Mobile Geeking and other updates

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Been busy adding a few updates to the site and fixing a few issues...

First off, I have added mobile services which is essentially a stripped down version of the site designed to be viewed on mobile devices. Though the mobile version lacks in a lot of the bells and whistles, it does allow you to browse the forums from a mobile device much faster and easier than before. The mobile version kicks in when you browse to the site on your mobile device (note that not all mobile devices are supported).

• After a short hiatus, the weekly newsletters are going out again.
  • I added Ajax registration features that should speed up new user registration.
  • I tweak the shout box so it didn't look so goofy
  • Chat rooms are up again :)
  • Search issue should be sorted now :D
  • I also fixed various other bugs on the site
nJoy

Last edited:
Thank you Sam for your constant management and support to the site. I would be lost without this place :green:.

I have noticed an improvement in the 5 second delay although I had got so used to it that it didn't bother me anymore, lol. Awww gee, I'm gonna miss it :lol:.

Thank you.

Oh dear, I can see that I am going to spend even more time on this place with it being mobile now! :lol:

good stuff!!!
no rest for the wicked eh GMG?! :D

x

:eek: How on earth did you know I have just got a new phone that allows me to access my wireless internet !!!
This is just what I needed ....YAY SAM !!!!

Now I can geek in bed wooohoooooooo

Hi there I really like the idea of using the mobile phone to access salon geek.com, cheers

Sam,

Thank you for your time & effort in doing all this stuff to the site.

I'm not even sure if I even benefit from most of it, but I don't care, you're just a star for taking the time to ensure all us geeks are happy bunnies.

Thanks again :hug:xxxx

im so pleased the wait 5 seconds thingy will be gone,

thanks samxxxxxxxx

He He.... I'm geeking on my mobile right now at a boring family dinner.
Sam, very well done, this is friggin fantastic.
Posted via Mobile Device

Can't wait for that 5 sec timer to be gone, then I will be on the site more often.:eek: That will mean no more housework, cooking, and washing, oh well listening to all the geeks is more fun.

You've made my Blackberry very happy, Sam! Thanks :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Nice work Sam :)

Do you write your own custom PHP for any of the site, or is it mainly a question of integrating various open source modules? I'm intrigued as I am a Java geek myself...

I prefer the web version of geek which i cant access anymore even with my mobile's web browser... Boo hoo!! The mobile version automatically kicks in. Is it only forums that can be accessed via mobile or have a missed something? I cant seem to able to go anywhere else on geek
Posted via Mobile Device

Ruth - Most items scripts I use are a mix of vanilla and customised commercial scripts. I also write a good chunk myself. I don't do java, but some javascript (they share nothing in common except for the name ;) )

Nailique... what mobile device were you using? I have a pretty decent screen, but it still is a pain to surf the site normally with. Ill look for an option to swap over to a non-mobile version of the site if you want. Just give me some time :)

Chat room is up.
Search issue should be sorted.

just thought i would post so i can look at myself with ~ mobile device ~ under my name later when i get back to my pc lol :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Been busy adding a few updates to the site and fixing a few issues...

First off, I have added mobile services which is essentially a stripped down version of the site designed to be viewed on mobile devices. Though the mobile version lacks in a lot of the bells and whistles, it does allow you to browse the forums from a mobile device much faster and easier than before. The mobile version kicks in when you browse to the site on your mobile device (note that not all mobile devices are supported).

• After a short hiatus, the weekly newsletters are going out again.
  • I added Ajax registration features that should speed up new user registration.
  • I tweak the shout box so it didn't look so goofy
  • Chat rooms are up again :)
  • Search issue should be sorted now :D
  • I also fixed various other bugs on the site
nJoy
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Ooh, Thankyou Sam! It is MUCH better on my blackberry! Oh, it means i'll be geeking all day now, not just in the evenings!
Xx
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Mr Geek I can now search without having to wait 5 secs, it was doing my nut in so :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Woohoo. I can post from my cruddy little mobile
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Sam, this is awesome)))) nothing to be missed now)))
Posted via Mobile Device

Latest posts

Back