, in that case just continue as before making sure she has written down her future appointments.

If she prefers them then she has been taken off your hands and you won't have to think about her again and from the sounds of things you wouldn't be grieving her loss.

I can see how this would be annoying but it doesn't mean anything about you or your abilities, just that she was mad as she made a mistake and wanted her nails done then and there. :hug:

OOOOOOOOO I know how you feel

I had a client like this a month ago, but after having my whinge on here about her last time she sadly passed away during an epileptic fit.

I vowed never to complain about my clients again, and I havent.

I think its made me a better person in general and professionally. :lol:

Everyone handles situations differently, I wish I had now too !!!!

This has been an interesting thread and I can see the different points of view. It reminded me of years ago when I also did mobile hairdressing. My neighbour asked me to perm her hair. She became a client and I knew she had a few problems but just treated her the same as anyone else and did not get involved.

However I noticed that her behaviour started to change and one day when I was outside she came over to me hurling abuse and started to attack me. I was lucky my boyfriend at the time was there and he pulled her off me. I had bruising and was very shaken up. I phoned the Police and she was charged.

My point is that I never felt really comfortable doing her and I should of refused her as a client. I know this is rare but there are some people you cannot kick into touch and win around. If someone is causing you this much stress is their custom really worth it? Your other customers need you to be on top for them - the ones who really make it a pleasure to do business. When enough is enough - let them go. :hug:

Does anyone seriously think that in giving my advice earlier that I am suggesting that anyone hang on to seriously offencive or violent customers and try to win them around??? These clients are 'one offs'.

All I have been saying (although it is like banging my head against the wall with some :grr:) is at least try with difficult clients, see it as a challenge to win them over and don't make it your first reaction to kick clients out the door. THAT is the point we should all make to new technicians who come to this site for good sound advice in my opinion.

In practically every post at the beginning of this thread .. sacking the client seemed to be the solution offered. THAT is not the way. Building your interpersonal skills is the way to a healthy and thriving business.

dont you think that sme clients are just so much ard work they border on mental abuse? some will go out of their way to be awkward, ungrateful, lower our self esteem... im not sure what my point is here lol, im kinda thinking out loud!

dont you think that sme clients are just so much ard work they border on mental abuse? some will go out of their way to be awkward, ungrateful, lower our self esteem... im not sure what my point is here lol, im kinda thinking out loud!

I'm sorry, I have not had that experience with clients and I do not suffer with low self esteem nor could anyone make me feel low about myself or my skill ... that is just me. I'm not a big head and I don't think I have a big ego .. I am proud of my skill though, and no one would be able to take that away from me.

Awkwardness in a client? I would I would try to over deliver on her expectations.
Ungrateful? I could not careless as long as she pays the bill ... she's bought something why does she need to be grateful to me?

I have made my point (I think I have anyway .. :lol:) so I will not go through it all again. If, however, people cannot handle the public and their various moods, tempers, attitudes etc without their first instinct being to kick them out the door if they don't behave the way we want them to, then maybe one should not be working with the public at all?

I am the same as you Geeg, i am very confident in my skills and in myself, not everyone is though. how many threads are started on here by people who's esteem has been completely knocked by a vile client...

Like you i enjoy the challenge of my job and always strive to over deliver.

HOWEVER, some people give me very negative energy and literally suck the life out of me. These are the ones we could all do without.

Carl - you have the upper hand on her now!
You know she went into the chop shop, you know she'll have a poor job done & boy, will she know it too.:lol:

Sit back, smile to yourself and wait for her to come back as if nothings happened - no doubt minus her nails, as she would not have the guts to show you what the other place had done to your fabaroony nails. Nor would she want you to know she'd been there and realised what a pants job they did & how beautiful your work is on her hands.

Why the hell should you send her flowers! Sod that, she's already lost you an appointments worth of $$'s you don't need to creep round her, she'd bloody love that & treat you with the same attitude she had before. Don't make any contact with her - she'll do all the running if she knows your work is the best & all her mates nails are not a patch on what you do for her. She'll be shamed if she has to show poor quality work to her mates now wouldn't she.

She'll be back.......you'll find her a slot to suit you & then she'll think twice about doing that again.:hug:

Latest posts

Back