Where did the Oldies go? (as in Geek-mentors)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi geeks I'm am quite new to this still myself only joined in July started my own business doing mobile beauty in may and have 7 years salon experience so guess I'm a newby still compared to others on here, I must admit I've not posted that much on here from the fear of been jumped on! After reading loads of fab threads I love the site and have found it a massive help and have recommend it to a few of my friends, I completely agree with all that's been said I just hope all us newbys don't get tarred with the same brush! It would be such a shame for a brilliant thing to become ruined :( xxx

This is how i feel sometimes. Im here since june, in the industry since march - so still VERY new to everything. Not afraid of critisizm, use the search button, lurk around, etc., but it is quite scary to post a q/reply in case someone comes along and makes a full of me.:-(

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

I'm still here Vic, good to see you, lol.

I think it is a mixture of reasons really. More so that people have moved on with their businesses etc.

Well I wouldn't be going anywhere as this site has helped me alot. I have met some fantastic people and have learnt so much.

As Dawn said, some of the threads are a bit unsavory. I wouldn't want to give advice to anyone who can't even find a name for the salon; complains about a product they used once or twice without giving it a chance; asking me where to find cheap products etc.

Some of us do chat alot on Face book though!xx

My 2 cents re the people who are making some members feel like they can't post etc... don't get involved with them, leave them to the Team :wink2:

Let them continue with their ignorance, if they won't listen to good advice then simply move on to those members who are interested in gaining more knowledge and are willing to listen to the great advice we see given freely every day on here :D

Glad it's not just me then :) I too can take criticism and welcome any advise in any form! I actually cringe at some posts though! Xxx

We often get threads like this where people all say the things they dislike about the site. But hey what are you doing about it? The site is what you guys all make of it. If you keep doing what you are doing then you will keep getting what you have got.

If you sit back and seethe because someone has said something you dont like and then eventually you just leave, then how has that helped. You have just contributed to making the site into the things you are all talking about - where have all the "oldies" gone.

If you all go quiet and say nothing then all we will get are threads which are only answered by amateurs or distributors looking to sell something LOL.

We all need to remember we were newbies once too and be constructive in our criticisms if criticisms are needed. Yes the search option is an annoying one but it takes less time to search than to post. Some newbies are like excited puppies they just want their question out there LOL.

We all seem to forget that there are many ways to do things, many "approved" training courses and who says ours is the right one.

I agree that there are some practices which are downright unsafe.

This is a teaching and learning site and there are a lot of people who are willing to learn and also to teach. We do also get the ones who want to cut corners and do everything as cheap as chips, but they will soon go. We need to nurture the real ones and not scare them off. They will be the oldies of the future.

Report the posts that are like that.

If I had a dollar for every time a thread like this has appeared over the years, I would have like... about $36. Its mainly the natural evolution that Elton John sung about called "The Circle of Geeeeek".

The site is actually busier than its ever been and new blood (which will turn to veteran blood given time) arrives fresh daily to fill the spot of those that find something else to fill their time.

Ultimately, this site is a community and is a reflection of what you put in. If you bore of some of the discussions and therefore don't contribute, you may bore of what comes out.

Meanwhile, we can all chill, be happy and support one another through the awesome industry that is our own :D

Where did the oldies go?
Well I am still here lol, communities evolve a bit like your local neighbourhood. People move on. Imagine a street in geeksville, you have 37,851 residents, thats a huge street, ok its more like a town. Not everybody is going to stay in that street for ever, better jobs come along, sometimes the grass seems greener in a another town. Sometimes people go off travelling the world.

Same with a forum, some people leave because they either have left the industry, moved their business on to another level, so they just haven't got time, some people move because they just don't think the site is for them any more. It happens, its a shame but it's life......it doesn't make the site less valuable, it just makes it ever changing. New people, new ideas, new topics, old topics revisited.

A lot of the times I have found that threads get a bit heated lol...and thats not because the inital post was to blame but......
Sometimes people get carried away, but also some don't read the whole thread, they just pick it up at the last page, and loose the essence of the thread..... what may have started off as a post with regards to "where to get great training from" can end up with .... "no my dog hasn't got fleas and I don't like the way you implied it has" lol...then spending 2 pages convincing everybody that my dog is flea free, slating all those that have even hinted at the fact.......Ok this is a bit OTT but do you get where I am coming from........

If you gonna reply to a post it is always a safe bet to read all the pages, that way you can judge for yourself where it has gone off topic or has become side tracked..... then you have a choice, you can either ignore the irrelevant stuff and reply to the post keeping to the subject or you can join in and BMW and add to the confusion......

I read all the pages in a thread and try to keep on the subject..... If I have any beef it goes in a PM......When I reply to a post I always try to picture the person I am replying too reading this.... will they benefit from this, will they get upset, am I making myself clear, am I taking it out on them cause I have had a crap day........Will my humour be perceived as humour or as sarcasm... depending on the persons sense of humour they can see it as either either......

We are a global family and familys scrap, fight and then they make up.....but like a real family, that is also sensitive to the feelings of other family members, we should be sensitive to other geeks too, we are not here to belittle but to give a little......
No one on here should feel that they can't post......or think OMG now who will I upset this time..but feel that they can be certain, they will get all the support , help and advise from this fab site......

Now I wrote this with a grin on my face, a Voddy and Orange in hand and ciggies near by.......

