Contact Lenses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you wear contact lenses whilest working?

• Yes

Votes: 116 34.0%
  • No

Votes: 225 66.0%

• Total voters
Well, I've finally "bitten the bullet" so to speak...

Im having my eye surgery on 7th November at Ultra Lase in Chester. Im SO EXCITED. Can't wait to be glasses free!

I'll keep you posted and let you know how it goes...

Sara Satchell said:
Well, I've finally "bitten the bullet" so to speak...

Im having my eye surgery on 7th November at Ultra Lase in Chester. Im SO EXCITED. Can't wait to be glasses free!

I'll keep you posted and let you know how it goes...

Well done mate - you'll have to give us scaredy cats a full report on your return :D

i hadn't even considered whether my lens were an issue. all your comments have helped me.
i will wear glasses now when treating clients.
thanks

gemma

Sara Satchell said:
I know I am not willing to risk my eyesight - no matter how small the risk. I can't imagine a world without being able to see....Not see my kids growing up, not being able to do the job i love are enough reasons for starters!

I'm definatley going to Optimax in the New Year - CANT WAIT!

Laser eye surgery is not full proof or without risk.....I have a friend who had laser eye surgery and it DIDNT work and she is worse off now than before....still willing to risk having it done????;)

I rarely wear my glasses for work. I wear contacts, but I only wear one... in my weaker eye... the right. I guess they call it mono? Like I use my right eye with vision correction to see far away, and my left eye with no correction, sees up close for me. Apparently your brain retrains it's self to use one eye for distance, and one eye for up close.

The reason I do this is because I need my glasses/contacts to see further than 4 feet away from my face clearly... but with my glasses/contacts, I can no longer see up close well. I can only see up close well... NOW... without my vision correction. So... if I wear my glasses to work, I have to take them off to do nails, but put them back on to see any further away than what I'm working on right under my nose.

Getting old is a big fat SUCK!!!!

I had my eyes lasered at Optimax in Bristol 10 years ago and have had virtually perfect eyesight ever since. The process has been much improved sice then - my experience was far from pain-free as I had PRK lasering which was all there was back then...... But, it's still the best thing I could have done - no glasses, no lenses - fantastic.

I know the consultation and consent form are scary, but they have to list every possible outcome no matter how unlikely. It might not be right for eveyone, but it certainly was for me!

I've been working with l&p for the last two years, and have worn my contact lenses the whole time, and never had any problems. Surely if we all have a suitable dust extraction system, and are carefull with our liquids we shouldn't be at too much of a risk?

LucyDodds said:
I've been working with l&p for the last two years, and have worn my contact lenses the whole time, and never had any problems. Surely if we all have a suitable dust extraction system, and are carefull with our liquids we shouldn't be at too much of a risk?

The problem seems to be that vapours can permiate the lenses and it could be a while down the line before any damage/problems are noticed by then it could be too late to correct it or even nothing that can be done at all....I will not take that risk with my eyes no matter how small and wear glasses for work.

wow ive just sat and read through all this and there is some very interesting issues to consider.
Ive worn glasses for over 6 yrs now and started using contacts around 3 yrs ago.
Ive recently (saying recently its more like 9 months) started getting very dry, tired, and sometimes gritty aching eyes, ive had all the usual routine checks and it was found i had scaring on my eyes along with dry eye...i never wear them for longer than i should (i wear daily disposables) infact i probably dont wear them for longer than 5hrs a day (thats on the days i do wear them).
It never occured to me that the problem may lay withing the chemicles of the l&p i use when doing nails.
Thinking about it, even when im not doing them and another of the beauticians/nail techs is, im still exposed to the same risks.(fumes & dust)
Ive now decided after reading this to wear my glasses everyday while working for a period of maybe a month to see if i have any improvement on the symptoms im having.

I guess what does for one doesnt always do for another, everybody is different, everybody has their own views but ithink this is one that may go on a little longer...
Great topic!!

Only cos I don't have to :green:

Yes i use my contact lenses,but since gel doesnt smell as strong its been okey.Im aslo not used to wearing glasses so when i wear them everything spins around..lol...
But i can feel when i open the UVgel wipe off solution the contact lenses go dry..So its probably best for me to get used to my glasses:eek: ...

I dont need any help with my eye sight but if and when i do i wont be wearing contacts to work in, i was trained by Creative and the dangers of wearing contact lenses was addressed before we were even given any products to train with, the students in my class that wore them was asked to remove them before we began and advised to wear glasses the next day:hug:

Thankfully glasses are a lot nicer now than they were when I first got mine & I thrive on the specsavers 2 for one offers LOL Although they did just recently annoy the pants off me when I went for a new pair & wanted sunglasses as my second pair, apparently they only do that offer in the summer ........... guess they think driving in the winter sun is just a ball of laughs for us poor blind beggers :lol: So I am now squinting my way along the road in the sunshine until the offer comes back in next year.

It only costs an extra £10 - £15 to have the tint on one pair if there is no offer on

Hmmmmm. After nail school ended, I went to my eye doctor and told him about this issue. He changed the type of lens I was using (to one that's so thin it's like plastic wrap) and said these would be ok in the salon but to try them out for a period of time. I notice I do need to put drops in them for dryness as the day goes on, and take them off by 8:00 at night. I guess I should invest in a pair of glasses............

i always wear my specs when doing treatments

wow this has got me thinking, i wear contacts all the time the monthly disposable ones, and i wouldnt be able to work in my glasses as they never stay on my nose, ive tried so many styles and had them adjusted so many times over the years, they just dont last in the correct position,

but if it is as detrimental to my eyesight as everyone is saying, im going to struggle, because i havent got a decent pair of glasses at the moment, just ones i wear of a night etc while im in the house, and it sounds like when i go on the creative course i will be asked to leave my contacts out (wont be able to see a thing) so going to have to go and spend even more money now on new glasses before i can take my course,

grrrrr feels like every step of the way theres a stumbling block, just had few offers of help with my models (which was what was stopping me going ahead and booking) and now i just thought to myself ooh i might go ahead on monday ring them and book, and blam lol something else i need to sort first

i wont be beat i will get this training , i know its what i want to do,

will go see optician next week

Nicky x

This thread is really interesting as I too wear the monthly disposeables and it was only because I've just bought "The Complete Nail Technician" by Marian Newman and on page 55 it says in a little tip box to the side "Always change your contact lenses for glasses before you start to treat a client". Apparently, as mentioned, it is the vapours from the nail products that can be absorbed and damage your eyes.

I'm assuming this isn't really relevent to clients as they are only in the chair for a short time? I've never been asked if I wear contact lenses when I've had my nails done.

I have worn my lenses for about 18 years and have just signed up with Vision Express as I hated my previous optician (but we won't go into that, lol) they have given me ones that have a higher water content as I suffer now from dryers eyes. Whether that's through contact lens use over the years or just cos I'm getting on a bit now, I don't know, lol! Anyway, had the same thoughts as Nicky's Nails regarding the training. What I thought I would do is wear my lenses there (as I have to drive from Portsmouth to Salisbury and theres no way my glasses would get me there because as Nicky, I have an old pair that I put on at night and are a weaker prescription) but just take my lens pot and take them out when I get there, wear my glasses for the day and put them in again to drive home. Not a pallava (unless you drop a lens!!:rolleyes:) Once I've done the course, I'm intending to go mobile part-time after my regular work is done for the day, so all I would do is ask the client if I can use their bathroom and take them out in there or in the car before I go in. Sounds like a lot of hassle, but the information regarding laser treatment in previous posts has been of real interest so have bookmarked them to read a bit later. That's something I too have been considering for years but never had the money or conviction, or I suppose if I'm honest the need to have it done, but if it's a choice, I'd rather not have to fumble for my specs every morning or try to find the contact that's fallen on the bathroom floor amongst the washing ever again!

Nicky, don't see it as a stumbling block, see it as a challange that you have to find a solution for and it seems like you are working hard towards your goals. Hard work makes luck, so don't give up!

Sara Satchell - did you get your surgery?

Sarah. x

So does this only effect technicians? Constant exposure or any at all? I guess i won't be wearing my contacts either anyways :/

Sorry this update is so long in coming, but it had completley slipped my mind!

I had the surgery done on 6th November 2005. It was a litlle daunting and I was quite apprehensive about the procedure, but it all went fine, and was over really quickly.

I could see much more clearly immediatley, even though my eyes had drops in that make them go blurry. After about 24 hours my vision was better than 20/20. I had several follow up appointments over the following 12 months and everything was fine.

I went for the more expensive treatment as there was a lesser chance of having problems with my night vision (in certain cases you can end up with having permanent halo's round lights in your night vision).

Anyway, 18 months on my eyesight is still fantastic. It's so nice not having to wear glasses during the hot summer months or faf around with contact lenses and best of all I now have 2 pairs of designer, non prescription sunglasses!!

This thread has actually made me feel a lot more at ease with my new glasses. I stressed bigtime, thinking no nail technicians wear glasses...dont ask me why. I wear my glasses for all treatments now, never even thought about using contacts, and now I wont be thinking about it :)

Latest posts

Back