This is how i feel sometimes. Im here since june, in the industry since march - so still VERY new to everything. Not afraid of critisizm, use the search button, lurk around, etc., but it is quite scary to post a q/reply in case someone comes along and makes a full of me.:-(

Jurate, don't be afraid to post. We're not all scary monsters. :wink2:

Hey ... I don't think you'll be checking out of nowhere Missus!!!

I don't think its in your nature to let these just qualified know-it-alls with no manners and no idea of how to discuss or debate, push you off the site or turn you into a ghost.

Continue to let your brains, education and life experience out-wit, out-smart and out-stay the likes of whom we are discussing!!

Jacqui xx

:Love:

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of the 'oldies' have moved on with their businesses/lives etc... but, there's still quite a few who come onto the site, they just may not be as vocal as they used to be :wink2:

This happens from time to time and is a natural progression in communities.

I am still here guys. I dont always visit the forums as much as I used to. I stick to the groups mainly but do visit here every now and again.

After my little 'break' I am back as busier than I ever was in this industry before, but to be honest I think what I want and need out of this forum is different now - like many of us that have 'been about for a while'.

The problem I find is that many of the threads that are about - are really no different than those from all those years back when I was fairly new - and I feel all the answers are already there - for those that look. :)

I do miss the olden days but no point in looking back though - only forward! x x x :)

Jurate, don't be afraid to post. We're not all scary monsters. :wink2:

Gr8nailz, actually, ive seen you post hundreds of times, crossed your path a few and really learned to respect you :) there are certain geeks that i really look up to in here, but i wont mention names just in case i forget to mention others :-D wouldnt be fare :)

Gr8nailz, actually, ive seen you post hundreds of times, crossed your path a few and really learned to respect you :) there are certain geeks that i really look up to in here, but i wont mention names just in case i forget to mention others :-D wouldnt be fare :)

:')

Fully agree :) xxx

Exactly how I feel, I've learned more on this site than I could of imagined. I really appreciate the advice and silly as it may sound, actually feel a bit star struck when I have the privilege of speaking directly to the 'big' geeks lol.
So thank you for taking the time to read through and comment on the same threads over and over again :Love:

I really appreciate the advice and silly as it may sound, actually feel a bit star struck when I have the privilege of speaking directly to the 'big' geeks lol.

I'm the same hun :o

Im only a newbie posting here but I do appreciate the posts of some of the longer standing members. If I can just state from my point of view for a second, I totally 100% understand that a thread may have been posted for the millionth time but it's not always someone too lazy to use the search function. Sometimes it's just an excited person looking to have a conversation.

The search fuction has been an unbelievable help to me, along with tutorials, but a lot of the answers are threads from a couple of years ago. I actually brought this up in a thread before.

With any online community you are going to have posters you clash with or you just don't 'get'. I have people on here that I'm guessing they have good intentions, once they post I don't bother with a thread anymore due to their rudeness.

That's life. I'm not looking for sugar coated responses, I'm also not looking for a 'you know nuffink newbie' answer either. I'm just looking for experience and a few tricks of the trade.

It's like beeping at a learner driver when they stall on a hill start, there is no need for it, you were'nt born driving and it doesn't always come natural.

I will say again though that I am hugely appreciative of some of the more experienced posters on here, they are a god send and regardless of age are like a mammy to others.

Im only a newbie posting here but I do appreciate the posts of some of the longer standing members. If I can just state from my point of view for a second, I totally 100% understand that a thread may have been posted for the millionth time but it's not always someone too lazy to use the search function. Sometimes it's just an excited person looking to have a conversation.

The search fuction has been an unbelievable help to me, along with tutorials, but a lot of the answers are threads from a couple of years ago. I actually brought this up in a thread before.

With any online community you are going to have posters you clash with or you just don't 'get'. I have people on here that I'm guessing they have good intentions, once they post I don't bother with a thread anymore due to their rudeness.

That's life. I'm not looking for sugar coated responses, I'm also not looking for a 'you know nuffink newbie' answer either. I'm just looking for experience and a few tricks of the trade.

It's like beeping at a learner driver when they stall on a hill start, there is no need for it, you were'nt born driving and it doesn't always come natural.

I will say again though that I am hugely appreciative of some of the more experienced posters on here, they are a god send and regardless of age are like a mammy to others.

i feel the same. so true about through learner driver comparison x

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

The learner driver comparison is a good one. How would you feel if the moment someone passed their test, they said to you "I have passed my test, so therefore know more than you. I'm a better driver than you because my lessons are fresh in my mind, and you learn't 20 years ago"
I encountered a similar thing but in the context of hair *sigh*

Nobody minds helping a newbie, nobody minds giving advice to help a fellow professional. What I do mind is being shouted down because I say what people don't want to hear.

The learner driver comparison is a good one. How would you feel if the moment someone passed their test, they said to you "I have passed my test, so therefore know more than you. I'm a better driver than you because my lessons are fresh in my mind, and you learn't 20 years ago"
I encountered a similar thing but in the context of hair *sigh*

Nobody minds helping a newbie, nobody minds giving advice to help a fellow professional. What I do mind is being shouted down because I say what people don't want to hear.

Oh I completely understand , I can't be bothered with people like that.

i think that most of the opinions are valid. it just depends what attitude people have. there's no need to shout and bitch. they should b grateful for advice. i know i am.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back